Need help with hometheatre setup

Srikimech

Hello Experts,

I am a newbie in this forum and wanted to sincerely post this very basic Questions, for help required in setting up a home theatre system. I am planning to setup home theatre system(5.1 or 7.1 later) in my Living room spaced 15 ft * 13 Ft. My budget is 1.3 Lakhs.
Listening preference:
Movies (HD Channels and internet based - Netflix, Prime and YouTube)
More importantly, my wife is a Carnatic vocalist and would listen to classical and Carnatic much more. Preference is to have the Voice and percussion instrument clarity with a decently good bass for movies.

Currently I don't have any setup in place and would like to start from Scratch, I believe in building up the system by adding components like rear speakers etc later. I have browsed through the posts of this forum a lot, and have heard a lot of reviews on Many speaker brands like Taga harmony, Polk Audio, wharfdale etc. with more choices also comes more confusion. To get a feeler and to have a starting point, I visited Profx in Bangalore yesterday and they showed me both Polk Audio Signature series and KEF speakers and suggested for DENON 2500 H AVR along with Polk Audio Subwoofer (Sorry don't know the series). I am ok to buy only a AVR + STanding speakers + Sub (If it comes in this range)

Since i am absolutely starting from scratch, can you please suggest a
Good AVR ( I Liked the versatility of Denon 2500 though and want to go with it), but really open if there are other less expensive but good options
Good Standing speakers (Polk, Liked KEF for sound quality but has very less bass, Taga or any) - I have read about many models in this forum but still confused what goes good for my audio requirements
Good sub woofer.

I am longing to experience Taga or wharfdale but don't know a place in Bangalore where i can experience it. I only knew PROFX and visited them yesterday. Need your suggestion for me to make my decision and setup my first audio system. Apologies if these questions are very basic and if i needed to do more research in this forum earlier.

Regards
Srikanth Vittal

Hello Experts,

I am a newbie in this forum and wanted to sincerely post this very basic Questions, for help required in setting up a home theatre system. I am planning to setup home theatre system(5.1 or 7.1 later) in my Living room spaced 15 ft * 13 Ft. My budget is 1.3 Lakhs.
Listening preference:
Movies (HD Channels and internet based - Netflix, Prime and YouTube)
More importantly, my wife is a Carnatic vocalist and would listen to classical and Carnatic much more. Preference is to have the Voice and percussion instrument clarity with a decently good bass for movies.

Currently I don't have any setup in place and would like to start from Scratch, I believe in building up the system by adding components like rear speakers etc later. I have browsed through the posts of this forum a lot, and have heard a lot of reviews on Many speaker brands like Taga harmony, Polk Audio, wharfdale etc. with more choices also comes more confusion. To get a feeler and to have a starting point, I visited Profx in Bangalore yesterday and they showed me both Polk Audio Signature series and KEF speakers and suggested for DENON 2500 H AVR along with Polk Audio Subwoofer (Sorry don't know the series). I am ok to buy only a AVR + STanding speakers + Sub (If it comes in this range)

Since i am absolutely starting from scratch, can you please suggest a
Good AVR ( I Liked the versatility of Denon 2500 though and want to go with it), but really open if there are other less expensive but good options
Good Standing speakers (Polk, Liked KEF for sound quality but has very less bass, Taga or any) - I have read about many models in this forum but still confused what goes good for my audio requirements
Good sub woofer.

I am longing to experience Taga or wharfdale but don't know a place in Bangalore where i can experience it. I only knew PROFX and visited them yesterday. Need your suggestion for me to make my decision and setup my first audio system. Apologies if these questions are very basic and if i needed to do more research in this forum earlier.

Regards
Srikanth Vittal
You may approach Jamsticks in Bangalore who has all Jamo speakers that you want to audition. His price is a bit more when compared to others but you can definitely audition there. He has a demo room in Jayanagar.

I am planning to setup home theatre system(5.1 or 7.1 later) in my Living room spaced 15 ft * 13 Ft. My budget is 1.3 Lakhs.

At-least a 7.1 set-up should be good in your living room size.. With that budget, you should be able to comfortably complete a 7.1 AVR + 5.1 set-up..

