need help in ripping only the movie track of a dvd

realactivex

Folks,
This weekend, when my 3 year old broke her " Over the hedge" dvd, i realised that i needed to back up my dvds before all my collection fails.
so, after reading some posts here and elsewhere in the web, i downloaded dvd decrypter software and created ISO images of my dvd movies and stored them in my hard disk. So far so good.
I went to xcite and purchased sony 4.7GB DVD-R disks to copy these movies.
However, the ISO copies in my harddisk were excess of 5GB (some as high as 5.7gb) and therefore would not fit into the standard 4.7gb dvds.
Folks need suggestions from you on two counts:
1. can i split my 5.7gb file and store it on 2 dvds and still read them normally from a standard dvd player?
2. Is there a way, wherein i can remove all the movie trailers and extras from the original dvd image and thereby reduce its size to under 4.7gb? Please note that I want my copy to retain the full length movie in its original quality. No compromises there.

Please help.. i am stuck

Regards
Murali

If you're not looking to compress or convert to other formats like Divx then ConvertXtoDVD is the best. Just compress them to a single layer DVD size. Works perfect, easy to use and PQ is good for full DVD size. D/l trial to check it out at AVI to DVD Video Converter Software VSO ConvertXtoDVD Download now

Folks,
This weekend, when my 3 year old broke her " Over the hedge" dvd, i realised that i needed to back up my dvds before all my collection fails.
so, after reading some posts here and elsewhere in the web, i downloaded dvd decrypter software and created ISO images of my dvd movies and stored them in my hard disk. So far so good.
However, the ISO copies in my harddisk were excess of 5GB (some as high as 5.7gb) and therefore would not fit into the standard 4.7gb dvds.
1. can i split my 5.7gb file and store it on 2 dvds and still read them normally from a standard dvd player?
2. Is there a way, wherein i can remove all the movie trailers and extras from the original dvd image and thereby reduce its size to under 4.7gb? Please note that I want my copy to retain the full length movie in its original quality. No compromises there.

Please help.. i am stuck

Regards
Murali

Folks,

Please help.. i am stuck

Regards
Murali

You can download DVDShrink, a free software. Google should be able to help you in locating a link. Its given on many forums.

Regds / Shailender

I have used DVD Shrink to copy DVDs and its great if your disc is not encrypted.You can make a true copy or a compressed copy. If you have to break the encryption then have to use a different software to do it like DVD 43.
:licklips:

Thanks all for your replies..
I still need that one software which can help me make a true and complete copy of only the movie part. I do not want to include the extras (like trailers etc) in the back up disk. The goal is to fit in the movie in a 4.7 GB disk.
Also, i do not want to change the movie to divx or some other format. I just want to keep it plain and simple in its original format (and exclude all the extras).

Thanks all for your replies..
I still need that one software which can help me make a true and complete copy of only the movie part. I do not want to include the extras (like trailers etc) in the back up disk. The goal is to fit in the movie in a 4.7 GB disk.
Also, i do not want to change the movie to divx or some other format. I just want to keep it plain and simple in its original format (and exclude all the extras).

DVDShrink!!!

Hi,

Buddy you can do this with DVD Shrink !! you can allow the software to backup entire DVD to a standard DVD-R or you can remove the unwanted materials what you have mentioned,there are options to do both !

Or if you take my advice,I'd say buy a Dual Layer (8.4Gb) Blank Disc and burn the ISO image that you've made ! that way you'll have a Exact same backup disc ! there are many such discs available ! it costs roughly Rs 125/- and is well worth the money (if you consider the cost of the original disc) !!

If you are unable to purchase such dual layer please send me a PM, I can help you procure some discs !

Regards.

Hi RealActiveX,

i would prefer the second option which SoundsGreat has mentioned which is to procure Dual Layer discs and burn an exact copy from the original. I have a friend of mine who has a good collection of such dual layer disc movies, which is done to keep his original collection intact.

Each DL empty disc costs about 50 bucks each and is easily available.

Hi RealActiveX,

i would prefer the second option which SoundsGreat has mentioned which is to procure Dual Layer discs and burn an exact copy from the original. I have a friend of mine who has a good collection of such dual layer disc movies, which is done to keep his original collection intact.

Each DL empty disc costs about 50 bucks each and is easily available.

I would be interested in procuring DL DVDs at Rs. 50 each. Here they quoted around Rs. 100+ for each and also availability is not much probably because no one goes for them at that price compared to Rs. 13 a Sony DVD costs when sold in bulk/loose. They will definitely come in handy to backup HD Rips that I'm making of my cousin's Blu-Ray DVDs.

Hi,

Me too:licklips: !! please do let me know from where I can purchase such discs and which brand is it ?

Regards.

Moser-baer DL for 60 @ local shops in Mumbai,Thane(variety):eek:hyeah:

DVDFab is best software which can copy main mov,customise it, can copy whole DL DVD on two regular DVDs with menu etc(Divide into 2)
copy to ipod etc...........:clapping:

Remove DVD Copy Protection | DVD backup software

Last edited:
Hi SoundsGreat,

We get it from SP Road, i think its either imation or moserbaer.
I will confirm with my friend on the brand though to be sure.

Dont use dvd shrink. Its handy if the compression levels required are very less. if U are going to compress by a great amount, the end quality of the end product is not very good (due to the algorithm used). Its better to reconstruct the dvd again ( forgot the name of the software) to get good quality.

DVD Fab is a good option. It lets you remove unnecessary things from the dvd, e.g. trailers, additional audio/subtitle streams etc. It also can compress ur movie to fit on one dvd, as well as split the main movie (with or without menus on both) to 2 dvd single layers.

Thank you all for your great responses.
As i said earlier, my goal is not to compress the movie. i Just wanted to remove the extras.
Therefore buying a Dual layer disk at this point does not make sense for me (especially as i purchased a lot of blank sony 4.7gb disks)
i shall try dvd shrink and/ or dvd fab.
I am hoping that- as i will not compress anything- my copy will be as good as the original.

If you are looking for cheap & good quality DL DVDs then look here, Rs. 375 for a 5 disc pack (including shipping) its quite safe to buy from this guy, bought few stuffs myself. Also there are regular DVDs for Rs. 650 for a 50 DVD pack here

For DVD re-authoring I used to use DVD-Rebuilder

If you are looking for cheap & good quality DL DVDs then look here, Rs. 375 for a 5 disc pack (including shipping) its quite safe to buy from this guy, bought few stuffs myself. Also there are regular DVDs for Rs. 650 for a 50 DVD pack here

For DVD re-authoring I used to use DVD-Rebuilder

Still costly as MB DVD DL are available for Rs60.single.
National DVD-R is available for Rs.8 only.

Back