Need ideas for stuffing my DIY Fostex BLRs

Anil put it well. In addition since drivers have different properties, a drop in replacement will not be possible without , in most cases, modifying the crossover as well.

George

dear anilva, thanks for the dope. i will take your point into account before venturing. I was under the impression (sic wrong impression) changing the driver will improve the sound quality of my speakers. that is not the way, I got it.

Dear George,

Ok, in that case I have to follow up your foot steps diy route to make a full range speakers with fostrex drivers. I will take your guidance when the project starts.

regards

Hi,

I have almost finished getting the cabinets built for the Fostex FE206Es based on Back Loaded Horn design of Fostex.

There are couple of sound insulation pads that I need to fit inside the enclosure before I close the sides of the boxes.

You can see the design at We are sorry - the page cannot be found.

Earlier I used to use automobile felt pads and they were quite dense, but are messy.

Any ideas of what new materials can be used, which are better for sound damping as well as being easy to handle. Suri, George..?

TIA
Anil

P.S: I will try and post the pictures of the internals of the enclosure before I get them closed.

Hi,
Have you tried coir for damping. As the size of the box is huge should be possible to damp with coir. Also availability and usage is easy and not expensive.

Success, Hari.

Hi,
Have you tried coir for damping. As the size of the box is huge should be possible to damp with coir. Also availability and usage is easy and not expensive.

Success, Hari.

Hmm how about stuffing whole coconuts instead ... :lol:

OK Kidding .. I'm outa here ... <Scoot!>

hi...reviving the thread...

looking for stuffing options/lining for my fe206e based BiBs. Thinking of felt for lining and closed-cell sponge or polyfill (taken from pillows)...

any advice? also where can I get these material in Bangalore?

:cheers:

hi...reviving the thread...

looking for stuffing options/lining for my fe206e based BiBs. Thinking of felt for lining and closed-cell sponge or polyfill (taken from pillows)...

any advice? also where can I get these material in Bangalore?

:cheers:

Polyfill is available in bulk from a shop behind Sivaji Theater on JC Road (in the lane parallel to JC Road). I have used felt lining and rolled felt bundles.

Thanks...are these what you suggest for damping and stuffing? BIBs have an inner baffle that would need damping...another option I have is use the dynamat style dampers used in car audio installations...where can I find felt in bangalore?

Hi Guys,

I will be adding some lining and stuffing to my sub in a few days time. Looks like the pillows are a good option:). So how many pillows are a good option. The sub is 2x2x2 in size and internal volume will be something like 5.75cuft. Do I just dump the pillow as it is or remove the polyfill and just put the poly fill.

For lining, I was considering sheep wool sheets. any ideas where can i get this. If this is not available, what are the other good options.

Also, what do guys use as a sealant inside to make sure there are no air leaks. I got a tube of silicone, but am not sure of its effectiveness as I had used it once for a sink in the kitchen and the thing started peeling off within a few months. Any other good alternatives.

Hi Guys,

I will be adding some lining and stuffing to my sub in a few days time. Looks like the pillows are a good option:). So how many pillows are a good option. The sub is 2x2x2 in size and internal volume will be something like 5.75cuft. Do I just dump the pillow as it is or remove the polyfill and just put the poly fill.

For lining, I was considering sheep wool sheets. any ideas where can i get this. If this is not available, what are the other good options.

Also, what do guys use as a sealant inside to make sure there are no air leaks. I got a tube of silicone, but am not sure of its effectiveness as I had used it once for a sink in the kitchen and the thing started peeling off within a few months. Any other good alternatives.

As regards sealing, I use Araldite. Silicon sealant does not spread evenly and does not stick on a lot of surfaces.

Hi Anil,

Since you have done lots of DIY speakers, can you kindly tell us which, among your work, sounds best:

1. the Fostex BLH
2. Philips/Fostex OB
3. Altec Onkens

I tried the Fostex design link in your Post # 1 of this thread, but that link no longer seems to work. From the picture you posted, it looks like a full ranger.

