Need info regarding entry level CD player

gudu

Need info regarding entry level CD player:

Thanks for giving suggestions regarding AMP and Speakers. Both are on the way. Will be getting it shortly.

Now comes which CD player to buy.

My friend suggest, dont go for DVD player. It got 5.1 sound. As I brought speaker and amp only to listen to music, only CD player is enough, which can play normal audio CD and MP3 CD's, which has got USB option.

Can someone suggest a CD Player which has the following:

1. Can play audio CDs.
2. Can play MP3 CDs/
3. Should have USB option.
4. Should be able to connect to graphic equalizer and/or amplifier.

Budget less than 10K.

Any brand would do.
Thanks in advance. Waiting for suggestions.

DVD players do not have 5.1 sound and neither do BD players - it is the (movie) DVDs and BDs that have 5.1 sound. Some BD movies even have 7.1 sound.

DVD and BD players are able to decode the surround sound and pass it to HT system for full surround sound. Sometimes (actually most of the times), we pass encoded digital sound (as raw bitstream) to the AV Receiver of the HT. The AV decodes and processes the surround sound (Dolby Digital DTS and its HD variants).

DVD and BD players are completely capable of reading audio CDs and in various formats such as raw WAV, mp3, flac, aac, etc. The entry level DVD/BD players may not have a good digital to analogue converter (DAC) built into it and hence may not satisfy a true audiophile. But same holds true with a cheap CD player also. The CD player will be restricted to playing compact discs only.

I suggest that you buy a BD player which is versatile. When you are more inclined and have budget and the taste for fine music, you can add a separate DAC.

Need info regarding entry level CD player:

Thanks for giving suggestions regarding AMP and Speakers. Both are on the way. Will be getting it shortly.

Now comes which CD player to buy.

My friend suggest, dont go for DVD player. It got 5.1 sound. As I brought speaker and amp only to listen to music, only CD player is enough, which can play normal audio CD and MP3 CD's, which has got USB option.

Can someone suggest a CD Player which has the following:

1. Can play audio CDs.
2. Can play MP3 CDs/
3. Should have USB option.
4. Should be able to connect to graphic equalizer and/or amplifier.

Budget less than 10K.

Any brand would do.
Thanks in advance. Waiting for suggestions.
Hi gudu,

You can consider
1) Cambridge Audio DV99 - Rs15k approx,
2) Marantz CD x004 - Price around 20k

I have heard the CA DV99 and also recommended the same for a couple of FMs and they are more than happy with their setup.

N.Murali

There are also two Cambridge Audio CD Players in the Topaz Series that you can look at.

The CD5 (only analogue outs) is about 10K, and the CD10 (analogue & digital/Coaxial outs) is about 14K. The CD5 might be a bit hard to get, but it is available with a few dealers.

Last edited:
There are also two Cambridge Audio CD Players in the Topaz Series that you can look at.

The CD5 (only analogue outs) is about 10K, and the CD10 (analogue & digital/Coaxial outs) is about 14K. The CD5 might be a bit hard to get, but it is available with a few dealers.

Please let me know where is it available for this price .

Hi gudu,

You can consider
1) Cambridge Audio DV99 - Rs15k approx,
2) Marantz CD x004 - Price around 20k

I have heard the CA DV99 and also recommended the same for a couple of FMs and they are more than happy with their setup.

N.Murali

CA DV99 seems discontinued few years back.

There was a top notch DVD player from pioneer DV 610 . In Mumbai meet 2 years back tried it as CD player and it proved to be very good cd player.

http://www.hifivision.com/general-lounge/9868-mumbai-meet-held-9th-may-2010-a.html

Has HDMI < optical and Co axial .
can play DVD , CD , MP3 CD , MP3 USB , SACD , DVD - A VCD
I think for SACD and DVD A it give 5.1 output

Check net you will fond a lot of good revies

Can sell for Rs 5500 + Shipping

See if anyone interested.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back