Need help with my Pioneer VSX LX-302 AVR

capt_blazko

Hi everyone,

I got some doubts regarding my Pioneer VSX LX-302. Hope I could get some answers here. Found nothing relative anywhere in net. Any help is greatly appreciated.

My gear:
Sony X930e 65” TV
VSX LX302 AVR
Boston acoustics speakers
PS4 Pro
Xbox one X
Nvidia SHIELD TV
Mid-level PC
All are connected to AVR, then to TV through mono price premium HDMI cables.

Issues:

1. No sound when playing DTS HD-HRA videos from shield tv or PC. Everything else is fine. And the product page and the box says it supports hi-res audio..?
2. This is the main one. I figured out that 8 and 10 bit 4k content are reported as 24 and 30 bit 4k on the status box(press status button in remote). But when I output 12 bit 4k video it shows as 24 bit. I was expecting a 36 bit output, as the product website says that it supports deep color output, which is 36 bit(12 bit). Also, in my xbox when I chose 1080p for resolution and 12 bit output, the receiver reads it correctly and shows 36 bit in the status. 4K is where the problem starts. And when playing 4k remuxes in the shield(which are 24Hz and 10 bit btw), the avr reports as 4:2:2 24 bit whereas the correct one should be 4:2:0 30 bit.

So, that’s it. Just two problems..no big thing..lol.
Please let me know if you have come across any of these problems and found any workarounds for them. Or maybe just my unit is faulty. But I need to find out anyhow. Can't get rid of the thought that I'm missing out on something that I actually have.

Thank you,
Suren.V

Hi,

Firstly welcome to HFV!

This Forum consist of experienced professionals and even normal users as myself. Besides this forum, most of us are busy with regular life daily hurdles and so will dedicate time as and when possible.

There are ample threads and posts which have all or most of the information available. It is agreed that most of us would face a unique issue or challenge which cannot be responded to immediately.

I would suggest you post this challenge in the Pioneer Owners Thread where actual users will give their comments / suggestions more faster......There are ample users who use the same AVR model.

Another way to be sure is to check the owners manual and ensure setup is properly done with the right set of cables and version. Even one wrong low cable version can spoil the whole harmony!

Hi,

Did as you said. Gone through that thread already. Nobody else seems to have this issue. Yeah its a unique one, my bad. Anyway, thanks a lot for your reply. And sorry for my impatience.

S.V

Hi everyone,

I got some doubts regarding my Pioneer VSX LX-302. Hope I could get some answers here. Found nothing relative anywhere in net. Any help is greatly appreciated.

My gear:
Sony X930e 65” TV
VSX LX302 AVR
Boston acoustics speakers
PS4 Pro
Xbox one X
Nvidia SHIELD TV
Mid-level PC
All are connected to AVR, then to TV through mono price premium HDMI cables.

Issues:

1. No sound when playing DTS HD-HRA videos from shield tv or PC. Everything else is fine. And the product page and the box says it supports hi-res audio..?
2. This is the main one. I figured out that 8 and 10 bit 4k content are reported as 24 and 30 bit 4k on the status box(press status button in remote). But when I output 12 bit 4k video it shows as 24 bit. I was expecting a 36 bit output, as the product website says that it supports deep color output, which is 36 bit(12 bit). Also, in my xbox when I chose 1080p for resolution and 12 bit output, the receiver reads it correctly and shows 36 bit in the status. 4K is where the problem starts. And when playing 4k remuxes in the shield(which are 24Hz and 10 bit btw), the avr reports as 4:2:2 24 bit whereas the correct one should be 4:2:0 30 bit.

So, that’s it. Just two problems..no big thing..lol.
Please let me know if you have come across any of these problems and found any workarounds for them. Or maybe just my unit is faulty. But I need to find out anyhow. Can't get rid of the thought that I'm missing out on something that I actually have.

Thank you,
Suren.V
which player are you using on the shield ? try SPMC and kodi. try different audio output devices.

I'm using Kodi 17. Checked with SPMC too. DTS HD-HRA audio is not playing. The receiver reports input and output as blank (and sometimes as core DTS). So I think the problem is with the AVR. BTW, the movies in which I get these errors are fast and furious 6/7 4K and Immortals 1080p Blu-rays. All are 1:1 REMUXs (the best pq next to Blu-ray disks). And each movie sizes up to 50-80gb approx. And, I don't have any other audio output devices. Anyway thanks for your suggestions bro. Almost lost hope on this forum. By any chance, do you happen to know the cause of my problem #2.

Which settings. TV or shield. And I've tried every one. In shield both 8 and 12 bit setting outputs ybcr 422 24 bit. 10 bit outputs 420 30 bit. Can't get 12 bit i.e 36 bit no matter what I do. In TV the enhanced HDMI option is on. No settings about HDMI or color space in pioneer receiver. Thank you.

Not knowing how all of your settings are laid out, ideally, your TV should be the one upscaling the videos with everything as a pass through. Easiest wat to check if your AVR is the issue is to play a dvd or BD with DTS HD. If it does, then obviously some setting is off in the chain.

Dtshd is playing correctly what I'm talking about is DTS hra in shield. I don't have any 4k bd exclusive player like the oppo. Haven't tried my xb1x as bd player yet. But I don't think it can do 4k via USB HDD. Will try when I get back home. And about the tv setting, are you saying to set my shield Xbox and PS4 at 1080p.? Thank you.

Finally SOLVED (kind of). Hope this helps someone with a similar or same problem (found only one other person on the net having the same problem and he didn't reply or help). Found out the solution myself with the help of multiple forums and sites. The DTS HRA issue is because the Shield TV doesn't passthrough DTS-HRA audio more than 6 channels (5.1) but every other format is supported. And the AVR's incorrect info display is actually not a problem at all. It just shows a different measurement factor in which everything higher than 10 bit (i.e 30 bit in AVR) shows up as 24 bit in AVR. Many many technical details are involved here but I won't go on with those as I really don't know how to put it out like those experts in the various forums. So this basically means both 8 bit and 12 bit shows up as 24 bit 4:2:2. There is only one film that reports 30 bit 4:2:0 and that is Billy Lynn's long halftime walk. This is the only 4k HFR movie (taken in 60Hz). For every other (24Hz) 4k blu-rays, only 4:2:2 is supported (due to some HDMI bandwidth limit). I confirmed these results by trying multiple scenarios. But what finally made me believe is by playing dolby vision content (which is 12 bit) in Netflix on my xbox one x (with latest dolby vision update) which runs to my Sony X930e via my Pioneer receiver. And it works. The TV correctly recognises Dolby Vision and shows up a logo on top right. So, now I can finally stop this relentless hunt. Anyway, posted it here as no one will have to go through the whole net searching for these answers like I did (yes, this is extremely unlikely). Thanks to everyone here who tried to help.

Finally SOLVED.

I am bit confused. Are you saying that you now have audio being output to your speakers or is that still a problem?

I did think it must be an issue on the console/computer side but was not sure of limitations on hardware. Something like DTS-HD HRA is rarely advertised on product specifications such as on a Shield. I wonder what gpu outputs this standard.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back