Need some comparision two home theater configurations

ravithej

Hi,

I am planning to get home theater.

My room size is 22ft(length) and width 14ft.
I want to use it 95% for movies and watching tv shows. very very less music
We went to a local dealer in May 2015 and he suggested us to go with below configuration:

Here is the itemized bill:
liberty projector screen 120'' curved- 74000
polk psw sub - 34000
polk tsx 550-62000 (2)
polk tsx 250-20000 (1)
polk tsx 220b -28000 ( 2pairs)
pioneer 7.1 receiver- 58000
cables-10000
installation-6000
ups-7500
total-2,99,500 ( gave 20k discount and made it 2,80,000)
Due to some construction delays we postponed home theater. We want to start it now. We went to same local dealer and he told that above configuration is outdated and suggested us to go with below configuration:

1. Denon 1200 available receiver 7.1 with Bluetooth wi fi ... 49,900
2. JBL STUDIO 7.1 speaker package with four surrounds .... 1,53,000
3. Grand view curved concave screen 120 inch diagonal ... 80,000
4. Hdmi, speaker, video cables ........ 10,000
5. APP 1 KV UPS for projector ........ 7,500
6. Transportation and installation ........ 6,000
-------- TOTAL 3,06,400
LESS DISCOUNT 20,400
-----------------
PAYABLE AMOUNT 2,86,000

Now my questions are

1) Which configuration do you think is better?
2) What do you think about the price? Is the quote correct or Should I bargain

Any individual itemized improvements are welcome..

@ravithej

In option 1 the AVR may be dated. The speakers are not. Polk is still good for HT.
Cables - 10K and installation - 6K seems a bit high.
You are giving him business, vendor should at least absorb transportation and installation cost.

Opinions on components like AVR/projector/JBLs, other FMs can chime in.

If you can locate an FM in your city who has gone through this process, he/she will be an invaluable resource.

Cheers,
Raghu

For 95% movie, both the speakers (Fllor standers) are overkill...If i were an dealer / installer, would suggest you to consider high end satellite speakers, 2 subwoofers, a high end AVR... Not the entry level ones..

I will pick the AVR & speakers alone from your list... Sound is what makes your Home theatre.. Your combined budget for AVR + speakers is roughly 2 Lakhs..

My choices for AVR would be Marantz SR 6010 (or) Denon X4000 series for approx 80 - 90K as they have Audyssey Multi EQ XT32, a very important feature for an AVR today...

Since you like movies more than music, i would suggest only satellite speakers along with 1 sub-woofer if not 2..... There are plenty of brands to choose satellite speakers...

Don't get deceived by the looks of Floorstanders...

For 95% movie, both the speakers (Fllor standers) are overkill...If i were an dealer / installer, would suggest you to consider high end satellite speakers, 2 subwoofers, a high end AVR... Not the entry level ones..

I will pick the AVR & speakers alone from your list... Sound is what makes your Home theatre.. Your combined budget for AVR + speakers is roughly 2 Lakhs..

My choices for AVR would be Marantz SR 6010 (or) Denon X4000 series for approx 80 - 90K as they have Audyssey Multi EQ XT32, a very important feature for an AVR today...

Since you like movies more than music, i would suggest only satellite speakers along with 1 sub-woofer if not 2..... There are plenty of brands to choose satellite speakers...

Don't get deceived by the looks of Floorstanders...
In my opinion, Denon X1200 is enough for your room size. Its having latest Dolby Atmos & DTD X. I got it for Rs 43500/_ Polk speakers are good for movies . I have Polk TSX440 .recently bought. Fully satisfied. [emoji106]

For the budget that you got, I suggest you research and audition as much as you can. For the configurations that you have mentioned, the quote seems to be higher, you can get the same stuff for even cheaper one by one. Its quite adventurous journey for sure.
Dali Zensor 3 or 5 seems to be in the talks in one or the other thread, worth a check.
Use this forum to the full extent, there are some excellent guys who can suggest and guide you set up an HT.
All the best.
Take time, audition and then decide

A 300 sqft room is fairly large in my opinion, would satellites do justice to the same. On one hand, the suggestion was to spend on speakers and then on satellites which dont make sense. Bookshelves, maybe yes, but satellites would be difficult.

I am a bit curious on the choice of the curved screen. Who will be building the frame, I believe the curved ones are slightly difficult to manage.

Also, which projector are you planning, whats the budget for the same?

Is this room a dedicated one, or a living room? If its the former do keep budget for the acoustics.

A 300 sqft room is fairly large in my opinion, would satellites do justice to the same. On one hand, the suggestion was to spend on speakers and then on satellites which dont make sense. Bookshelves, maybe yes, but satellites would be difficult.

I am a bit curious on the choice of the curved screen. Who will be building the frame, I believe the curved ones are slightly difficult to manage.

Also, which projector are you planning, whats the budget for the same?

Is this room a dedicated one, or a living room? If its the former do keep budget for the acoustics.

@sud

I am not sure what you meant by who will build frame for cuved screen. It should all be a single piece right?
It is a dedicated room.
Projector is LG PA75U. I bought it sepeartely last year. I willplans to upgrade projector in future.

Amazon.com: LG Electronics PA75U Slim LED Projector with WXGA Resolution WiDi and Smart TV (2013 Model): Electronics

@sud

I am not sure what you meant by who will build frame for cuved screen. It should all be a single piece right?
It is a dedicated room.
Projector is LG PA75U. I bought it sepeartely last year. I willplans to upgrade projector in future.

Amazon.com: LG Electronics PA75U Slim LED Projector with WXGA Resolution WiDi and Smart TV (2013 Model): Electronics

Screens are generally much cheaper, but I guess you are getting a fully built unit like this one :: AV-Vision : Products ::
For a curved screen, it makes sense to get it as a unit but you are paying a huge premium for the same.

For example, projector screens would be 20-25k if you built the screen yourself. (Practically even lesser). However, curved screens its better to buy the way you have.

Your projector, is a TV watching projector and not one for watching movies, so do consider a proper one.

My suggestion, dont buy the curved screen, get tht fixed screen and upgrade to a really good projector.

@ravithej

After a second look at the pricing (based on Polk speakers), you can definitely do better.
The cost of speakers are all MRP and then an overall discount of 8%. Many FMs have got double digit discounts on Polk speakers alone.

If you go about it, on your own (with a little help from FMs), the cost of AVR+speakers can definitely be lower. With the savings, you may be able to do some room treatment, assuming it is a dedicated HT room.

Cheers,
Raghu

Hi,

I am planning to get home theater.

My room size is 22ft(length) and width 14ft.

liberty projector screen 120'' curved- 74000

Your screen wall is quite wide to project a bigger image... reason to chose a 120" (is it AT or regular)
and if you are not going anamorphic why a curved screen?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back