Need help for htpc hd video & audio

Have you experienced it? How is it for others audio sources and one think I 've always wanted to know that does it pass thru the DTS and DD ? Since I am looking to buy the same..
:eek:

I am using GigaByte MB (rev2) with 780G chipset at NorthBridge and SB700 w/ Realtek 889A at SouthBridge. The analog outs are ok kind of sound. Currently I am using the optical out to my AVR (DTS\DD), for movies its good. For music, i am planning for a DAC/good SC.

Last edited:
i have the same problem with my mobo gigabyte GA73PVM-S2H. It has a HDMI audio out capability, but what I am able to get is only PCM out from it, which means that all the decoding is being done by the PC, which I dont want as I have a yam863 which should have a better DAC.
I tried to find a way to pass bitstream through HDMI, found some posts pointing to getting the latest HDMI audio drivers from the gigabyte site, but still didnt do the job.
While browsing I came across a cheap GPU which can bitstream almost all formats
ATI Radeon HD 5750 brings HDMI bliss to HTPCs for $110

I am still searching for a solution without the GPU, would update if i find one..

Any other options guys?

one more question: has anyone tried to bitstream MPEG1/mp3 so that receiver decodes it?

Last edited:
Thanx for replay,I tryed to connect my pc to lcd with HDMI but there is very poor quality but with vga its better then HDMI, and i dont have graphic card i thought onboard graphic card is ok for audio & video,
GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Overview - GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev.1.0)
REGARDS[/QUOTE

I do have the same setup, VGA quality will be better than HDMI. This is because since the TV is HD ready, its resolution is around 1366 x 768, but the computer resolution is different. So, try setting the resolution at 1372 x 720 (not sure exactly numbers), you will be some noticeable difference.

I am using a 7600 series graphics card, which takes care of this problem.

i have the same problem with my mobo gigabyte GA73PVM-S2H. It has a HDMI audio out capability, but what I am able to get is only PCM out from it, which means that all the decoding is being done by the PC, which I dont want as I have a yam863 which should have a better DAC.
I tried to find a way to pass bitstream through HDMI, found some posts pointing to getting the latest HDMI audio drivers from the gigabyte site, but still didnt do the job.
While browsing I came across a cheap GPU which can bitstream almost all formats
ATI Radeon HD 5750 brings HDMI bliss to HTPCs for $110

I am still searching for a solution without the GPU, would update if i find one..

Any other options guys?

one more question: has anyone tried to bitstream MPEG1/mp3 so that receiver decodes it?

Why dont you set your AV Receiver such that only the video comes through the HDMI out and the audio is coming out from your SPDIF connection. You can make such parallel connections, I believe.

thanks..
that is just what i had in mind.. its a really cheap alternative for spending 7-9k on GPUs. 500/900 for a good quality optical cable(DAC). It also has another very good advantage over passing audio over HDMI - Using AC3Filter you can select any type of bitstream to pass through SPDIF, which means I might be able to test if my yam863 is capable of decoding mp3s or not..
One really bad thing that I just discovered about yam863 - the blacks problem is indeed true..tested a plain black screen, comparing with/without A/V receiver,there is a huge loss.. seems the 0-15 factor makes a lot of difference, though I am yet to test with upscaling off(I have tested with HDMI passthru/HDMI upscaling to 1080p)

thanks..
that is just what i had in mind.. its a really cheap alternative for spending 7-9k on GPUs. 500/900 for a good quality optical cable(DAC). It also has another very good advantage over passing audio over HDMI - Using AC3Filter you can select any type of bitstream to pass through SPDIF, which means I might be able to test if my yam863 is capable of decoding mp3s or not..
One really bad thing that I just discovered about yam863 - the blacks problem is indeed true..tested a plain black screen, comparing with/without A/V receiver,there is a huge loss.. seems the 0-15 factor makes a lot of difference, though I am yet to test with upscaling off(I have tested with HDMI passthru/HDMI upscaling to 1080p)

This will be fine if you are looking for DD/DTS, I have the same connection. People are looking for bitstreaming through HDMI is for Bluray audio (TrueHD\DTD-MA).

thanks..
now after running mp3s from the HTPC, i hv seen upconverting them to DD only makes it slightly better..
Now I am looking to convert audio CDs to DTS..
Any ideas..

thanks..
now after running mp3s from the HTPC, i hv seen upconverting them to DD only makes it slightly better..
Now I am looking to convert audio CDs to DTS..
Any ideas..

Music is to be listened in stereo. I dont think there is any benefit in converting them to DTS or Dolby or anything else.

If the music comes encoded in 5.1 or 7.1 its a different thing. But pure stereo is most satisfying when it comes to music.

I have connected my pc (gigabyte GA-MA78GM ,AMD 56+) to DENON 1908 with HDMI but i have problem with both audio & video,in audio there is no DOLBY & DTS out from pc to receiver & in video there is no HD quality video from denon to my PANASONIC 32" LX80 LCD tv (lcd connected to DENON HDMA monitor out) ,so is this onbord graphic card is enuf or i need some good graphic card ?
REGARDS

Hi
I have got a soln to the problem ,Buy a media box play it through LAN & u get 5.1 digital output from media box.
I reccently bought it from PROFX store Hyderabad.They Have the Chepest ones in India as per my knowledge is concerned ,i can provide you their contact det:9396556197

Music is to be listened in stereo. I dont think there is any benefit in converting them to DTS or Dolby or anything else.

If the music comes encoded in 5.1 or 7.1 its a different thing. But pure stereo is most satisfying when it comes to music.

no, my point is to listen to 2 channel sound, but want the AVR to do the decoding..
Also I have good collection of CDs, but dont want to spend on a CD player for now.. I am sure if the DAC on the CD player is 100, then atleast the DAC on the AVR should be 60.

I was thinking of converting audio CDs to some lossless format, which can be passed bitstream either by the DVD player or HTPC to the AVR.
Since dolby/DTS apart from TrueHD are ones which can be decoded by AVR, I was thinking of converting the Audio CD to DTS/Stereo and burn them on a data CD.

Dts is difficult as no free softW available.I use D2X which has live upconvertion of 2 ch to DD OR Dts.
Can you test AC3Filter and compare the live upconversion feature(only for DD)?

I want to know how much of a difference does a software upconversion make
in comparison to a sound card feature..

Please check the settings of ACFilter(screenshots), which I have posted on this thread..

http://www.hifivision.com/home-thea...ng-mp3-avr-sample-rates-other-than-48khz.html

its not long before amd wd come up with 5xxx series based chipsets..which wd support audio bit streaming on the mobo itself..
still may take more than 6 months..
meanwhile check out 890gx with 4290 onboard
GA-890GPA-UD3H (rev. 1.0) - GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Specification

Well guys I have two queries.
First - I use DVI to VGA converter to get videos from my XFX 260 BE cause it has not HDMI out and my LG 42" LCD has not DVI in so I have to convert DVI to VGA and use VGA in of my LCD and I'm getting very decent PQ other option I have I can use DVI to HDMI cable to use LCD's HDMI in but I could not found it locally.Now my question is should I go for DVI to HDMI converter cable will it improve HD/full HD videos significantly instead of using DVI to VGA conversion n if yes then which quality cable should I opt for n for how much.

Second query is about sound I'm using creative's X-fi extreme gamer sound card N planing to build a home theater so my question is can I skip AVR Denon 1910 n get a five channel AMP instead as my source input will be PC all the time or AVR is a must if it performs better then my soundcard in audio processing.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back