Need Help - Projector Screen for Epson 3020 (TW6100 in Europe)

I am in the same boat as you. But my need is fixed, so I was looking for (a) the screen material or (b) the matte grey shade to paint the wall. Thank you for the pointer.

A friend got a 120" Carl's flexi white shipped to India at $250 all inclusive (16:9) recently. It came with the black masking tapes, frame, the works. But then it was for a fixed screen. But amazing value, beautiful picture rendering. He has a DLP (so do I). For Epson, since it is brighter, it might be better to go for grey screens?

For manual pull down, you could potentially better the tautness of the screen by putting a cement filled metal pipe instead of the one that it comes with? I am just thinking aloud here.

Will be very useful if you post the quotes that you are getting for screens here.

The bedroom installation would be a problem because the projector is big and it has to be ceiling mounted with a retractable arm. It has to be perpendicular to the screen to prevent skewing of the image. The projector has keystone correction however using the same will decrease image sharpness. This is one of the few drawbacks of the 6100 as it does not have lens shift. The three other shortcomings are iris shutter noise, heat from the exhaust and lower black levels than the higher model 8100 especially if you are addicted to inky blacks of plasmas and oleds.

I was using a DIY fixed frame with blackout cloth that I purchased from a local furnishing store. Blackout cloth is a very good choice if you are looking for the cheapest option. The image quality and contrast was good considering the cloth costed me only Rs. 900/ to fit a 100" 16:9 frame.

Last year I upgraded to a 100" 16:9 motorized screen (matt white) and the brand name is "Advance Zeno" that costed me Rs. 12500. The screen is sold and shipped by a dealer in Hyderabad and you can write to [email protected] to get a quotation for Advance Zeno screens.

I have not done any comparison with the premium brand like Elite screens or the popular liberty screens with the one I have so I cannot comment on how much better they can be in terms of picture quality for the projector I have but I am quite satisfied with the image and contrast quality of this screen as well as its material and build quality. IMO I would only look at more expensive screens if I have one of those high contrast premium projectors from Panasonic and Sony but for the entry level Benq W1070 that I have, this is optimum and VFM. Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Wow. Valuable information are flowing in. Thanks to everyone.

Now I'm getting so many ideas to play with. I'm not ruling out any of them and will try to take demo of each available type in my city.

I'm planning to put a 1.5 ton AC in that room. But I need to keep the option open for celling fan as well.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

One more question. For a wall size of 9'6" X 10'6" (width X height), what screen size should be advisable?

My walls are painted with light colors and my viewing distance would be approx 11' to 13'.

In my search for screens, I found a supplier to most movie theaters, Hansa group.

Their contact details are as follows
Enquiries - Hansa Pictures pvt ltd

They have branches in many cities. They supply screen material of porous type (maybe regular ones, I am not sure) which helps in hiding the equipment behind the screen. This enables a much larger screen.

One more question. For a wall size of 9'6" X 10'6" (width X height), what screen size should be advisable?

My walls are painted with light colors and my viewing distance would be approx 11' to 13'.

You should decide with your eye :) . Project it on your wall and go with your comfort zone. As screen size increase cost ill also increase. Consider the dimension of the hole unit , my 92 inch diagonal, whole console width was 100 inch

Last edited:
Use this link
Projection Calculator Pro - Projector to Screen Distance

In general, the the viewing distance is recommended to be 1.5 times screen width.

I was aware of this calculator. Epson also provides similar calculator in their site as well.
Thanks for sharing.

In my search for screens, I found a supplier to most movie theaters, Hansa group.

Their contact details are as follows
Enquiries - Hansa Pictures pvt ltd

They have branches in many cities. They supply screen material of porous type (maybe regular ones, I am not sure) which helps in hiding the equipment behind the screen. This enables a much larger screen.

Thanks @sud98. I'll check with them.

