Need help for htpc hd video & audio

I have some doubt about setting couse even my desktop is not clear with hdmi but with vga it is good,
REGARDS

I have seen this issue as well. The desktop looks really bad with HDMI. I can't say it's the cable, but both times I was using a cheap HDMI cable. But movies etc look better in HDMI than VGA. Do set the display settings for HDMI from the web (search for best settings for your lcd/plasma). I do have a second LCD with DVI input and I use an expensive DVI cable to connect it, and the picture is very very crisp through DVI.

I have seen this issue as well. The desktop looks really bad with HDMI. I can't say it's the cable, but both times I was using a cheap HDMI cable. But movies etc look better in HDMI than VGA. Do set the display settings for HDMI from the web (search for best settings for your lcd/plasma). I do have a second LCD with DVI input and I use an expensive DVI cable to connect it, and the picture is very very crisp through DVI.

My lcd dont have DVI input but if i connect lcd with dvi to vga is there chance improve video quality.
thevortex,thanx now my aptical cable connection is working fine.
REGARDS

My lcd dont have DVI input but if i connect lcd with dvi to vga is there chance improve video quality.
thevortex,thanx now my aptical cable connection is working fine.
REGARDS

nope, dvi to vga won't do any good. since you are converting the signal in the process. You are better off using VGA instead of that.
Either you borrow a good HDMI cable (you said you had one connecting the AVR and LCD) and use that to connect the PC's HDMI out directly to the LCD and check. Also play with the "catalyst control center" (you will see the digital

What I am going to do is get a DVI to HDMI adapter and use my $50 DVI cable to connect the motherboard's HDMI to the LCD's HDMI (I dont need the AVR in between). I don't have the adapter yet so I will update you once I get it!

Thanx bhaskie, now i have connected my lcd direct with hdmi but steel some not looks like high defination, i dont understand what i m doing wrong,and power dvd not supporting MKV format .
REGARDS

Last edited:
Thanx bhaskie, now i have connected my lcd direct with hdmi but steel some not looks like high defination, i dont understand what i m doing wrong,and power dvd not supporting MKV format .
REGARDS

I use HDMI (same motherboard) to watch DVDs and though the text looks messed up, movies look very nice!

Use mplayer (you get smplayer package with mplayer in it) or VLC to play matroska files. YOu can set the gui in both players to use s/pdif for digital passthrough (if you are using the optical out to connect to AVR). Do remember that the ALC889A chipset resamples everything to 48KHz in this mobo.

REGARDS

I use TheKMPlayer for all my video needs and I believe it is probably the best player out there right now.

Is there any motherboard which can output video simultaneously to composite video and HDMI? This is for my build and I am basically looking to output to a normal TV and LCD. Maybe not simultaneouly but easily switchable.

@cranky, thanks for the info. Do you also have this connected via HDMI/DVI? If yes how easy is it to swicth between two or you can send output to both of them simultaneously?
Also have you tried toggling between spdif and analog audio (I remember reading in the forum there are configs and players which allow you to output audio simultaneoulsy? have you tried this for audio as well?
-Manish

In my Giga 780G MB, two digital o/ps will not work. either HDMI and VGA or DVI and VGA, ie., not two digital o/p s at a time will work. I think this will be common across all boards. Since composite is analogue, it may work along with HDMI / DVI. But switching b/n them may be an issue with some boards. There is some handshaking problem with HDMI if nothing is happening through that port, the display will become blank. Some forums suggest to run some low resource application at the back ground to refresh at particular intervals.

after long time i m back with my old issue ,i have tested my hdmi cables with samsung HD player (demo player from my friends samsung plaza) and this cable r working fine so i thing i need one good video card ,can any one suggest me a v. card for my Giga 780G motherboard some thing like this.
Three HDMI Graphics Cards Tested on LCD TV Sapphire X1600 PRO HDMI :: TweakTown
REGARDS
(ASK ME ANY THING ABOUT U R MOBILE PHONES 99% I CAN HELP YOU)