How much did the Pro FX quote for Denon x 2500?.. This is a year 2 yrs older AVR, but still fine for your 7.1 needs.. Try to get a good price and negotiate if you can.. So that settles the AVR, if the deal works out..

For HT purpose, towers can be skipped, as subwoofers will do lions share of duty for low freq.. So, in that regard a Book shelf speakers, which can be wall mounted is fine.. The same speakers can be repeated for surrounds and heights as well..

Pro FX should have Polk Signature S series of speakers..

A pair of S15 for fronts (L/R) + 2 pairs of S10 (one pair of surrounds & one pair for heights).. These speakers have threaded inserts, so they can be mounted at any location using compatible brackets.. A matching center from the same series, and a sub should possible inside your budget..

AVR + Speakers together from the same place, will work out better in most cases..

You may approach Jamsticks in Bangalore who has all Jamo speakers that you want to audition. His price is a bit more when compared to others but you can definitely audition there. He has a demo room in Jayanagar.
Thanks a lot for the direction

At-least a 7.1 set-up should be good in your living room size.. With that budget, you should be able to comfortably complete a 7.1 AVR + 5.1 set-up..

How much did the Pro FX quote for Denon x 2500?.. This is a year 2 yrs older AVR, but still fine for your 7.1 needs.. Try to get a good price and negotiate if you can.. So that settles the AVR, if the deal works out..

For HT purpose, towers can be skipped, as subwoofers will do lions share of duty for low freq.. So, in that regard a Book shelf speakers, which can be wall mounted is fine.. The same speakers can be repeated for surrounds and heights as well..

Pro FX should have Polk Signature S series of speakers..

A pair of S15 for fronts (L/R) + 2 pairs of S10 (one pair of surrounds & one pair for heights).. These speakers have threaded inserts, so they can be mounted at any location using compatible brackets.. A matching center from the same series, and a sub should possible inside your budget..

AVR + Speakers together from the same place, will work out better in most cases..
Thanks a lot for your suggestion, for AVR he quoted 67 K, but mentioned would discount something. should come around 55K is what i think.

I will try to work out around this. Some how from aesthetics I am still a fan of tower speakers for their looks and output. Does S15 do the same job as Tower.

Wanted to know your opinion, If it would be a good idea to try something in KEF.

55k is way too much for a model that is 2 generations old. How about a different approach? Get a stereo amplifier that gives around 70 wpc. Add a pair of floorstanders. This will take care of your wife's requirement. Later on, get an AVR with preouts and matching center speaker. Add surrounds and a sub to taste. This I think will be abetter option rather than just an AVR. One size, unfortunately, doesn't fit all when it comes to both music and movies.

for AVR he quoted 67 K, but mentioned would discount something. should come around 55K is what i think.

Ok. Try to negotiate a better deal.. You would anyways get a yrs warranty with device..

I will try to work out around this. Some how from aesthetics I am still a fan of tower speakers for their looks and output. Does S15 do the same job as Tower.

Obviously towers are slightly more capable than BS, w.r.t low output.. But the common function in AVR is to set all the speakers as small in settings and route the low freq to subwoofers, which can reproduce with more oomph than the floor-standers.. If you like towers, go for it.. Choice is yours..

Wanted to know your opinion, If it would be a good idea to try something in KEF.

If you like KEF, then look at the offering.. The reason i suggested Signature series is that it will not exceed your budget and you can complete 7.1 set-up.. With KEF, it would cost more.. Whichever works for you..

55k is way too much for a model that is 2 generations old. How about a different approach? Get a stereo amplifier that gives around 70 wpc. Add a pair of floorstanders. This will take care of your wife's requirement. Later on, get an AVR with preouts and matching center speaker. Add surrounds and a sub to taste. This I think will be abetter option rather than just an AVR. One size, unfortunately, doesn't fit all when it comes to both music and movies.
Hello Shuv, Thanks for a different approach. i reconfirmed that the recommendation for AVR was X2600H. I liked the idea of amp and later adding to AVR with preouts. was thinking if i go with one good AVR it would cover both AMP and AVR function. I can start only with 2 good tower speakers. and later add the sub and other ones. Is this a good approach

Ok. Try to negotiate a better deal.. You would anyways get a yrs warranty with device..

