Need Projector screen

A 16:9 screen looks much better then a 4:3 and moreover there is no need to buy a outdated screen.

V.

Thanks friends for your advice. I will stick to 16:9 screen.

My room width is 119 inches and if i leave 12 inches for the front speakers i get around 95 inches for the screen width.

In this i can effectively go for 106" screen size with 52 inch height and 92 inch width.

but in the optoma website i see only 92 inches 16:9 manual screen available
::: Welcome to Optoma Asia :::

Do they have 106 inches 16:9 manual pull down screen ? i see motorized screen is available in the above specifications. Any idea on its price?

Thanks,
Senthil.

I came to see this thread a litttle late. It was me who offered him the Draper Inc. screen (http://www.draperinc.com/Projection...ts.asp?detail=412&screen=Luma_with_AutoReturn). Its is indeed a 106" 16:9. As anm and rajdeep had mentioned, a 4:3 can be easily converted to a 16:9 by opening just the required height of 16:9, which I had told him before. The quality of the screen is far far better than any of these grandview / optoma screens, not even comparable. I was not planning to sell it (as I had used it only twice, my HT construction is very slow, started a new thread on construction pics), but on a sudden bite of a 120" screen bug made me to think of selling it at the same price which I got it (almost 50% of the original cost due to a miscalculation from the shipper from US, ~18K was the actual cost)

Its great to see the knowledge of the "so-called gurus" on screens and screen formats and this is a classical example of a member being misguided by the gurus since they dont have any idea on the topic which they are giving an advice. A 115" 4:3 screen size is 69" x 92" (8ft) and if it is open 17" less, it will be a 106" 16:9 screen (52" x 92"). So my humble advice to those gurus is that in future please try to advice people on topics which they are sure about or knows about, as the OP will be a novice on the topic and he is asking for a help, dont misguide them.

Sorry... just wanted to highlight an example of a member being misguided and dont think that i wrote this since this deal didnt happen. Even I started thinking twice on my decision once I came out of the 120" dream that a 120" screen will be an overkill at my viewing distance and I have to spend almost double (18-20K) even for a normal chinese screen:).

Last edited:
@cmsajith
I apologize if my posts offended you in any way. I am no "guru", I just comment based on my limited common sense. So, my advise may or may not be right all the time.
While its possible to have workarounds to use 4:3 screens as 16:9 (or any ratio by opening it less or more), I still believe that if one is buying a screen today, one should go for 16:9. Screen is not something that one changes every 1-2 year, so why compromise with workarounds? This is my opinion and others may not think this way; I am perfectly OK with that.

@prakasse
In the end, its your call. You need to weigh all considerations and come up with a decision which suits you and you only.

I just tried to point out the way a member being misguided, nothing else, sorry if it hurt you. I would always prefer the biggest possible screen with the most general format (only for pull down sreens), unless, you will be limited to 1/2 size of the screen for watching a 4:3 movie. Its the same case if you go for a 16:9 screen, almost all the movies are in 2.35:1 format and you are loosing the top n bottom area. Arent you doing a workaround by ignoring the top and bottom blank area?

For my 115" screen, I am getting 115" for 4:3, 106" for 16:9 and 100" for 2.35:1. If I am using all the 3 formats and dont want to change the projector position or zoom, I have to use mask, else I will fix the projector in 16:9 mode and pull out only 52 inches which is required for 16:9.

Can somebody highlight me on the difference in the looks of a 4:3 screen used in 16:9 format and a pure 16:9 screen?... really funny..:lol:

Also, I would always prefer 2.35:1 screen for a fixed screen with max size to accomodate the max possible size for a 4:3 movie (with the help of a mask.)

@prakasse, sorry for OT discussion.

Last edited:
for a not-fixed screen, you will have to use side masks if you go for wide format, and top/ bottom masks if you buy less wide format.
Bottom mask is not needed as you can open the screen less, given that your wall is black enough. How to create a top mask for a motorized screen? Should we add a second motor to bring down the mask? I am thinking of buying 16:9 as it is a midway compromise. Plus it seems difficult to buy wide format screens.

Can anyone recommend where to buy good projector screens in Mumbai ? Also, which make/model to look out for ? I need a 100 x 56 (16:9 roughly) screen. tx.

I think in general no one will call himself a guru and never will one misguide anyone because of zero benefit, the only thing which happens is that whatever knowledge one has is shared among the members so that others can add their view.

In my case every now and then i get private messages asking for an opinion especially about home theater's, i always say one thing that open a thread so that others can also add their input after all we could be wrong etc with the advice offered via private messages.

V.

Last edited:
In my case i am having screens in both formats and i find the looks/appearance much better of 16:9.

V.

Can somebody highlight me on the difference in the looks of a 4:3 screen used in 16:9 format and a pure 16:9 screen?... really funny..:lol:

Last edited:
In my case i am having screens in both formats and i find the looks/appearance much better of 16:9.

V.

Can you tell me in which way its better?

Any screen is supposed to look similiar except the screen viewing area based on the format. Can you tell me in which way did you find the difference between a 4:3 screen opened up for a 16:9 viewing area vs a 16:9 screen?

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back