Need Floorstanders for my Onkyo sr-506

iaudio

Hello everyone,

I recently bought an Onkyo SR 506
ONKYO SIGHT & SOUND - INDIA

Actually I listen to Music(65%) more than Movies(35%), but got the Onkyo when I was in Kuwait as it was being offered at a very reasonable price.

I would like to use it presently for 2 channel music with a pair of floorstanders( maybe even add a subwoofer later for all those hip hop/rap/electronic music I play).

Please suggest fs speakers in the 20k range which would pair well with the onkyo. I want decent detailing( for the budget) with tight bass.
I listen to all kinds of music that comes my way i.e I love being exposed to more and more genres. But what I listen to most is Rock and Hindi/Tamil(lots of Rahman, Harris jayraj) /Malayalam songs. I also listen to Hip hop, Arabic, carnatic etc. I love Kishore da, Yesudas, Bryan Adams, U2, Dire Straits, ABBA.
I am a sucker for any music with guitar sounds, spanish guitar especially.

I live in Cochin, so venues to audition speakers are not many. Hi fi links is the best option here and Mr. Melvin, there, is a very knowledgable person. I auditioned the gale 3030(?) and the q acoustics 1030, with a ca 340 amp and ca 540 cdp. I really liked the q acoustics(27k). He also offered Mission m33i(18k).

The sources you auditioned (CA) is very different than the Onkyo re: the sound qualities or signature.

Also your budget limits your options a bit. I would up it a bit ~5-10K and look at

Mission
Q-Acoustics
Monitor Audio
Morduant
Wharedale

if you intend to go with a sub, then a good bookshelf with a sub will sound as dynamic as a floor stander when tuned correctly.

Hello everyone,

I recently bought an Onkyo SR 506
ONKYO SIGHT & SOUND - INDIA

Actually I listen to Music(65%) more than Movies(35%), but got the Onkyo when I was in Kuwait as it was being offered at a very reasonable price.

I would like to use it presently for 2 channel music with a pair of floorstanders( maybe even add a subwoofer later for all those hip hop/rap/electronic music I play).

Please suggest fs speakers in the 20k range which would pair well with the onkyo. I want decent detailing( for the budget) with tight bass.
I listen to all kinds of music that comes my way i.e I love being exposed to more and more genres. But what I listen to most is Rock and Hindi/Tamil(lots of Rahman, Harris jayraj) /Malayalam songs. I also listen to Hip hop, Arabic, carnatic etc. I love Kishore da, Yesudas, Bryan Adams, U2, Dire Straits, ABBA.
I am a sucker for any music with guitar sounds, spanish guitar especially.

I live in Cochin, so venues to audition speakers are not many. Hi fi links is the best option here and Mr. Melvin, there, is a very knowledgable person. I auditioned the gale 3030(?) and the q acoustics 1030, with a ca 340 amp and ca 540 cdp. I really liked the q acoustics(27k). He also offered Mission m33i(18k).

Last edited:
Hi,

I suggest you try to audition MS Avant 906i or 908i floorstanders which are really good for the money (you have to stretch it a bit).

Hi Fi Links is the dealer in cochin

Regards

sub

Thank you for your replies, marsilians and sub.

Yeah hI fi links has Mordaunt short avant 906 for around 28k or something. I know that for a proper evaluation I will have to take my 506 and my usual player( a cowon pmp playing flac) along.
From this thread I hope to learn what kind of speakers or which brand of speakers complement the Onkyo.
I have been coming across many posts saying that the Onkyo as an amp is bright, so it needs slightly laid back speakers to balance it out.I know my budget gives me very less choice. I am also looking at used stuff.
I would have gone the bookshelf with sub route, but a bookshelf would mean spkr stands and such, more expense, which I d rather spend on a floorstander.

Also I have heard the ms avant 906 is a lil low on bass. True?
Can anybody who has auditioned both the mission m33i and the q acoustics 1030 tell me how they compare?

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies, marsilians and sub.

I have been coming across many posts saying that the Onkyo as an amp is bright, so it needs slightly laid back speakers to balance it out.

Not necessarily. Those are generic statements. It depends on what you liked so please dont go with generic statements. Mars is extremely correct. Bookshelf with Subs sound awesome if tuned properly. Also, they are very compact. It might also help your budget.

Getting a stand for a Bookshelf is not expensive, you can even make it yourself, check teh DIY section where people have made a stand for some 700 rs. Pls dont think about these things and decide a speaker. Speaker is the most important part.

Do listen to both floor standing ones and book+sub combination and pick one that sounds fatigue free and pleasant and resonant to you. Dont gowith notion Onkyo is bright so need laid back etc.

Iau,

I would also suggest what most other mems have been saying for that money you get a lot more quality bookshelves than FS. You get a lot more options from different brands.

I would also suggest a step by step approach to building your hifi like get a quality bookshelve now keep them on some table or some place for the time being (it wont sound all that bad the stand only makes it sound better) and then think either about buying a speaker stand or making one.

then may be in future is you really need it add a sub to it.

Floorstander in this budget cant stand up to bookshelves in the same range in terms of SQ.

