Need help for htpc hd video & audio

The 863 has excellent sound processing capabilities. It I remember right it also has top of the line Burr Brown DACs.

So it would make sense to send it digital multichannel data in RAW or Bitstream format and let the AVR do the decoding.

Cheers

Well I am unable to send audio as Raw from vlc to Xonar.
I set vlc aud setting as spdf, on Xonar D2X I select as 5.1.According to me Raw output from vlc should have been decoded by D2X,but it cant.I get shakky or missing sound from D2X ana out.

So how to use onbrd/SC codecs?

Well I am unable to send audio as Raw from vlc to Xonar.
I set vlc aud setting as spdf, on Xonar D2X I select as 5.1.According to me Raw output from vlc should have been decoded by D2X,but it cant.I get shakky or missing sound from D2X ana out.

So how to use onbrd/SC codecs?

Spirovious - you have to remove the spdif setting on VLC. If you are using analog outs, that setting does not make sense. Also if you are using VLC and using analog outs, check if you are using all 6 (5 + 1) analog connections from the sound card. If you are not, and you are playing a 5.1 channel encoded file, then you are going to miss sound. Unless you have a 5.1 channel system, that is.

i would be using yamaha 863, mainly thru HDMI, as 863 would pick the sound over HDMI. Now I do not understand the terminology such as LPCM/audio as bitstream going to the receiver.Is it the raw audio stream or the processed audio.
Here is a explanation of my problem
What I see with any of the good players such as VLC/smplayer/kmplayer/zoom player/theatertek is that video/audio processing is series of steps:
1) Breaking the audio/video into seperate parts
(Video) video frame extract, send to decoder,post processing(adding subtitles/refining image),send to renderer.
(Audio) audio stream extract,send to decoder,post processing(volume boost,equalizer),send to output

Only in the case where audio over SPDIF is selected, I feel the decoding can be by passed, and the audio would be passed unprocessed to optical out. But in case I select the audio over HDMI/or the Realtek Digital Output I feel that the audio decoder in the players software would actually decode the audio and change the stream ( from raw bitstream to I dont know what :) )

So I am still on the lookout for the answer to the question..
"How to pass unprocessed sound to the A/V receiver over HDMI, which in my case is Yam 863"
PS: My mobo is Gigabyte GA73PVM-S2H which can pass audio over HDMI

Jayad08 - LPCM audio via bitstream means unprocessed audio. If you connect via HDMI, then your receiver will b doing all the work.

The players are not processing unless you set them up to do some additional image/sound processing. Normally you can turn all this off in players such as TheKMPlayer and Videolan.

Hi Friends,

I've a small query, It's regarding DD-TrueHD and DTS-HD-MA O/P to my TV, which is already been putforth in various threads, but i was just reasoning.....

..... If I get my self a Nvidia Graphics Card which has an HDMI out and connect my PC to my Denon2310 via a HDMI cable and in turn connect the AVR to my HDTV through HDMI, can I get DD-True HD and DTS-HD-MA O/P on my TV????

I'm using ArcSoft's TotalMedia Theater 3 Player to play my contents, and I've and onboard Intel High Definition Audio, Realtek soundcard (Intex C2Q processor, 975XBX2 motherboard)

thanks.

Spirovious - you have to remove the spdif setting on VLC. If you are using analog outs, that setting does not make sense. Also if you are using VLC and using analog outs, check if you are using all 6 (5 + 1) analog connections from the sound card. If you are not, and you are playing a 5.1 channel encoded file, then you are going to miss sound. Unless you have a 5.1 channel system, that is.

Thanks thevortex,
see I have used vlc with old onbrd realtek chip which didnt support Dts.
I played Dts vid in vlc.& got 5.1 surr out from Realtek 5.1 out.
In this method,vlc was decoding DTS >sending as 5.1PCM to realtek> 5.1 ana out.
Now D2X supports DD/Dts too.I want to check just like what we do with DVDp + AVR combo-

DVDp> Raw out (Dts/DD)> AVR spdf in> decoding> DAC> 5.1surr ana out

In same way can

VLC spdf out(? raw)> D2X in(digitally/ internally in)> decoding by D2X as 5.1PCM> D2X DAC >5.1 ana surr out.

I tried ,but only get missing overall sound(not single track)or skipping/pause.
D2X has both DD/Dts codecs.

Hi Friends,

I've a small query, It's regarding DD-TrueHD and DTS-HD-MA O/P to my TV, which is already been putforth in various threads, but i was just reasoning.....

..... If I get my self a Nvidia Graphics Card which has an HDMI out and connect my PC to my Denon2310 via a HDMI cable and in turn connect the AVR to my HDTV through HDMI, can I get DD-True HD and DTS-HD-MA O/P on my TV????

I'm using ArcSoft's TotalMedia Theater 3 Player to play my contents, and I've and onboard Intel High Definition Audio, Realtek soundcard (Intex C2Q processor, 975XBX2 motherboard)

thanks.

A graphics card contributes only to the picture. It can do nothing about proprietary sound technology like Dolby Digital or DTS.

