Need speakers suggestion for my new SONY STR-DH770 7.2 Channel AV Receiver

ROSHAN PASWAN

Hello friends, I am new to this forum. And yesterday I have got my new SONY STR-DH770 7.2 Channel AV Receiver shipped in from USA. I have ordered an step down transformer from Maxine. Now I am planning to buy Yamaha Ns-P40 5.1 Channel speaker Package. But to complete 7.1 channel set up I need one more pair of bookshelf speakers. Since my budget is tight I need a cheap one with 6 ohm impedance ( 6 ohm impedance resembles to Yamaha Ns-P40). I am from Kolkata.

Around 25k to 30k, from where approx 21.5k would be going to the cost of yamaha ns-ps40 5.1 package. So now I want a pair of satellite or bookshelf 6 ohm speakers within 8k to complete the 7.1 configuration. Although I have not ordered yamaha set yet, if any other 7.1 package available within 30k then I can go for that.

Around 25k to 30k, from where approx 21.5k would be going to the cost of yamaha ns-ps40 5.1 package. So now I want a pair of satellite or bookshelf 6 ohm speakers within 8k to complete the 7.1 configuration. Although I have not ordered yamaha set yet, if any other 7.1 package available within 30k then I can go for that.

Hey Hi,

Congratulations on the receiver. Would be nice to hear its reviews as there are very few Sony receivers in India. Have you heard the Yamaha speakers? Which other speakers did you audition? Try to carry your receiver to audition the speakers. Also, I would suggest that when on a tight budget, build your system in phases rather than go all in with a 7.1 setup. For a first timer it takes time to understand the setup and fine tune it to your liking, hence building slowly is preferred and would also be cheaper(changing a pair of speakers is easier and cheaper than a whole 7.1) in-case the speakers don't like the receiver or you don't like their relationship.

MaSh

Last edited:
Thank Mash for the advice, I have read the reviews of yamaha ns-ps40 5.1 speakers, it's small but with clear and punchy sound having good lows-highs & metallic sound.
But I didn't understand one thing that how to audition the speakers? Bcoz no shopkeeper would give their speakers for testing to analyze the relationship between receiver and the speakers.

Hi...

My suggestion is to go with a pair of bookshelf first (10k to 20k range)...if you like bassy then you can add sub. first before center channel....at last go with your surrounds.....there is a lot of difference between a small punch speakers and a full range bookshelf (or if no space constraint floor-standers)...

Hello friends, I am new to this forum. And yesterday I have got my new SONY STR-DH770 7.2 Channel AV Receiver shipped in from USA. I have ordered an step down transformer from Maxine. Now I am planning to buy Yamaha Ns-P40 5.1 Channel speaker Package. But to complete 7.1 channel set up I need one more pair of bookshelf speakers. Since my budget is tight I need a cheap one with 6 ohm impedance ( 6 ohm impedance resembles to Yamaha Ns-P40). I am from Kolkata.

Hi

Welcome to HFV

You can look at Boston Acoustics, Taga which will pair well with the Sony AVR....Hifimart.com has some decent bookshelves which may fit your budget...you can also check other options on HTstore, Sayhifi.com Proaudiohome.com and other such websites....

If budget is really tight, see the For Sale by owner section or Hifiads.com you may just get something better at a good rate..pre owned

Skip the Yamaha NSP40 speaker package & the audition too if possible.. They are HTIB speakers & subwoofers sold separately.. Though the subwoofer is powered one, it is only 6 1/2 inch with hardly any power to impress you..

Best to build the set-up progressively..

Consider this 12 inch sub from Taga on ebay.in - https://www.ebay.in/itm/Taga-Harmon...249418?hash=item41d35221ca:g:6isAAOSwyP5Z-0yO

A pair of bookshelf Taga 806 - https://www.ebay.in/itm/Taga-Harmon...897066?hash=item41d33d7f2a:g:eOYAAOSw241YiYKo

Slightly over your budget by 2 - 3K, but a worthy 2.1 set-up.. As & when you have budget, you can start adding them..

Thanks elangoas efernand1 & daljit, I also thought about it first but became crazy to check my 7.1 system that's why I thought to go all 7.1 package in one go, but it won't be a wise decision. So now I m thinking to move ahead slowly to build my strong 7.1 system.
Let me check the other options in the provided link by you people. Future suggestions is required & will be appreciated....

If I am in your position, I will never go for NSP40 kind of speaker packages.
Secondly I will not think of building a 7.1 system overnight. (there is a good chance you may regret soon.... )
With whatever budget I have, I will get a good pair of Front left and Front right. And a center channel if possible.
(this is learnt as a lesson after taking some hurry decisions, and guidance from seniors like elangoas, Mash, efernand, drkrack etc)

If Budget is an issue, I will go for taga5.0 anytime instead of NSP40.
And i will think of sub (only if i feel the need after listening to taga floor standers at least for a few months) and additional 2 channels later.
Do not hurry.

Thanks elangoas efernand1 & daljit, I also thought about it first but became crazy to check my 7.1 system that's why I thought to go all 7.1 package in one go, but it won't be a wise decision. So now I m thinking to move ahead slowly to build my strong 7.1 system.
Let me check the other options in the provided link by you people. Future suggestions is required & will be appreciated....

Good, now that you are open to other options, I would suggest you take a look at Elac B5, Dali Zensor 1, Polk Rti A1 book shelves to start with along with a Sub woofer right away or after a month or so to reach the first stage with a 2.1 Setup. Once you are done with this, you have an option to move the above mentioned speakers to the rear as rear surrounds and get their bigger brother for the front or get the same pair for the fronts too. Add a matching center speaker and you have your first milestone, a 5.1 setup. By this stage you should have a good idea of which direction to head to, to complete your entire setup.

All the best
MaSh

Thanks to all of you, Now I am planing to go with a pair of TAGA Harmony TAV-806S or Boston Acoustics A 23 Book shelf speakers along with any one of these sub woofers (Boston Acoustics CS sub10 II or Taga harmony tsw 90 v.3/active ). What do you people suggest ?
Yes that would be a good choice of components. I have not used any of them so cannot say much, however, other members have said good things.
MaSh

Just first off will check my avr with TV first that whether the AVR is turning on or not by seeing its visible menu on TV screen. That's all....

Mash, Lets see if any other memeber can put their openion

Boston A23 are good speakers....you should give it a try...also the sub is nice...decent......you can use the setup for sometime...till you get bitten by the upgrade bug and sell it off...then you can try other brands....I keep changing my speakers every 3 years so that I can flavour most of them

Boston A23 are good speakers....you should give it a try...also the sub is nice...decent......you can use the setup for sometime...till you get bitten by the upgrade bug and sell it off...then you can try other brands....I keep changing my speakers every 3 years so that I can flavour most of them
Have u tried Boston A23 ever or listened it anywhere? And 1 more thing that Can I mix a pair of 6 ohm speakers(surround) with a pair of 8ohm speakers ( back surround)? Would this mixture affect my receiver

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back