Need help for improving pc audio

ssps

Here is my setup ...

Pc - i3 processor, gigabyte h55m motherboard - no dedicated sound card..
AVR- Denon 791 with polk 5.1 & sub

I want to know how to improve the audio quality from PC, whether a good sound card will do or to buy DAC .Budget 10 to 15k , usually plays flac audio files.

Now I am listening mp3 files thru denon usb port & want to know whether PC with better configuration will sound better??

I have connected pc to Denon thru hdmi for viewing movies..

Connect the line of DAC to one of the analog RCA in of the AVR. This way the DAC of denon is avoided from the chain.

Typically people would opt for either a Sound Card or a DAC. Personally I have had the best experiences when you use a Sound card and then take a Digital out and connect to a DAC. From the DAC, to the speakers.

Analog outs from Sound cards often times sound a little bit unrefined. But then it is down to personal preference.

After this, you can optimize your software to get rid of jitter and what not! ASIO output from Windows is a must!

All the best

In my opinion going for a DAC with both USB and Optical will be better than going for a sound card since in the former case you can also utilize the DAc to connect to a CDP or even BDP in future for playback of stereo CDs. Although there are options where sound cards can also accept optical input but nevertheless you have to keep BDP and PC both on at the same time unless you play CDP / DVD always using PC.

After reading the asus xonar stx thread in HTPC thread I came to a conclusion of buying the sound card. Already installed foobar & waspi and heard good difference in sound quality. But the problem is 5.1 sound , for which I have to use hdmi. so planning to connect pc to tv thru VGA cable and audio thru rca cables for listening music . Will it work ?

Regarding DAC I have a Philips dvd player but not much of cd collection so sticking with pc for listening music.

yes your vga - rca combo will work, alternately if your pc has hdmi out which your tv can input you can very well keep that, just change audio device as Xonar in foobar and let HDMI remain your default video device

I have experienced an issue which seems to be doing its round quite a bit but without a concrete solution so far. Just purchased an LG 32" LCD, I have connected my PC through ATI 5450's HDMI out with the TV. My Xonar DX is connected to the Yamaha AVR with a Toslink cable. Now I do not get any audio from the Xonar. I am guessing that is because the 5450's built in HD audio controller. I have tried setting the Xonar as the default device from Windows control panel, tried disabling 5450 as an audio controller, even removed the 5450 as an audio device completely but to no avail.
What if I let the HDMI cable take the audio through the 5450 to the AVR, in that case the AVR's DAC takes over as against to the Xonar, right? I am a little divided because I do not wish to render my Xonar as redundant, I like it a lot :(

I have experienced an issue which seems to be doing its round quite a bit but without a concrete solution so far. Just purchased an LG 32" LCD, I have connected my PC through ATI 5450's HDMI out with the TV. My Xonar DX is connected to the Yamaha AVR with a Toslink cable. Now I do not get any audio from the Xonar. I am guessing that is because the 5450's built in HD audio controller. I have tried setting the Xonar as the default device from Windows control panel, tried disabling 5450 as an audio controller, even removed the 5450 as an audio device completely but to no avail.
What if I let the HDMI cable take the audio through the 5450 to the AVR, in that case the AVR's DAC takes over as against to the Xonar, right? I am a little divided because I do not wish to render my Xonar as redundant, I like it a lot :(

I think you can set the preference in the windows sound settings to choose Xonar for sound and I think once done over hdmi you should be getting only the video and not audio. Or try not to install the audio drivers for 5450 and install only the video if you intending to use Xonar for all audio purposes (movies and music)

I think you can set the preference in the windows sound settings to choose Xonar for sound and I think once done over hdmi you should be getting only the video and not audio. Or try not to install the audio drivers for 5450 and install only the video if you intending to use Xonar for all audio purposes (movies and music)

Thanks Manni for replying. I have tried to choose the Xonar over the ATI in sound settings and tried pretty much everything else otherwise and it has not helped. I have stopped short of reinstalling the drivers, and if needed reinstalling Windows. Have not had a chance to do these, but will keep trying and lets see what happens.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back