Need clarity on display refresh rate..!!!

60hz is enough for..?

• full hd tv

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • below 43inch tv

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • not for 4k tv

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • enough for 4k tv

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

vergil vivek

Hi,

i would like to buy one smart tv.

when i checked "how to buy tv" websites. all saying refresh rate is important.

i think 120hz tv are good in watching movie, sports and playing games.

few days before leeco lanched super3 TV series.

in that Super3 X55 is attractive with 4k display and 55inch..

but refresh rate is 60hz only.

can everyone pls conform 60hz refresh rate is enough for 4k display...

i'm really confused...!!!

Even I am confused about the importance of refresh rates. Barring video games (?), there is no content in the world that I am aware of that has more than 60 frames per second. Only 4k uses 60 fps, the rest of them are all max 30 fps (PAL, NTSC, film, tv, hdtv, dvd, bluray). The blurays with full hd are also max 30fps. So what does a 120hz tv do? Create frames using software? Wont that be equivalent to converting mp3 to flac or using upscaling from SD to HD. In other words, you are trying to create data that does not exist, and we all know how well that goes.

I also notice that all the cheap tvs in the market have a refresh rate of 60hz, be it micromax, vu, infocus, sanyo etc etc etc. And all the more branded ones offer more than 60hz (120hz to 400hz) , be it sammy or panny or sony or LG or philips etc.

So can someone say with certainity and experience that a 120hz tv will be better than a 60hz, all else being equal, say for some sports or fast action scene?

first of you need to check whats the native refresh rate. Almost all new Tv's have 60hz for sure you will not find below then 60hz for FHD even in cheap Tv's.
Most of the big brands have some feature like Truemotion for LG I think. Samsung uses something else and so does Sony. They all are feature but are not true 400hz or 240hz and such. However samsung, sony, lg, panasonic, vizio, and other sell true 120hz native panels but you will not find any of those in India.
All the advertised refresh rate here in India are native 60hz only. Vu uses a motion smoothness effectively which doubles 60hz to 120hz in Iconium series 4k Tv. But turning on this feature drastically reduces picture quality and introduces soap opera effect.

To answer your question 60hz is more than enough for everything and is basically then minimum now for Tv's. You will never find any 60fps content in any DTH provider to fully utilize the 60hz refresh rate. Gaming can be done at 60fps and also you can find 60fps videos on youtube.

120HZ is better than 60hz for sure but the panel needs to be native 120hz not software feature built into the Tv. Most of the 3D Tv's are minimum true 120hz. Id does feel a lot and I mean a lot smoother than 60hz. However, for normal Tv viewing and even for movie buffs 60hz is more than enough. 60hz is not the only factor when we are talking about fast action scene, response time and which type of panel it is also is a huge factor.

Simply 60hz is more than enough for everything right now.

However samsung, sony, lg, panasonic, vizio, and other sell true 120hz native panels but you will not find any of those in India.
All the advertised refresh rate here in India are native 60hz only. Vu uses a motion smoothness effectively which doubles 60hz to 120hz in Iconium series 4k Tv. But turning on this feature drastically reduces picture quality and introduces soap opera effect.
Thats not true, most of good brand tvs on flipkart are listing their native refresh rates in 120hz or higher.
120HZ is better than 60hz for sure but the panel needs to be native 120hz not software feature built into the Tv.
Why will 120hz be better than 60hz when there is no content that carries that many frames. Thats one basic doubt i got about this whole thing.

Frame rate refers to the capture device (or the source) and refresh rate refers to the viewing device.

Also, it is a misconception that 24 FPS is always shown at 24 Hz. Simply not true. Theaters in fact have a refresh rate of 48 Hz or even 72 Hz. 24 FPS at 24 Hz in fact is unwatchable, it will have too much flicker.

A higher refresh rate will mean better video quality, the same image is being drawn multiple times on the screen. Twice at 48 Hz, thrice at 72 Hz and so on for a source material of 24 FPS.

PS: 24 FPS is only true for movies. These days we have data from so many sources like streaming devices, YouTube, PlayStation, Xbox, etc. and all of them can and may have different FPS. Sports have typically moved to 60 FPS these days.

Thats not true, most of good brand tvs on flipkart are listing their native refresh rates in 120hz or higher.

Why will 120hz be better than 60hz when there is no content that carries that many frames. Thats one basic doubt i got about this whole thing.

Most movies are mastered at 24hz (or 23.976)
120hz allows for a 1:1 playback of 24p movies by maintaining a single frame for 5 cycles (5:5 pulldown)

Other refresh rates will typically require interpolation techniques to run the content - what this leads to is a slight jerk (known as judder) especially in fast moving/panning shots

Do note that having a 120hz TV is not enough to play perfectly smooth videos..
Most android boxes for example are not capable of sending content at 24hz thereby making the whole advantage of 120hz a moot point

Bother with the refresh rate only if
a) Movies from a media playback device are important to you
b) Your playback device is capable of outputting 24p

Do note that judder free playback (or rather the lack of it) is one of those things that won't bother you unless you actually get used to true 24p after which you can't go back...
My old Sony that used to look perfectly fine to me now feels absolutely unwatchable for movies after I got used to watching movies on a newer Samsung (JS9000)

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back