NEED HELP TO BUILT A Perfect Music Stereo System

K Chris Kire

Hi All!! I'm a newbie around here.. I'm looking forward to advise and suggestions in setting up a purely Music system (non surround system).

Sole purpose is to LISTEN TO MUSIC ONLY. Namely the following components are my requirements.

1. A Pair of Floor Standing Speakers (3way)
2. Amplifier
3. CD Player + Media Player to play MP3
4. Turntable
5. Cassette Deck Player

Total Budget 2 lacs.

Inputs with the name of the brands for the components that matches best would be much appreciated.

Thanks Guys.

Last edited:
It would be better if first you go and demo the various options available. See the kind of sound you like and the components that work for you. Then suggestions would make sense.
If you just want to buy based on suggestions then you can go to any hifi site and pick from their recommended components.

Sound by Design in Gurgaon and Bass n Treble in Ghitorni on MG Road. They should have enough options .

chris,

search the forum and read up.

get to know about what you would like in your system in terms of sound signature.

In Delhi - the places to audition include ( not limited to )..

Lakozy
Bass & Treble
Lyrita Audio

Hifimart has a some nice deals from time to time too..and they deliver all India.

look at hifiads.com too

The recently launched wharfedale 230 + a powerful marantz amp / cd could be considered.

But only an audition will tell you if you like the sound especially as you live in Kohima and i suppose the logistics of transporting would be something to think about.

regards

PS : There is nothing as perfect. There are only a set of compromises that one lives with.

HI Chris,

read up a lot... theres so much info out there.... but for a start look at brands that have a good reputation for service.... the following would be a good starting point...

3 way floorstander - wharfedale, amp - marantz/CA, turntable - Project

look at the option of a mac mini and an external DAC. its a much better investment than a CD player

For cassette player you might have to look for old used ones or import a TEAC one. as far as i know they are the only ones available brand new. For used if you are lucky you might find a good nakamichi / technics / denon

Thanks mpw.. your input has been valuable and since I'm frequent to Delhi I plan for an audition soon. A little more penny to spend to earned what i desire is my situation :)

HI Chris,

read up a lot... theres so much info out there.... but for a start look at brands that have a good reputation for service.... the following would be a good starting point...

3 way floorstander - wharfedale, amp - marantz/CA, turntable - Project

look at the option of a mac mini and an external DAC. its a much better investment than a CD player

For cassette player you might have to look for old used ones or import a TEAC one. as far as i know they are the only ones available brand new. For used if you are lucky you might find a good nakamichi / technics / denon

Hi Jairus... Thanks for your input. Yes service issue is pertinent and is part of my criteria.

Will try your suggested combo.

Hi All!! I'm a newbie around here.. I'm looking forward to advise and suggestions in setting up a purely Music system (non surround system).

Sole purpose is to LISTEN TO MUSIC ONLY. Namely the following components are my requirements.

1. A Pair of Floor Standing Speakers (3way)
2. Amplifier
3. CD Player + Media Player to play MP3
4. Turntable
5. Cassette Deck Player

Total Budget 2 lacs.

Inputs with the name of the brands for the components that matches best would be much appreciated.

Thanks Guys.

The most important criteria should not be the system - it should be the type of music you listen to, how you listen to it (relaxed, how loud, bass heavy, etc.), and how your room is setup (size, furniture, how much space the speakers will have), and other constraints (wife factor, decor factor, kids, etc.). Also, what format is your existing music in (for example, do you have hundreds of CDs already)? Are you also open to used components?

In my humble opinion, the system should follow these constraints, not the other way around. We only tend to think of audio systems the other way around (brand oriented) because it is so darn difficult to access various brands and listen to them properly.

And why specifically 3-way floorstanders?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back