Please look up Xonar HDAV. It is a combination of a sound and a video card and it will give you what you need.

Spiro,

What you are aiming for is well within the D2X's capabilities. I am not sure why this is not working for you. Is that a 5.1 encoded movie file you are trying to play? Also are you connected to a receiver which supports Dolby/DTS etc which is in turn connected to 5 speakers and 1 subwoofer?

If all of the above is true, then do one thing. Reinstall VLC, or if you wish to try another player, give TheKMPlayer a whirl. Sometimes with these players, we can end up changing critical settings. A simple reinstall will get you back to default settings and you can try things out.

Last edited:
If you have a Denon 2310 which can decode HD audio, why would you want your TV speakers to play it back? I don't understand why you would want to do this, even if your TV was capable (which I'm not sure it is).

Even to get HD audio into the AVR from a PC, you will have to work this out depending on the specific video card you have. Older cards required a connection to an SPDIF output on a motherboard. Most motherboards have a header to enable this specific connection. Newer cards don't require the connection, they just need a driver to be installed.

Older cards performed passthrough only for 2 channels, some newer ones can perform passthrough in 8 channels and could theoretically work with HD audio source material. Assuming you have such material. Nobody has yet managed to separate HDA soundtracks from the source disks, so you have to have a BD player on the PC and software capable of recognising and handling the stream.

If it's a theoretical question, it's a pretty useless one, as there's no one rule in PC hardware or software.

Hi,

I've downloaded some movies/demos which are BD copies and not rips which has DD-TrueHD/DTS-MA audio in them........ and i've these data's on an external HDD connected to WDTV through USB, and my WD TV to my AVR through HDMI and my AVR to my HT (sorry, previously i mentioned TV)through HDMI. And as a fellow member suggested WD does not O/P HD audio, so ultimately no sound. So playing it through my PC was just a second thaught........but now I plan to upgrade to an Xtremer or WD TV 2.

thanks,
cheers.

Spiro,

Is that a 5.1 encoded movie file you are trying to play? Also are you connected to a receiver which supports Dolby/DTS etc which is in turn connected to 5 speakers and 1 subwoofer?

As I know ,D2X can do like encoding of DD/Dts & send over SPDF out.

My setup- Onk AVR 330 + Tany F1 pack.

When I play 5.1 DVD(confirmed in VLC) mov & select 5.1opt in vlc,then select spdfout opt either DD or Dts in D2X contol panal, then I m sure D2X reencodes 5.1 decoded(PCM) sound to DD or Dts again(as selected opt in spdf) then pass over to AVR via SPDF,then AVR recognises it as DTS or DD and again decodes it & outputs 5.1 surr.
ie- vlc 5.1out> D2X encodes it in DD or Dts> spdf out to AVR> AVR decodes> 5.1out.

Here you can see there is decoding(vlc)> encoding(D2X)> decoding (avr)
In this way I can get 5.1 true surround .I can get as DTS on AVR evenif original file is DD when select DTS opt in D2X spdfout(control panal).If I select PCM in D2X spdf out options,I get only stereo out via SPDF of actual 5.1track.

I really dont want this.I have newer vlc installed.If I select spdf out in vlc ,then vlc shld send aud as Raw,then D2X shld decode & convert into 5.1ana out. But this is not happening as I said I get interrupted sound.

any other setting?

As I know ,D2X can do like encoding of DD/Dts & send over SPDF out.

My setup- Onk AVR 330 + Tany F1 pack.

When I play 5.1 DVD(confirmed in VLC) mov & select 5.1opt in vlc,then select spdfout opt either DD or Dts in D2X contol panal, then I m sure D2X reencodes 5.1 decoded(PCM) sound to DD or Dts again(as selected opt in spdf) then pass over to AVR via SPDF,then AVR recognises it as DTS or DD and again decodes it & outputs 5.1 surr.
ie- vlc 5.1out> D2X encodes it in DD or Dts> spdf out to AVR> AVR decodes> 5.1out.

Here you can see there is decoding(vlc)> encoding(D2X)> decoding (avr)
In this way I can get 5.1 true surround .I can get as DTS on AVR evenif original file is DD when select DTS opt in D2X spdfout(control panal).If I select PCM in D2X spdf out options,I get only stereo out via SPDF of actual 5.1track.

I really dont want this.I have newer vlc installed.If I select spdf out in vlc ,then vlc shld send aud as Raw,then D2X shld decode & convert into 5.1ana out. But this is not happening as I said I get interrupted sound.

any other setting?

Actually you should not have to select Dolby or DTS in the Xonar Control Panel. That is the only thing I would mention. There it is enough if you simply set it to digital coaxial instead of analog. From thereon, it will only be your receiver which would be doing your grunt work.

Also, try TheKMPlayer. You really should not be having such a problem.

Actually you should not have to select Dolby or DTS in the Xonar Control Panel. That is the only thing I would mention. There it is enough if you simply set it to digital coaxial instead of analog. From thereon, it will only be your receiver which would be doing your grunt work.

