Need help with acoustic treatment ideas for my room

Thanks for your inputs and pics @Yelamanchili manohar! That's some serious DIY.

I've noted your point on the 2' wide corner bass traps. Unfortunately I won't be able to sacrifice 1' all along the front wall for the bass treatment.

Can you share which panel you used for partial absorber/diffuser? Seems like you haven't done anything for the ceiling?

BTW, that looks like a pretty serious turntable peaking out in one of the pics. Which TT is that?

@sud98, I've seen that calculator and am playing around with some numbers.

Here is my room layout..
- small squares are speakers
- rectangle in center is the sofa
- dotted rectangle will be the acoustic ceiling
- bass trap in one corner (other corner is really an opening into a passage)

1644410837198.png

Thanks for your inputs and pics @Yelamanchili manohar! That's some serious DIY.

I've noted your point on the 2' wide corner bass traps. Unfortunately I won't be able to sacrifice 1' all along the front wall for the bass treatment.

Can you share which panel you used for partial absorber/diffuser? Seems like you haven't done anything for the ceiling?

BTW, that looks like a pretty serious turntable peaking out in one of the pics. Which TT is that?

@sud98, I've seen that calculator and am playing around with some numbers.

Here is my room layout..
- small squares are speakers
- rectangle in center is the sofa
- dotted rectangle will be the acoustic ceiling
- bass trap in one corner (other corner is really an opening into a passage)

View attachment 67076
Thanks for the kind words atharva :)

Yeah I lost a few kgs building those traps :D

Iam just posting my idea of setting up in that space. Of course all depends on the bosses permission :D

Now let me explain the advantages :

1. You can have wide and deep bass traps in the corner. More importantly you will have symmetric bass traps on both sides.
2. The back is opening into the wide open kitchen. A lot of dedicated rooms are designed like this from the ground up. As the back room ( kitchen in your case ), acts as low pressure vent for the room, and is used for storing kit like vinyl etc. This back opening helps a lot with evening out bass build ups.
3. The two broad band absorbers on the kitchen entrance sides will help in eliminating flutter echoes.
4. If you sit in the sofa at center, with the speakers 4 ft from TV wall, and 8 ft from each other, then you will most likely end up in a near field equilateral triangle. This will give the benefit of not having to treat the side walls, and will counter the negative effects of asymmetrical walls on the sides.
5. With a big flat screen TV mounted on the wider wall. You have enough room on the sides of the TV, to stack panels flanking the TV. And you can play with fine tuning the speaker and panel position, so that first reflections from speakers land exactly on the panels. This will give you good perception of depth in the sound stage. Even though you have a TV in the center.
6. The acoustic ceiling can be limited to the plane of the speakers, there by giving you more design choices.
7. When you want to inculcate a HT system, you can place your left and right surround speakers on the wall next to the kitchen entrance. You can mount the speakers on the acoustic panels, and make it a neat looking design statement.
8. Since the ceiling treatment is limited to the plane of the speakers. The false ceiling to the sides of the ceiling tiles can be used to house the atmos speakers.

So, please let me know if you have any doubts. All the best :)2.jpg

Forgot to answer a few of your queries in the above post :)
1. The TT is a acoustic signature challenger mk3.
2. I got the panels from a friend. And he got them from a DIY gentleman.
3. My treatment is still not complete at the moment :(
4. My front wall, side walls and ceiling is still untreated. I don't think I can ever treat my ceiling, as the frames and gypsum board of the false ceiling won't support the weight of the panels :(
5. Despite the sparse treatment, the sound will blow anyones mind. And there in lies the beauty of a equilateral near field setup. I might add side wall and front wall treatment if I can do it aesthetically. But iam fine even if I leave it like this.
6. But I will certainly be adding 16 of the below bass panels to my room.

Last edited:
I think YM has answered most of the big questions. Put a bass trap in all corners that you can and try and make it with atleast 1 feet depth. Bass traps are cheap to make but painful as hell to get done (small work, carpenters will not agree, handling rockwool...) but once done can be made aesthetically very good esp. if you use spandex cloth of appropriate colours to meet your decor requirements.

Also, why compromise on a TV, you can have a 150 inch screen which will blow your mind from an immersive experience perspective. While the sharpness and colour accuracy of a high quality OLED wont be matched, but at your distances and room size I think it will be the better choice.

Roxul rockwool is priced at around Rs4000 on Aural Exchange, whereas I bought it directly from distributer for Rs1500. Just be careful with the pricing of such materials.

@Yelamanchili manohar really appreciate your inputs. Unfortunately that orientation was considered and vetoed. I haven't drawn the entrance to the house in the pic that is near the 5' wall. That combined with our other aesthetics didn't have WAF. So I'm going to have to work with the current layout.

@sud98, I'm investigating a projector. I'd started a thread on this (https://www.hifivision.com/threads/help-with-planning-for-projector-and-screen.85249/) but didn't get much feedback. Should've posted it to the Projector forum. Will start a new one there.

@Anshul_J , thanks for the info.

@Yelamanchili manohar really appreciate your inputs. Unfortunately that orientation was considered and vetoed. I haven't drawn the entrance to the house in the pic that is near the 5' wall. That combined with our other aesthetics didn't have WAF. So I'm going to have to work with the current layout.

@sud98, I'm investigating a projector. I'd started a thread on this (https://www.hifivision.com/threads/help-with-planning-for-projector-and-screen.85249/) but didn't get much feedback. Should've posted it to the Projector forum. Will start a new one there.

@Anshul_J , thanks for the info.
Absolutely no worries atharva :)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back