Need assistance in selecting a stereo amp.

Karimbil

Hi All,

Great forum. Boon to people who are just starting on this journey.

I need assistance on selecting the right Stereo Amplifier. Following are the details.

Speakers - Elac FS 108.2

Preferred music - Metal, Jazz, Instrumental and classical.

Room Size - 12 by 15 feet

Source - PC and cell phone.

Price - Not fixed but nothing heavy. Looking for a budget solution as I have just started. Will prefer pre owned.

Kindly advice. Thank you.

Ajith

Have you bought the speakers already? Did you hear them ,then which amp was it connected to?
I looked up the specs. 4 ohm speakers. Will require a good stable at 4 ohm amp if you need to play loud. approx Budget would be nice as cheap Chinese amps to prices for made in heaven amps are available. :rolleyes:
Try Peachtree amps with built in DAC,s. amazing to just plug into the laptop. Might need a Chromecast like device for streaming from mobile.

Hi. Thanks for responding. Yes, have picked the speakers some time ago and they are 4 ohms. Heard them on the previous owners set up. Cambridge amp, not sure of the model. Looked at Peachtree, starts from $1000. Beyond my budget. Willing to spend around 20 k. How about Marantz PM 5005. Please advice.

Last edited:
You can also look at Norge amplifiers. Well regarded for the sound quality,

Your speakers go down to 3.3ohms impedance.. yikes! And you listen to metal.

I honestly don't think an entry level stereo integrated amp is going to cut it. You need an amp with a fairly strong power supply and ability to support 4ohm loads.

My suggestion would be to either go for a power amp instead of an integrated. Like Emotiva A-300 or any power amp that is roughly rated at 100W in 8ohms and also supports 4ohms officially in its specifications. Or go for a 100w class D amp - there are plenty of chinese made class D amps at very reasonable prices. And class D topology generally supports low impedances better. Or perhaps the best option for you is a Crown XLS Drivecore series amp. Like the XLS 1502. You might spend more (25-30k) but its resale value and after sales support are both excellent.

By the way, I was driving my speakers for a very long time with just a power amp - no preamp or integrated amp. And they were playing just fine. You just control volume from the player.

Last edited:
Hi. Just yesterday I bought GHS the Byford Audio STR-100bt on Hifimart. Comes with inbuilt blue tooth module so you can stream music directly from your mobile. It does 160w per channel @4 ohms. Was recommended by them. Call them.

Hi. Just yesterday I bought GHS the Byford Audio STR-100bt on Hifimart. Comes with inbuilt blue tooth module so you can stream music directly from your mobile. It does 160w per channel @4 ohms. Was recommended by them. Call them.
What speakers are you using it with?

Hi All,

Great forum. Boon to people who are just starting on this journey.

I need assistance on selecting the right Stereo Amplifier. Following are the details.

Speakers - Elac FS 108.2

Preferred music - Metal, Jazz, Instrumental and classical.

Room Size - 12 by 15 feet

Source - PC and cell phone.

Price - Not fixed but nothing heavy. Looking for a budget solution as I have just started. Will prefer pre owned.

Kindly advice. Thank you.

Ajith
I own Norge awesome. Less costly as compared to MNC .

Dear All,

Thanks for all the responses. Sorry about not replying earlier.

Went through the suggested options and most seemed apt. Volt especially surprised me with their price, and the reviews point them to be perfect starting gear. Tight work schedule and other priorities ensured that this project take a back seat, until i started talking to Abhishek, a new found friend and audiophile, and he brought up a Sansui AU 5900 being available and that he was visiting the seller to look at a CD player. I tagged along, speakers in tow and now the beautiful little piece sits at my home. Now, to find the right source !! Suggestions are welcome and Thanks again.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back