Need some insights in Sonodyne speakers

arima007

Hey guys am planing to set up Home theater . when i went to the dealer he said that Sonodyne speakers and Velodyne Sub woofers are bang for the bucks. My question is that How well are they as compared to Wharfedale and Q acoustics ? The suggested Floorstanding- Sonus 2504V3.Centre-c2501 v3. surround-r-ears v3 . subwoofer velodyne-impact 10

Hi

Many of our members use Sonodyne and yes they are good speakers...I attended the What Hi Fi Show in Mumbai last year and this year.....impressive performance and demo from them...

Velodyne has been in the subwoofer industry for 30 years +

All you need to do is audition various brands with your kind of music and shortlist which appeals to you in performance, appearance, connectivity & features and lastly budget.

If budget is tight....see the For Sale by Owner section of Hi Fi Ads...most forum members sell their pre owned systems at reasonable rates...

All the best

Last edited by a moderator:
i can spend upto 1L for the speakers alone. What about the performance of 2000 series Q acoustics system which is priced at 90K+ and Wharfedale 200 series speakers?

Sonodyne speakers were considered to be VFM. Not sure it still holds good. Hope sonodyne users will throw more details on sonus series.

Wharfedales are warm sounding speakers and musical.
Worth for the money
By the way none of these are 'useless' as they are in the industry for long and many FMs are using and enjoying quality audio.

From personal experience, Q Acoustics and Wharfedale missed quite a few notes during auditions. Sonodyne 2605/2504 are somewhat decent but somehow just could not deliver the clarity required to push me towards them.
However, your taste and preferences may not align with mine. If your budget is 1 lakh/ pair for FS, you can get better speakers than the above. Some reasonable choices from my audition included jamo c97, PSB X2T, DaliZensor 7.

Sonodyne is very poor in terms of ASS. I bought four active speakers for pro audio use, spending nearly 90K and their ASS is worse than pathetic. If anyone from Sonodyne is reading this please PM me, I don't want to spoil your name on this forum with my litany of trouble.

Sound Cycle-you don't want to get me started on what they promised and what they delivered-I could take them to court, essentially four of their drivers failed and they conveniently blamed it on - wait for it-this one is a new one to me-"Rats"! The speakers are mounted at a height of about 10 feet from the ground on steel pillars, there's no way rats can get to them. Anyway, I'm struggling trying to get hold of their people who don't respond to phone calls. Did you say "Outrageous Lie"? Well what they are selling is certainly not upto the mark. Buy at your peril!

Last edited by a moderator:
But the salesman told me that, Audessey correction would improve the speaker performance :sad::indifferent14:

Hi

Audyssey setup if done optimally sets up speakers, its levels etcs...all this again depends on what is the configuration of the room etc....when we go for auditions, the demo room is a special room with no furniture and other obstacles and hence Audyssey setup works well.

When we do this at home, even after running the setup more than 3-6 times..it does not come right and then you need to manually tweak levels and other settings to your satisfaction.....

You can read this link which has further information on dos and donts...

Home theater automatic speaker calibration dos and don'ts - CNET

Do not bother about Sonodyne Sonus 2605s. This is from some one who bought those speakers and did not like their sound at all. If you want budget speakers that sound clean and flat without the hype that goes with "audiophile" speakers, you can try Alesis Elevate-6 Passive Monitors, being sold by Bajaao at about Rs.7,000/- (Yes, Rupees Seven Thousand Only!) per speaker. Buy two of them, get stands made by a local carpenter, and you are good to go.

Just for information.....I purchased a Sonodyne Sub 10 inch...100 rms way back in probably cant say must be 15 to 17 years back when the first Sonodyne sub was released. I have attached it now for the TV. The sound has punch and smoothness and guess...its still working perfectly.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back