Few options you got in that budget include (Bookshelves)

Tannoy
Mordaunt Short
Monitor Audio
PSB
Wharfedale
Polk ( I dont like this one but it comes under the budget)

Cant think of any more right now.

Another suggestion would be to schedule a visit to Bangalore or Chennai to audition these speakers you get a lot more options here than Cochin.

Btw how much did you get that 506 for from KW
It was a pretty good deal. I got it for approx equivalent of Rs 13.5k,iirc, with extended 3 year warranty from X cite- Al ghanim.

REm, Madbullram, thanks for the gyaan.
Its just that I have got this thing for floorstanders and I still have a slight craving for bass. I am leaning towards the q acoustics at 27k. As you said, a set of bookshelf speakers with a sub would do the trick.
So, instead of a mission m34i, tannoy f1 custom/ wharfedale 9.1 + subwoofer would perform better? Can you suggest something in this budget?
Here the m33i costs 18.5k at hi fi links, while it retails for 12.5k at vijay sales, mumbai acc. to some of our members. Why is there such a difference in pricing? Even the mission pricelist posted by Murali pegs it at 17.5k rs.
At the end of the day, I know that I have to audition these to get the real picture and I am planning to hit chennai/bangalore for the same, when I get some time. I am just trying to make a list now, and what to look for.

Last edited:
It was a pretty good deal. I got it for approx equivalent of Rs 13.5k,iirc, with extended 3 year warranty from X cite- Al ghanim.

REm, Madbullram, thanks for the gyaan.
Its just that I have got this thing for floorstanders and I still have a slight craving for bass. I am leaning towards the q acoustics at 27k. As you said, a set of bookshelf speakers with a sub would do the trick.
So, instead of a mission m34i, tannoy f1 custom/ wharfedale 9.1 + subwoofer would perform better? Can you suggest something in this budget?
Here the m33i costs 18.5k at hi fi links, while it retails for 12.5k at vijay sales, mumbai acc. to some of our members. Why is there such a difference in pricing? Even the mission pricelist posted by Murali pegs it at 17.5k rs.
At the end of the day, I know that I have to audition these to get the real picture and I am planning to hit chennai/bangalore for the same, when I get some time. I am just trying to make a list now, and what to look for.

well what kinda bass do u like if u like a boomy kind a bass check out the jamo s606,and if u like tight bass but will be above ur budget the jamo c405.
since u have a av reciever i guess u will eventualy get 5.1 speakers, so check out the cambridge audio s70 flrs,s30 bookshelfs,s50 centre,s90 sub all for MRP of 45k,u can get it cheaper.

Iauo,

If you like me really crave for FS then wait for a while and increase your budget to around 40 to 50 k and go for a really good FS rather than go for a budget FS.

And if you are planning to hit chennai or Blr do get in touch with the specific dealers fix an appointment before you go there.

And yes the many forum members here would only be happy to help you out when you are there for audition so do let them know that you are coming down if you need help.

bookshelves in that range are (m goin upto 30k)

Monitor Audio BR2
Tannoy F1 custom
Wharfedale 9.2
PSB Image (do not remember the model number)
Mordaunt Short Avant series
Mordaunt Short Mezzo 2( My favourite :D)
Dali Ikon2

FS in this budget are

Mordaunt SHort Avant series FS
Tannoy F4 custom
Mission M33i
Wharfedale 9.6

and

cant think about more options guys help me out here if you can think of any more list it out.

Btw thats a really gud deal for your 506 I think its around 25k here in India.
And I dint know kw was good for hifi shopping :D. When I went to Al-Ghanim few yrs back they had mostly sony and Wansa :D

well what kinda bass do u like if u like a boomy kind a bass check out the jamo s606,and if u like tight bass but will be above ur budget the jamo c405.
since u have a av reciever i guess u will eventualy get 5.1 speakers, so check out the cambridge audio s70 flrs,s30 bookshelfs,s50 centre,s90 sub all for MRP of 45k,u can get it cheaper.
I like tight, fast bass. I am tired of boomy bass, bass which drags its feet blocking the way of the rest of the notes that closely follow it!:p
I have been hearing good things about the jamo c405 on this forum, but those cost around 40k, dont they?
Getting a 5.1 isnt really on my priority list right now, that can wait!

Oh I had another question,the onkyo 506 has 160w per channel and afaik, continuous 80w o/p. In the stereo mode, how many watts does the avr supply to each channel? Is it the same or is it greater?

REM, it was only on my visit to Kuwait this Feb that I found the prices to be so reasonable(the 606 was selling for around 20k inr)! However it is very difficult to find a knowledgable sales person!!!
I dont know what people see in Wansa!

I got a coupla offers on used speakers, jbl xl 1000, wharfedale crystal 10 etc. Any idea about these speakers?

Last edited:
Awesome deal iauo.

Anyway all the best on your speaker purchase. Btw it seems very few ppl in this forum have listened to the Qacoustics I hardly hear anybody talkin about it around here.

I like tight, fast bass. I am tired of boomy bass, bass which drags its feet blocking the way of the rest of the notes that closely follow it!:p
I have been hearing good things about the jamo c405 on this forum, but those cost around 40k, dont they?
Getting a 5.1 isnt really on my priority list right now, that can wait!