I have a few newbie questions on the Fostex BLH:
a) any idea how efficient it is? Can it be driven by a 8-12W tube amp to room-filling SPLs?
b) How deep does the LF go?
c) How difficult is the cabinet building (especially the baffles)?
d) Does it use any form of baffle step correction circuitry?
e) For the same diameter, are there better drivers than the Fostex (as claimed by folks like Audio Nirvana)?
f) does larger driver equate with deeper bass? And equally important, does that translate to a sacrifice in the HF?

Also, how does it compare to your OB build in terms of sonics? Does your OB use equalization?

Lastly, are the Altec Onkens horn type?

Sorry for too many questions:) I have recently acquired some unhealthy liking for the single driver sound and was wondering (perhaps foolishly) if I could also build one.

@others who've built single driver speakers OR contemplating it hotly (why does Keith come to mind?:lol:): please feel free to chip in with free suggestions, on what pitfalls to avoid, stern admonitions, encouragements, or warnings:)

Hi Anil,

Since you have done lots of DIY speakers, can you kindly tell us which, among your work, sounds best:

1. the Fostex BLH
2. Philips/Fostex OB
3. Altec Onkens

I tried the Fostex design link in your Post # 1 of this thread, but that link no longer seems to work. From the picture you posted, it looks like a full ranger.

I have a few newbie questions on the Fostex BLH:
a) any idea how efficient it is? Can it be driven by a 8-12W tube amp to room-filling SPLs?
b) How deep does the LF go?
c) How difficult is the cabinet building (especially the baffles)?
d) Does it use any form of baffle step correction circuitry?
e) For the same diameter, are there better drivers than the Fostex (as claimed by folks like Audio Nirvana)?
f) does larger driver equate with deeper bass? And equally important, does that translate to a sacrifice in the HF?

Also, how does it compare to your OB build in terms of sonics? Does your OB use equalization?

Lastly, are the Altec Onkens horn type?

Sorry for too many questions:) I have recently acquired some unhealthy liking for the single driver sound and was wondering (perhaps foolishly) if I could also build one.

@others who've built single driver speakers OR contemplating it hotly (why does Keith come to mind?:lol:): please feel free to chip in with free suggestions, on what pitfalls to avoid, stern admonitions, encouragements, or warnings:)

No problem. Will try and answer what I can in the time I have right now and can fill additional details later.

The three designs that I have done are distinctly different from each other in terms of sound character. I like all three of them. But for sheer musical pleasure and if I am given choice of picking only one design, I would pick the Fostex BLH. Please look at the design published by Fostex for FE206E. I have just used that design exactly. Fostex is a full range speaker. There may be other full range speakers, but Fostex is terrific value for money.

The Altec system has a Bass Onken cabinet and a Sectoral Horn for HF. The sound is very very nice and powerful. Feels like you are listening to a movie hall sound.

The Open Baffle is quite relaxed and easy and has a nice feel to the sound. Bass is weak for this and needs to be augmented with a Sub. But just the OB reflections surround you with a enveloping sound.

All three of them are high efficiency designs ranging between 97dB to 102dB/Watt. I have paired them with high quality Class A amplification based on Nelson Pass designs.

None of the above use any baffle step correction. The full range is straight to Class A amp. The other two are fed from dual Pass design amp through a active xover.

Hope this clarifies few things.

Having listened to Anil's speakers and built a few of my own, the following observations spring to my mind:

1. The BLH is outstanding value for money and a relatively easy build.

2. Onkens may require to source and rebuild the vintage drivers, if they don't come to you in good shape. There is time and money as well as expertise involved in this. Not required with new Fostex drivers.

3. Anil's Onken's sound good at high volumes-partly because his room while not a movie hall is a big one. Size of room needs to be kept in mind for this design.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back