Need some Player or External HDD to connect to TV

andy78

I recently purchased a Samsung 46" TV and looking to watch movies on this. I have couple of pen drives but it's very cumbersome every time to copy a video onto the pen drive and then play it over the TV. Also it takes more than 30 mins to copy an 8 GB file. Do we have any External HDD available in the market with an HDMI port so that I can copy the videos,clips directly on to the HDD and play it. I was also thinking about connecting the TV to the router and maybe playing the content of my Desktop PC however since my PC doesn't have an HDMI outlet so I can't view HD content.

Any suggestions?

Do we have any External HDD available in the market with an HDMI port so that I can copy the videos,clips directly on to the HDD and play it. I was also thinking about connecting the TV to the router and maybe playing the content of my Desktop PC however since my PC doesn't have an HDMI outlet so I can't view HD content.

The animal that solves all you problems is called a media player. There are about 300 brands available but popular ones are Dune, Xtreamer, TViX, PCH, etc.

Cheers

Last edited:
It depends upon the model. Some do, some don't. Invariably they all have an USB connector for you to connect to an external drive IF you want. Look up the specs of some of the brands I mentioned and choose the model you want. Some of these can be linked to a LAN you set up, and they can access files from anywhere within the LAN. You can, of course, set up a NAS and have all your files centrally located. These media players have quite a lot of capabilities. Most important, they can play any kind of audio or video format. The modern ones all have HDMI out for you to connect to an AVR or a TV.

Cheers

Just got my himedia hd200a directly from focalgadgets.com for 45$. Put a laptop hdd inside it with all kinds of files. Connected using hdmi. My father is having a time of his life with all his movies and music at the click of miniature remote. Simple.

And yes, has usb 3 for fast transfer. Does not need adapter while connecting to pc. Works lile a portable hdd.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Do we have any External HDD available in the market with an HDMI port so that I can copy the videos,clips directly on to the HDD and play it.

What you need is a HD media player. these are available from as low as Rs. 2.5K. Usually there are two types one that supports only external HDDs and the other where you can install HDD inside the player. There are many brands like Asus, Western Digital, Himedia, Kaiboer, Measy etc.

hd media player | eBay

It depends upon the model. Some do, some don't. Invariably they all have an USB connector for you to connect to an external drive IF you want. Look up the specs of some of the brands I mentioned and choose the model you want. Some of these can be linked to a LAN you set up, and they can access files from anywhere within the LAN. You can, of course, set up a NAS and have all your files centrally located. These media players have quite a lot of capabilities. Most important, they can play any kind of audio or video format. The modern ones all have HDMI out for you to connect to an AVR or a TV.

Cheers
Thanks for your suggestions!
Just got my himedia hd200a directly from focalgadgets.com for 45$. Put a laptop hdd inside it with all kinds of files. Connected using hdmi. My father is having a time of his life with all his movies and music at the click of miniature remote. Simple.

And yes, has usb 3 for fast transfer. Does not need adapter while connecting to pc. Works lile a portable hdd.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Tapatalk 2
Can I have the link for the hd media player you bought?
What you need is a HD media player. these are available from as low as Rs. 2.5K. Usually there are two types one that supports only external HDDs and the other where you can install HDD inside the player. There are many brands like Asus, Western Digital, Himedia, Kaiboer, Measy etc.

hd media player | eBay

I think I may need something that will let me have an internal HDD being kept inside option.

I also wanted to know the answer for the following query.
If I connect HDD directly to the TV Vs connect the laptop with HDMI cable.
Which among this is better quality wise?
Please let me know about the above query!

If I connect HDD directly to the TV Vs connect the laptop with HDMI cable.

Are you talking about a TV that can play AVI files from an USB? In that case, unless you laptop has video scaling capabilities, both methods will deliver the same result. The HDMI will only make a difference if you are playing HD Video.

Cheers

Are you talking about a TV that can play AVI files from an USB? In that case, unless you laptop has video scaling capabilities, both methods will deliver the same result. The HDMI will only make a difference if you are playing HD Video.

Cheers

Yes I'm talking about TV that can play the Supported formats.

Andy I guess your TV should be capable of playing most of the video file from external HDD. Even you can play full hd video files from ur hdd.

/Alok

I recently purchased a Samsung 46" TV and looking to watch movies on this. I have couple of pen drives but it's very cumbersome every time to copy a video onto the pen drive and then play it over the TV. Also it takes more than 30 mins to copy an 8 GB file. Do we have any External HDD available in the market with an HDMI port so that I can copy the videos,clips directly on to the HDD and play it. I was also thinking about connecting the TV to the router and maybe playing the content of my Desktop PC however since my PC doesn't have an HDMI outlet so I can't view HD content.

Any suggestions?

Hi,
Check this if it suits you..
http://www.hifivision.com/sale-owner/25433-noontec-v8-media-player-1tb.html

I currently have only internal HDD so looking for some kind of casing.

You will able to use casing for single Hard disk. rather than go for open connector which allow you to connect multiple HDD. also same open connector will work for old type IDE as well as sata HDD

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back