Also, try TheKMPlayer. You really should not be having such a problem.

Thanks,will try KM,but in D2X CP when I select(tick) SPDF out ,in sub window there r 4 opt out of 1 has to be selected.PCM,DD ,Dts & loopback.
I 1st thought PCM is the opt,but it sends Data in stereo to AVR(vid with 5.1 too)Which is the the setting you r suggesting(digital coaxial)?

Thanks,will try KM,but in D2X CP when I select(tick) SPDF out ,in sub window there r 4 opt out of 1 has to be selected.PCM,DD ,Dts & loopback.
I 1st thought PCM is the opt,but it sends Data in stereo to AVR(vid with 5.1 too)Which is the the setting you r suggesting(digital coaxial)?

If you select SPDIF out, that other drop down box should actually get disabled. I wonder whether this problem is due to the new driver you downloaded.

Try the SPDIF out and leave the drop down box untouched.

If you select SPDIF out, that other drop down box should actually get disabled. I wonder whether this problem is due to the new driver you downloaded.

Try the SPDIF out and leave the drop down box untouched.

Well evenif I kept untouch,drop window shows PCM.Then I get only stereo with via SPDF to AVR.

D2X crop.jpg

Well evenif I kept untouch,drop window shows PCM.Then I get only stereo with via SPDF to AVR.

View attachment 1289

I am not at home now. I will get back and write about this in greater detail. But to me there seems nothing wrong with your settings.

Your setting as PCM should not matter in the drop down box. The Dolby and DTS options in that drop down box are to encode non-Dolby/DTS content into Dolby and DTS respectively. You need not use that if your content is already encoded.

If you have tried another player and still are losing sound, then I would suggest reinstalling the driver.

If you have tried another player and still are losing sound, then I would suggest reinstalling the driver.

Thanks,

I have total 2 prob-

1.As discussed earlier-SPDF out is not raw or sound get distorted.
2.Another- I tried decoding DD/Dts at Xonar level,which is not happening.

ie. VLC spdf> D2X in> DD/Dts decoding done by D2X> DAC D2X> 5.1surr ana out

If I select VLC 5.1 opt,then everything works with decoding @ VLC.

I just want to use hardware totally than vlc.
I will check with KM & reinstalling driver.

Thanks,

I have total 2 prob-

1.As discussed earlier-SPDF out is not raw or sound get distorted.
2.Another- I tried decoding DD/Dts at Xonar level,which is not happening.

ie. VLC spdf> D2X in> DD/Dts decoding done by D2X> DAC D2X> 5.1surr ana out

If I select VLC 5.1 opt,then everything works with decoding @ VLC.

I just want to use hardware totally than vlc.
I will check with KM & reinstalling driver.

Simply speaking it cannot be that the VLC player or any other player has the last say. The sound card is the component which has the last say on your sound output.

Nevertheless what you have described is pretty weird. I have noticed a bug whereby if you switch from Analog to SPDIF in the control panel, there are weird changes to the sound in the Xonar. Do try checking that SPDIF checkbox on and off multiple times? I know - sounds desperate. But I have experienced this. :)

If you switch from Analog to SPDIF in the control panel, there are weird changes to the sound in the Xonar. Do try checking that SPDIF checkbox on and off multiple times? I know - sounds desperate. But I have experienced this. :)

Correctly said,the same I wanted to point out.I think drivers need to be changed.My observations-

1.vlc 5.1opt > D2X DAC > 5.1(7.1) ana surr out = Yes(works correctly)
2.vlc 5.1 > D2X spdf(pcm) > AVR Dig in > only stereo output (of 5.1)
3.vlc 5.1 > D2X spdf (DD/Dts) AVR dig in > 5.1effect
(DD/Dts due to live encoding)
4.vlc spdf > D2X > no sound from D2X 5.1 surrout
5.vlc spdf> D2X spdf out > unnatural/distorted sound.

I read in chip mag once,to get true 5.1 surr you need SW (vlc) OR HW (soundcard) to decode DD/Dts.So same I am trying to get from D2X.

Just going thru the thread since I am also setting up an htpc.
Found some information on the Realtek ALC 889 sound chip on the Gigabyte motherboards (MA-785GMT mother board)

Realtek

Seems that you really donot need a seperate sound car if you utilise the output from the motherboard properly. The ALC889 seems to be a high-performance multi-channel High Definition sound source.
The only problem could be that it has proprietary loss-less content protection technology that protects pre-recorded content. This could be an issue thru the HDMI output ports???:indifferent14:

It also support for 24-bit SPDIF input and output and you could connect to consumer electronic products such as digital decoders or Receivers to convert the signal. I am not sure whether it would compress the signal.....;)

I am now really wondering whether one really requires a sound card if one can send the sound signal thru the on-board SPDIF out to a good AVR.(which can do the decoding and processing).. Comment please ??:eek:

Well for HTPC realtek 889 is OK as I have read its speci in G45 chipset.
For mov its good,for serious music may SC better.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back