need for A/C stablilizer?

gobble

Hi folks
I was looking at some A/C models and they come with built-in stablizers already. Yet the A/C vendo is insisting on an extra external stablizer to protect the PCBs . Is that really needed? Is the built-in stabilizer only good for the compressor?

Thanks

You get inverter models but most would still recommend an external Stab.
That is exctly my question - what is the problem with internal stabilizer only setup? Or is it just an opportunity to make more sales?

G

That is exctly my question - what is the problem with internal stabilizer only setup? Or is it just an opportunity to make more sales?

G
I too thought the same when I bought the inverter model a/c and did not install any external stablizer. The problem surfaced when there is a voltage fluctuation and the a/c automatically switched off as it was not able to boost the voltage or regulate it. The same happened when there was high voltage also. I had to install a premier 4KV voltage stablizer which costs around Rs.1200. The problem was solved after installing this stablizer. I think the inbuilt stablizer in the inverter a/c is good enough as long as there is no voltage fluctuation.

G
Most of the inbuilt motors operate between 190 - 260. Any variation beyond this cannot is not safe for the motors as they do not trip.you need to provide an external device to handle the variations.

Ok but the stablizer the a/c shop is recommending is outside the upper range of the inbuilt stab. The a/c has 160-260V range while the 3rd party stab is 140-270V. So the device will not protect in case of over-voltage is that correct?

G

the supply to the ac unit would be through the stabilizer, so any overload on the unit the stabilizer would trip.

I have checked Panasonic Interter models during the weekend. It is mentioned on the A/C and brochure that no external stabilizer is needed and it can take the voltage fluctuation ( 145v - 285v range )

Right so to conclude - one should go for a stab if the operating range of the inbuilt stab is limited - like 150-265V, then go for a stab covering a wider range. I saw one Voltas a/c that has a built-in stab covering 100-290 which is great, all others are in the range 140-265 typically.

~1.4k is piddle compared to the cost of an a/c better peace of mind.

Cheers
G

Is that really needed? Is the built-in stabilizer only good for the compressor?
Using multiple branded AC (2 Whirlpool, voltas, toshiba) in different cities (Kolkata and Bangalore) without stabilizer for past 7~8 years, no issues so far on any of the ACs. For us also salesman insisted on voltage stabilizer, but never went for them.

Based on our Indian power conditions, I would recommend using an external stabilizer for your ACs.
I used V Guard stabilizers when I got my household appliances about 10 years ago.

You normally don't see voltage fluctuations but on the occasion that it happens you will be grateful that you have one.
In my place we can get fluctuations from the supply transformer when the transformer goes low on oil for example.
When that happens you would rather see the voltage stabilizer getting hammered than your AC units.

At about Rs 1,000 -1,200 per unit you really shouldn't even bother about it.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back