Need Advise - OPPO BDP-105 or Teac UD-501

acjacob

I understand that there is a growing buzz about DSD files. I wanted to see what was available. I have read some good reviews about the Teac UD-501 DAC & I understand that it will handle DSD files superbly.

At the same time I understand that there is a new update wherein the OPPO BDP-105 (& the 103) can now handle DSD files natively.

Since both are priced at around the same levels I was wondering which one to go for.
Is there anyone here who has used DS files on the new OPPOs? Anyone here who has tried out the TEAC?
Please advice on the better option

Aah! Finally a fellow brother FM in quest of either the delectable Oppo BDP-105 or settle in for a dedicated DAC....
I have a huge crush on the Oppo since it has a full fledged disc transport system that will accept various formats from CD, SACD, DVD, DVD-A, Blu-ray et al..
I have a sizeable disc collection, ergo this is an important consideration.

I did read up on the TEAC & it has some really impressive specs. Hopefully some FM can post his/her experience with it...

It depends on what you want. If you are only into music then the Teac would be a good option. However if you need a good one box option for movies as well as music then Oppo is the way to go. I have Oppo 103 and have played SCADs. However I think my Emotiva UMC 200 can't handle DSD I have to change the Oppo output from DSD to PCM. Even then it sounds better than CD.
FM Santy has the Teac so you can ask him. I know that he is very happy with it.

However I think my Emotiva UMC 200 can't handle DSD I have to change the Oppo output from DSD to PCM. Even then it sounds better than CD.

Hi Docd,
I'm presuming you have connected the 103's digital outs to the Emotiva, yes? From this I infer the Emotiva is not DSD compatible. Am I correct in presuming this?
In that case can you use the 103's analog outs into the Emotiva & check dsd's audio output in terms.if dynamics, clarity etc.Would be good to hear your take on it.
I have an extensive collection of Flat rips from my CDs & lately have started developing a preference for HD Audio content that is available in FLAC & DSD formats.

Hi Docd,
I'm presuming you have connected the 103's digital outs to the Emotiva, yes? From this I infer the Emotiva is not DSD compatible. Am I correct in presuming this?
In that case can you use the 103's analog outs into the Emotiva & check dsd's audio output in terms.if dynamics, clarity etc.Would be good to hear your take on it.
I have an extensive collection of Flat rips from my CDs & lately have started developing a preference for HD Audio content that is available in FLAC & DSD formats.
I have connected the 103s analogue outs to the Emotiva. DSDs definitely give better dynamics and clarity. However I don't have a 5.1 speaker setup at present so I can only comment on stereo output of SACDs. If you ask me, SACDs are an under-rated source. If you start hearing them more often, you will not like to hear plain vanilla CDs again. FLAC files on usb drives/hard drives also play well on the Oppo. Oppo 103's internal DAC, even though it's not the famed Sabre DAC of the 105, is quite good, sounding better than the Emotiva's AD DAC. I don't have any DSD files on usb drives yet, though I am planning to try them out.
If you are interested in a fairly reasonably priced solution for music and movies, 103 is the way to go. Of course budget permitting, 105 will be better. For video, nothing in this price point can compare to Oppo.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back