Need Stereo amplifier for Mission QX-2

sam_007

Hello,

Need a matching stereo amplifier for speaker mission QX-2.Budget is around 25K.
Source: steaming + DAC (Later will add a DVP)

Details of QX-2:
Sensitivity (2.0V@1m) 88db
Recommended Amplifier Power 25-120W
Nominal Impedence 8Ω Compatible

Few searched amp:
1. Marantz pm 5005 (2x 40W / 8 Ω rms)
2. Denon PMA-520AE(70 W x 2 ch (4 ohms))
3. CA AX-A25(25 Watts (into 8 Ohms))

Need suggestions on any one from above or others or used one?

As well need suggestions for speaker cable(Bugdet around 1K to 2K), will "DAC SPK14 AWG" fits for this setup or any other?

You can also consider a Combo of Budget DAC+Norge Amp. If streaming is your primary source and need a one box solution, Yamaha 303/602 would be an excellent choice.
Thanks @Yogesh , I have already a schiit DAC, looking for a pure stereo amp. Not sure how norge will match with QX 2?

I was looking at some cheap amps sometime back and shortlisted a few. Mind you I do not know the sound signature of QX2, so do not know a perfect match.

1- Denon PMA series
2 -Pioneer A10E/ A40AE
3 - Yamaha Audio Stereo Reciever
4 - marantz Pm5005

Hello FMs,
Need suggestions here.

If PM6006 can drive QX 2 then can PM 5005 as well? but not sure.
(PM 6006 and 5005 has similar RMS power of 55 W x 2 (4 Ω/ohms load))
denon pma 520ae, I think has the power to drive but not sure if it properly matches with QX2(should not be bright + bright).
Any other amp within 30K that can match with QX2?

Regards
Samir

Seeign the specs of these speakers, in my opinion you should get an amp which has a minimum of 70w at 8 ohms and can go down to 4ohm loads.

MaSh

Seeign the specs of these speakers, in my opinion you should get an amp which has a minimum of 70w at 8 ohms and can go down to 4ohm loads.

MaSh
Very weak with these technical terms(ohms).
What I understand, as per you even PM6006 (40 W x 2 (8 Ω/ohms load)) will not be able to drive it properly or my understanding is incorrect?
Are you also considering the 2 channels when referring to watts?

Yes that is what I feel. The speaker is resistance is 8 ohms nominal with a max resistance at 3.6ohms. Any speaker going that low will demand a lot of power from the amp. Not every amp is comfortable going that low. Now that said, it does not mean the said amp cannot drive the speaker, it will be able to driver, however, the bass impact may not be at par to what the speaker might produce with a more powerful amplifier.

Try auditioning the speaker with different amps. That would make the difference very clear to you. All the amps listed by you are very good, however, we need the whole system to be good and thats possible when all components are in good harmony with each other.

MaSh

BTW - just putting it out there - the WhatHiFi review of Mission QX2 - where they gave the speaker sparkling reviews their 2018 award also - this is what they say -
"However, the natural amplification partners for these Missions are likely to be something from Marantz’s PM6006UK (£330) up to the Rega Brio (£600), with sources to match."

Since you already have a DAC, probably you could consider the Crown 1502 professional power amp which retails for less than 25,000 in Amazon

Since you already have a DAC, probably you could consider the Crown 1502 professional power amp which retails for less than 25,000 in Amazon
Yes this is a good suggestion as I have a good DAC, but I have few doubts:
Can we directly put the DAC output to a power amp?

I can see the crown 1502 has lots of power than needed here. So, power is not an issue but does it can produce the stereo quality sound?

I can see the crown 1502 has lots of power than needed here. So, power is not an issue but does it can produce the stereo quality sound?
yes it can. its a matter of taste. but if it were me, i'd stick with the PM6006 or other mainstream amplifiers. The crown is a second good outing if you want to experience class D sound. However, to my ears, the PM6006 definitely sounds better - its fuller, meatier and more rounded. On the other hand, the Crown XLS 1502 can get really loud without breaking a sweat whereas i have managed to trip the PM6006 on a couple of occasions during summers when the airconditioning was not switched on - this was at ear deafening volumes.