Obviously towers are slightly more capable than BS, w.r.t low output.. But the common function in AVR is to set all the speakers as small in settings and route the low freq to subwoofers, which can reproduce with more oomph than the floor-standers.. If you like towers, go for it.. Choice is yours..

If you like KEF, then look at the offering.. The reason i suggested Signature series is that it will not exceed your budget and you can complete 7.1 set-up.. With KEF, it would cost more.. Whichever works for you..
Hello Elangos, Thanks again for guidance. I also liked the idea by Shuv.

I am now able to determine what would be good for me,

Should i negotiate a good price for Denon X2600 H or is there are alternative

1 AVR + 1 pair of towers, Would be happy if subs also fit in the budget - hopefully this covers good part of 5.1. May be later i can add the surround and top ones.

Needed your opinion, For my music requirement Should i go with Polk or KEF tower speaker or is there some other options Like taga harmony, XTI Sigma etc which i should try. Just had different opinions from different people in other posts

Regards
Srikanth

I will surely check out Jam sticks, is there any other place similar in Bangalore.

Should i negotiate a good price for Denon X2600 H or is there are alternative

Usually, any dealer would be able to adjust the price, if the billed amount is substantial.. So there is always a chance of negotiation.. Just use the fact that the AVR is 2 yrs old model, when they say price isn't negotiable further..

1 AVR + 1 pair of towers, Would be happy if subs also fit in the budget - hopefully this covers good part of 5.1. May be later i can add the surround and top ones.

A 2.1 is a good start with progressively adding components..

Needed your opinion, For my music requirement Should i go with Polk or KEF tower speaker or is there some other options Like taga harmony, XTI Sigma etc which i should try. Just had different opinions from different people in other posts

Since this is your first buy, try to audition for few combos and then settle for the one that sounds best to you..

Usually, any dealer would be able to adjust the price, if the billed amount is substantial.. So there is always a chance of negotiation.. Just use the fact that the AVR is 2 yrs old model, when they say price isn't negotiable further..

A 2.1 is a good start with progressively adding components..

Since this is your first buy, try to audition for few combos and then settle for the one that sounds best to you..
Sure, i will try to make a visit to jamsticks this weekend. I am still trying to collect information if there are any other places in Bangalore where i could audition

Thanks a lot for your suggestion, for AVR he quoted 67 K, but mentioned would discount something. should come around 55K is what i think.

55K is a lot of 2500. You can get the 2600 for that price. You can look at HifiMart, you can get it for that price and also there are some dealers you may approach locally here and you can get it delivered to your home for 55K. S15's are good. I am using those as surrounds in my set up..

Hello Shuv, Thanks for a different approach. i reconfirmed that the recommendation for AVR was X2600H. I liked the idea of amp and later adding to AVR with preouts. was thinking if i go with one good AVR it would cover both AMP and AVR function. I can start only with 2 good tower speakers. and later add the sub and other ones. Is this a good approach

Srikanth, mid level AVRs rarely perform really well with music in my experience. People usually buy an AVR (with pre outs) and add external power/Integrated amps later. I suggested to take the different approach as you've mentioned that your wife is an artist. Get a two channel rig first. A nice integrated amplifier and a decent floorstander can be had in your budget. This way, you're set for music. Add the AVR and the rest later. A happy wife would also mean a bigger allowance :p

i got the 2600 last year for about 55k. Bargain HARD.

I believe you mentioned that 55k is for X2600H as per the dealer , that is a good price for the 2600h in Bangalore. On the speaker side in addition to above suggestions you can also try the following fronts - Qacoustics 3050i (FS) /Qacoustics Concept 20 (BS) - These should be available for demo at The Home Cinema (Ecity) and Modern World (Domlur) . In addition you would be able to demo the Elac series at Modern World / XTZ series at Home Cinema. While some of these might end up overshooting your overall budget , the demo might convince you to do so.

Hi Mayank, Is this the book shelf speakers. any suggestions for good tower speakers.
While your listening space can certainly host towers, do consider BS if buying a sub upfront.
Budget towers do get some things wrong specially when it comes to music rendition.
Cheers,
Raghu

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back