Oh I had another question,the onkyo 506 has 160w per channel and afaik, continuous 80w o/p. In the stereo mode, how many watts does the avr supply to each channel? Is it the same or is it greater?

REM, it was only on my visit to Kuwait this Feb that I found the prices to be so reasonable(the 606 was selling for around 20k inr)! However it is very difficult to find a knowledgable sales person!!!
I dont know what people see in Wansa!

I got a coupla offers on used speakers, jbl xl 1000, wharfedale crystal 10 etc. Any idea about these speakers?

well the c405 costs MRP36000 no dealer can quote a price higher then that u checkout ebay.in tooeBay India: Jamo C405 Tower speaker Pair from AVO (item 140293387183 end time 07-Apr-2009 13:39:17 IST) i have gotten the price from 36000 to 32500 just by speaking in phone,and dealer said he cant go below that in phone,he said come over and we can talk,besides some here are able to get at 29k without even bargaining there are many dealers outhere who are willing to ship it too.
and the cambridge audio S70 flrs sounds like the ms906i flrs according to manyi know in UK forums but currently fxentertainment.in the distributors of MS and CA arent selling the s70 speakers seperately,they may sell if huge intrests are shown,and for some reason people dont audition the CA speakers in india they are realy good and are cheaper then MS speakers.

well avr supply more power in stereo then in 7.1 ch mode,the onkyo605/6 for example gives 90watts at 20-20khz in 2ch driven,at 1ch driven it gives 144watts at 1khz at clipping,where as in 7ch it gives 80watts at 1khz at clipping.

Last edited:
well the c405 costs MRP36000 no dealer can quote a price higher then that u checkout ebay.in tooeBay India: Jamo C405 Tower speaker Pair from AVO (item 140293387183 end time 07-Apr-2009 13:39:17 IST) i have gotten the price from 36000 to 32500 just by speaking in phone,and dealer said he cant go below that in phone,he said come over and we can talk,besides some here are able to get at 29k without even bargaining there are many dealers outhere who are willing to ship it too.
and the cambridge audio S70 flrs sounds like the ms906i flrs according to manyi know in UK forums but currently fxentertainment.in the distributors of MS and CA arent selling the s70 speakers seperately,they may sell if huge intrests are shown,and for some reason people dont audition the CA speakers in india they are realy good and are cheaper then MS speakers.

well avr supply more power in stereo then in 7.1 ch mode,the onkyo605/6 for example gives 90watts at 20-20khz in 2ch driven,at 1ch driven it gives 144watts at 1khz at clipping,where as in 7ch it gives 80watts at 1khz at clipping.

thanks a whole lot for that gyaan, adder bhai!
Where did your friend get the quote for 29k for c405?
I will try to find out about the ca s70s flr.

Any idea about the jbl xl 1000 or wharfedale crystal 10?

thanks a whole lot for that gyaan, adder bhai!
Where did your friend get the quote for 29k for c405?
I will try to find out about the ca s70s flr.

Any idea about the jbl xl 1000 or wharfedale crystal 10?

well contact member magma,he got a quote of 29k and also if u look at the Ads in av max magazine in the rear pages, u will see dealers who deal with jamo and they are also willing to ship,they also gave a quote of 29k+shipping.

I have a pair of book shelves: Polk Audio RTi A3 @ 20k. Sounds great with my Onkyo Sub. I basically have 5105 HTiB. Changed the Front speakers with these.

I have a pair of book shelves: Polk Audio RTi A3 @ 20k. Sounds great with my Onkyo Sub. I basically have 5105 HTiB. Changed the Front speakers with these.

I dont have a subwoofer as of now and I am not sure I will be getting one soon!@:sad:
the Onkyo sub is the one that came with the htib, i presume?
I have a coupla bookshelf sspkrs on my list which I want to check out like,
Tannoy f1
wharfedale 9.1
usher se520( if i can make it to arn, bangalore)
ma br2

iaudio - your tastes point to your liking for warmth in music. I would suggest the PSB Alpha T1 (closer to your price point) and the Acoustic Energy Neo 3. The latter I regard very highly as far as budget floorstanders are concerned.

iaudio - your tastes point to your liking for warmth in music. I would suggest the PSB Alpha T1 (closer to your price point) and the Acoustic Energy Neo 3. The latter I regard very highly as far as budget floorstanders are concerned.
Thank you, thevortex and you are spot on! :)
I think Decibel was quoting 27k for psb alpha T1, what about the acoustic energy neo 3?
I ll be auditioning the Wharfedale 9.1s(12.5k, yes it is a bookshelf spkr, but i hear lots of good stuff about it) and Q acoustics 1030( :)i really liked it with the ca azur amp and cdp, lets see how it plays with my onkyo), or any others in my budget with my own amp. Unfortunately, they dont have the m33i s in stock! And m33 price is high here 18k:mad:, compared to 15k quoted in chennai and 12.5k in mumbai. Rest of the speakers are priced at par.
And, main question does the the onkyo sr506 actually have the power to drive big floorstanders?:sad:

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back