after long time i m back with my old issue ,i have tested my hdmi cables with samsung HD player (demo player from my friends samsung plaza) and this cable r working fine so i thing i need one good video card ,can any one suggest me a v. card for my Giga 780G motherboard some thing like this.
Three HDMI Graphics Cards Tested on LCD TV Sapphire X1600 PRO HDMI :: TweakTown
REGARDS
(ASK ME ANY THING ABOUT U R MOBILE PHONES 99% I CAN HELP YOU)

hello there,

I currently have HTPC with full HD video and audio. I have used ATi card before but switched to N-Vidia recenlty and the card is 9500 GT which has HDMi out and Dvi out. I have used my Hdmi out to my sound card (HDAV 1.3 deluxe) and then another HDMi going out from there to my Receiver and then from receiver to TV. I watch several downloaded as well as blueray disc with HD sound and 1080p picture on my plasma.
I hope it helps.

kind regards,

swat

i have a query regarding the sound going to A/V receiver. Which would give the best performance from speakers?
The PC decoding the sound or the A/V receiver. My guess would be to send sound unprocessed to the receiver to achieve maximum performance, which has benefit in terms of saving extra bucks in purchasing good quality cards like XONAR.
Am I correct?

Also please advice how to pass unprocessed sound over HDMI. I am not sure whether my mobo(GA73PVMS2H) has SPDIF header or SPDIF out.
There is something like nVidia HDMI pure wave in my mobo(which has the capability to pass sound over HDMI), but I am unsure how to pass unprocessed sound..

I have a receiver which can process audio over HDMI...

Last edited:
i have a query regarding the sound going to A/V receiver. Which would give the best performance from speakers?
The PC decoding the sound or the A/V receiver. My guess would be to send sound unprocessed to the receiver to achieve maximum performance, which has benefit in terms of saving extra bucks in purchasing good quality cards like XONAR.
Am I correct?

Also please advice how to pass unprocessed sound over HDMI. I am not sure whether my mobo(GA73PVMS2H) has SPDIF header or SPDIF out.
There is something like nVidia HDMI pure wave in my mobo(which has the capability to pass sound over HDMI), but I am unsure how to pass unprocessed sound..

I have a receiver which can process audio over HDMI...

In that case, just connect using the HDMI cable and you can configure the sound input as digital using your AV Receiver's settings interface.

wow didn't think it was that simple..
just to confirm.. i use zoom player, which allows to configure various filters to be configured for decoding sound, should i remove these..
also please provide an answer for..

Which would give the best performance from speakers..
The PC decoding the sound or the A/V receiver?

wow didn't think it was that simple..
just to confirm.. i use zoom player, which allows to configure various filters to be configured for decoding sound, should i remove these..
also please provide an answer for..

Which would give the best performance from speakers..
The PC decoding the sound or the A/V receiver?

If you are talking about an onboard sound solution, then I am pretty sure that it would not eclipse the DACs on your receiver (what is your receiver by the way?). The best way would be to connect using either SPDIF or Optical or HDMI.

Software player wise you have TheKMPlayer and Videolan. Not sure you need anything else at all. If you need another recommendation, do look at SMPlayer - an excellent front end for the inimitable and versatile MPlayer.

i would be using yamaha 863, mainly thru HDMI, as 863 would pick the sound over HDMI. Now I do not understand the terminology such as LPCM/audio as bitstream going to the receiver.Is it the raw audio stream or the processed audio.
Here is a explanation of my problem
What I see with any of the good players such as VLC/smplayer/kmplayer/zoom player/theatertek is that video/audio processing is series of steps:
1) Breaking the audio/video into seperate parts
(Video) video frame extract, send to decoder,post processing(adding subtitles/refining image),send to renderer.
(Audio) audio stream extract,send to decoder,post processing(volume boost,equalizer),send to output

Only in the case where audio over SPDIF is selected, I feel the decoding can be by passed, and the audio would be passed unprocessed to optical out. But in case I select the audio over HDMI/or the Realtek Digital Output I feel that the audio decoder in the players software would actually decode the audio and change the stream ( from raw bitstream to I dont know what :) )

So I am still on the lookout for the answer to the question..
"How to pass unprocessed sound to the A/V receiver over HDMI, which in my case is Yam 863"
PS: My mobo is Gigabyte GA73PVM-S2H which can pass audio over HDMI

Back