You should decide with your eye :) . Project it on your wall and go with your comfort zone. As screen size increase cost ill also increase. Consider the dimension of the hole unit , my 92 inch diagonal, whole console width was 100 inch

This kind of makes sense. But I was just skeptical whether 100" or a 110" screen will be enough or be big for a wall width of 9'6" and 12' viewing distance. I guess I need to check it out for myself.

For reference: a 110" 16:9 screen will measure approx 8' X 4'5" (W X H)

As the wall is not too wide and side walls are having light color paint, I was wondering whether there would be too much reflection for a screen size of 110" (i.e. 8' wide screen on a 9'6" wide wall). I was also wondering whether this will spoil the actual movie viewing experience or not.

Did anyone experience this type of scenario?

Yes you will have reflections which in turn will decrease contrast.
Ok. Now could you suggest what could be done to avoid it? Should I consider dark wallpapers for side walls? Or is there any other way?

How about curtains on the walls on the entire lengths?

The ceiling will also reflect the light from the projector. Maybe you could paint it a slightly darker shade. Though darker ceilings appear to be lower than actual.

I have to really think hard on this as it directly corresponds to WAF.

Nice idea. Much appreciated.

Curtains and Matt wallpaper will do the trick and look great too in a bedroom setting. Thick double layered dark curtain on windows will help in acoustic improvement too.

Basically what happens is that the epson is really bright so whenever it gets projected on the screen the screen itself becomes a source of light which is reflected by the ceilings and walls. This light in turn diminishes the contrast as it turns the dark coloured portions of the movie into grey shades. Though it is not impossible to watch but there is no harm if you can go for a decor change.

I believe the most problematic part of your installation in a bedroom would be the ceiling mounting of the projector. It is big, relatively heavy, needs a power and long HDMI cable. It also needs to be places perpendicular to the image to prevent formation of a trapezoid image instead of a rectangle without using keystone correction.

Curtains and Matt wallpaper will do the trick and look great too in a bedroom setting. Thick double layered dark curtain on windows will help in acoustic improvement too.

Basically what happens is that the epson is really bright so whenever it gets projected on the screen the screen itself becomes a source of light which is reflected by the ceilings and walls. This light in turn diminishes the contrast as it turns the dark coloured portions of the movie into grey shades. Though it is not impossible to watch but there is no harm if you can go for a decor change.

I believe the most problematic part of your installation in a bedroom would be the ceiling mounting of the projector. It is big, relatively heavy, needs a power and long HDMI cable. It also needs to be places perpendicular to the image to prevent formation of a trapezoid image instead of a rectangle without using keystone correction.

Thanks @Audiodoc for this valuable information. I'll keep that in mind.

I have started my research by checking the epson's throw distance calculator. It's giving me a rough idea about the drop from the mount from celling etc. I was thinking about fixing a wooden shelf on the opposite wall and placing the pj over there.

I was planning to get a 35' hdmi cable as my avr would sit below the screen and pj on the opposite wall.

To tell you the truth, home ministry is completely unware of the purchase yet. [emoji4]. I have to go through a series of apologies and promises about not buying anything for an year as soon as the PJ is delivered. Then we'll sit together for the room decorating. Lol.
I think all married FM will understand how it works [emoji3]

Thanks @Audiodoc for this valuable information. I'll keep that in mind.

I have started my research by checking the epson's throw distance calculator. It's giving me a rough idea about the drop from the mount from celling etc. I was thinking about fixing a wooden shelf on the opposite wall and placing the pj over there.

I was planning to get a 35' hdmi cable as my avr would sit below the screen and pj on the opposite wall.

To tell you the truth, home ministry is completely unware of the purchase yet. [emoji4]. I have to go through a series of apologies and promises about not buying anything for an year as soon as the PJ is delivered. Then we'll sit together for the room decorating. Lol.
I think all married FM will understand how it works [emoji3]

:eek::eek::eek:
Home ministry is still unaware? This should be good. :licklips:

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back