Need some input with 7.1 home theater system setup

ravithej

Hello All,

I am planning to get a 7.1 home theater setup.:yahoo:
My room size is 22ft(length) and width 14ft.
I want to use it 95% for movies and watching tv shows. very very less music
I went to a home theater system dealer and he suggested us to go with below setup.

1) projector screen- liberty g.v -120'' curved screem
2) Receiver- pioneer 7.1 avr
3) PSW 550 sub woofer
4) 7 speakers - polk tsx 550 2 speakers
polk tsx 250 (center channel speakers)
polk tsx 220b (4 speakers)

Quote he gave for above setup is 3 lakhs. I can put itemized quote if any one is interested. Do you guys think quote is kind of accurate?

1) As there are many experts in this forum:clapping: I want to see if above set up is really good. If not what are your suggestions.

2) I have relative in USA. I have an option to get receiver or speakers or both from US. Is it worth getting them from USA?
a) price wise
b) will there be any compatibility issues

3) If buying in US is good then any specific model/suggestions ( bose?)

Thanks

Last edited:
Even I was trying to get from US.. But warranty issue will come for sure.. Then compatibility of connector.. Power. There its 110 and we need 220.. Again. Not sure of customs. Some time they can charge.. .. This is what I have got for the same query..

My take: (assuming you have the budget)
1) projector screen- liberty g.v -120'' curved screen: Dont Know > I use HDTVS so cant give an opinion.
2) Receiver- pioneer 7.1 avr : since your room is more than 2000 cubic feet volume, u need a real Muscle AVR. look for the The higher end AVRs of Pioneer, Denon, Onkyo etc.
3) PSW 550 sub woofer : recommended by many in this forum: I have the Polk DSW PRO 660i which is reputedly better
4) 7 speakers - polk tsx 550 2 speakers: Good Choice but I hear the RTiA9 series is better but costlier
polk tsx 250 (center channel speakers): Good Center: I have it but look for the equivalent in the RTi series
polk tsx 220b (4 speakers): I have two of these. Good Book Shelves Speakers. But Worthwhile to look at the equivalent RTi series.

of course all of these will jack up the Price.

Above all demo.
The US option has 2 disadvantages: 1) Warranty issues 2) 110 Volts vs 220 Volts in India. Plus Duty of 38% at Customs

Cheers

Last edited:
1) projector screen- liberty g.v -120'' curved screen

Gud decision getting opinions in this forum. i am sure it will help.

Why curved? dont go curved i would say. i dont know the science of it but i feel that Home Projectors unless really really high end, are not made for projecting on the curved part of these screens. i will blurr relatively the curved part because they are built to project flat image on flat screen and any couple of inches curve towards you will impact the focus of the lens on that portion.

I have 120 inch VEGA motorized and my hall is 18 ft by 10 feet. Its really really IMAX like till the center of the hall and only feels the perfect average size from the extreme back end (never small). Depending on where u r gonna sit, if at 19--22 ft., I somehow feel you can go upto 140 as well.

Which proj you have btw ?

Here is the itemized bill:
liberty projector screen 120'' curved- 74000
polk psw sub - 34000
polk tsx 550-62000 (2)
polk tsx 250-20000 (1)
polk tsx 220b -28000 ( 2pairs)
pioneer 7.1 receiver- 58000
cables-10000
installation-6000
ups-7500
total-2,99,500

since ur usage is movies ,I would suggest to go with onkyo or denon or Yamaha or pioneer . U r investing huge amount so make provision for dolby atmos speaker layout (7.1.4 or r 7.1.2 or 5.1.4 depending upon room layout)& dts x which may be future proof planning to enjoy the 3 dimensional surround system.
Check with AVR which is having Dolby Atmos & DTS X decoders(dts x will be available later this year for a free firmware upgrade is selected models).
Polk speakers are good for movies ,however audition it with different AVR and decide.

I am thinking of getting the curved screen so that when I upgrade projector in future I don't have to upgrade screen. But I will also look for other experts opinion.

Do you know if liberty is popular brand. Or is there some popular brand when coming to projector screens?

:signthankspin:

Last edited:
since ur usage is movies ,I would suggest to go with onkyo or denon or Yamaha or pioneer . U r investing huge amount so make provision for dolby atmos speaker layout (7.1.4 or r 7.1.2 or 5.1.4 depending upon room layout)& dts x which may be future proof planning to enjoy the 3 dimensional surround system.
Check with AVR which is having Dolby Atmos & DTS X decoders(dts x will be available later this year for a free firmware upgrade is selected models).
Polk speakers are good for movies ,however audition it with different AVR and decide.

Any particular receivers that your think are good with polk speakers

I am thinking of getting the curved screen so that when I upgrade projector in future I don't have to upgrade screen. But I will also look for other experts opinion.

Do you know if liberty is popular brand. Or is there some popular brand when coming to projector screens?

:signthankspin:

In that case go ahead. Guess you can easily do with blurr if any at the corners.

yes liberty is popular but sorry not much idea. I just went with cheapest whatever was available. For me having screen itself was big deal and its for rented place so i didnt think too much.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back