BTW - just putting it out there - the WhatHiFi review of Mission QX2 - where they gave the speaker sparkling reviews their 2018 award also - this is what they say -
"However, the natural amplification partners for these Missions are likely to be something from Marantz’s PM6006UK (£330) up to the Rega Brio (£600), with sources to match."
Thanks.. this info is helpful

yes it can. its a matter of taste. but if it were me, i'd stick with the PM6006 or other mainstream amplifiers. The crown is a second good outing if you want to experience class D sound. However, to my ears, the PM6006 definitely sounds better - its fuller, meatier and more rounded. On the other hand, the Crown XLS 1502 can get really loud without breaking a sweat whereas i have managed to trip the PM6006 on a couple of occasions during summers when the airconditioning was not switched on - this was at ear deafening volumes.
Since already I have a DAC, is it wise to invest in amp with a DAC?
If not PM6006, any other mainstream amplifier(without a DAC) that I can look for for this price range(30K)?

Since already I have a DAC, is it wise to invest in amp with a DAC?
If not PM6006, any other mainstream amplifier(without a DAC) that I can look for for this price range(30K)?
As i said, i'm not aware of any other competitive amp at this price range. Maybe other forum members can help. However, to put things into perspective, to my ears = Chord Mojo+PM6006>Chord Mojo+SR6013>Chord Mojo+Crown XLS1502>Chord Mojo+Marantz NR1509 (My experience of the Marantz NR1509 may not be an entirely objective assessment since i heard them with a different set of speakers - Mission QX2 as opposed to my own speakers). The Chord Mojo and my stereo interconnects - Audioquest Goldengate, and USB chord - Audioquest Pearl are a constant cuz they're portable.

Yes, you can plug in a DAC directly into a power amp. Let me test it with just my DAC without the the pre to see if it will perform fine with 2 Vrms output of the DAC and get back.

The Crowns work their best when the are fed sufficient Input voltage. I have heard them sound weak when connected to my Marantz 7010 receiver but sounding wonderful in my DAC - tube pre chain. In fact, I prefer the sound of the Crowns to the sound of the Marantz 7010 in pure direct.

As i said, i'm not aware of any other competitive amp at this price range. Maybe other forum members can help. However, to put things into perspective, to my ears = Chord Mojo+PM6006>Chord Mojo+SR6013>Chord Mojo+Crown XLS1502>Chord Mojo+Marantz NR1509 (My experience of the Marantz NR1509 may not be an entirely objective assessment since i heard them with a different set of speakers - Mission QX2 as opposed to my own speakers). The Chord Mojo and my stereo interconnects - Audioquest Goldengate, and USB chord - Audioquest Pearl are a constant cuz they're portable.
Yes, looking for PM6006

Yes, you can plug in a DAC directly into a power amp. Let me test it with just my DAC without the the pre to see if it will perform fine with 2 Vrms output of the DAC and get back.

The Crowns work their best when the are fed sufficient Input voltage. I have heard them sound weak when connected to my Marantz 7010 receiver but sounding wonderful in my DAC - tube pre chain. In fact, I prefer the sound of the Crowns to the sound of the Marantz 7010 in pure direct.
Thanks for sharing your experience

Why don't you check Norge? They are very good VFM amplifier makers from our own country. We have some one recently bought Norge and given very good feedback. Please search for Norge in the forum, you may get valuable information.

Discussing the same thing on two threads can be confusing. For the benefit of members and for constructive feedback, am posting on this thread too.

Tested the DAC output to my Crown XLS 2502 and they work fine both with the 1.4 and the .755 sensitivity setting. I however, prefer the sound from the DAC to my Tube-pre and to the Crown XLS 2502.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back