Need suggestion on subwoofer

Anbu Palani

Hi All
Please help me decide on the subwoofer for my 15(Length)*16(Width) feet living room setup.
I have already got Klipsch reference series speakers, Denon AVR and looking to buy subwoofer in a weeks time.
Here are the details of my present setup.
Center speaker - Klipsch RC-62ii
Frequency response 57Hz-24KHz at +/- 3dB
150W RMS
Bookshelf speakers - Klipsch RB-61ii
Frequency response 45Hz-24KHz at +/- 3dB
100W RMS
Surround speakers - Klipsch R-15M
Frequency response 62Hz-24KHz at +/- 3dB
85W RMS
Denon X-1400H A/V Receiver 7.2 channel
43inch LG 4K TV
Mostly streaming movie content from Netflix, Amazon Prime using Fire 4K HD stick and youtube music.
70-75% watching movies and 25-30% of time streaming online music.

I have looked at few subwoofers in the past week and interested in following.
1. Focal Sub300P - 11inch driver, 300W RMS, asking price Rs.40000/-
Frequency response 36Hz-160Hz at +/- 3dB
(Question: Someone posted in previous threat that frequency response of Subwoofer should be 10-20Hz below the main speaker. This one comes to 9Hz difference with my bookshelf freq response)
2. SVS PB-1000 - 10inch driver, 300W RMS, asking price Rs. 52000 to 55000 (HTStore.in).
Frequency response 19Hz-270Hz at +/- 3dB
3.Klipsch R-12SW - 12inch driver, 200W RMS,
asking price Rs. 45600 (SayhiFi.com), Rs. 45800 (ooberpad.com) to Rs.60000 in Bangalore showroom
Frequency response 29Hz-120Hz at +/- 3dB
4. Klipsch R-112SW - 12inch driver, 300W RMS
asking price Rs. 45600 (SayhiFi.com), Rs. 82800 (ooberpad.com) to Rs.85000 in Bangalore showroom
Frequency response 24Hz-125Hz at +/- 3dB

Please let me know your suggestion for my above setup. Since i am new to audio systems any kind of input will help me make an informed decision before i spent that 40-50K on subwoofer. Is there any other subwoofer option that i need to look at before making my purchase? I live in Bangalore and started roaming around for subwoofer from last 10days.
Any input of home theater system wiring, setup & installation and tuning is also welcome - I have not setup my system yet.

Really appreciate your input.

Thanks
Anbu

try rythmik audio lv12r(i found it better than svs pb2000 in price to perfomance ratio), contact prosonics avolution bangalore or avenue sound mumbai.
or maybe xtz sub(didn't heard but have speakers from them) from surroundswar.

I am using lv12r in 130-135 sqft untreated room, also goes great for audio due to being direct servo.

try rythmik audio lv12r(i found it better than svs pb2000 in price to perfomance ratio), contact prosonics avolution bangalore or avenue sound mumbai.
or maybe xtz sub(didn't heard but have speakers from them) from surroundswar.

I am using lv12r in 130-135 sqft untreated room, also goes great for audio due to being direct servo.
Xtz's good reviewed sub mrp is 99k

Anbu give it a shot for cost-effective BIC PL200 / BIC PL200 ii which are proven subs for an ultimate performance, packed with very good features like BASH amplifier goes as low as ~21Hz, 12 inch drive, 250 RMS (1000 peak) and carries good warranty for crossover (5 years) & drive (8 years).

You should try the audition in an untreated room to get the real performance. For all the money that you pay, you will enjoy for sure. At its price point, you can't find many brands giving you the mentioned configuration.

Go for the dual sub if your budget allows.

Thanks for your input guys. My budget is around 40K and i can stretch to 50K. I will audition PL200 once again in JAMSTICKS and keep you posted.

Thanks for your input guys. My budget is around 40K and i can stretch to 50K. I will audition PL200 once again in JAMSTICKS and keep you posted.

If you have an untreated room and if it is not in a proper shape (L or different shaped), the BIC America PL 200ii will take care of the same....it is not too fussy for placement....since it is ported, bass will flow to all parts of the area......audition and decide....you can also go through the BIC America Owners thread where there is first hand information from users.

If you have an untreated room and if it is not in a proper shape (L or different shaped), the BIC America PL 200ii will take care of the same....it is not too fussy for placement....since it is ported, bass will flow to all parts of the area......audition and decide....you can also go through the BIC America Owners thread where there is first hand information from users.
Ported or sealed, frequencies below 80hz are omnidirectional.

I suggest you audition the subwoofers before buying. I recommend SVS PB-1000.

Subwoofer placement is very important especially when single subwoofer is used, dual subwoofers provide more placement flexibility.
Since the room is extending to dining room area, you may consider higher model like PB-2000 if budget allows.

You can audition them at HTStore or THC (The Home Cinema, Rupesh, 9731258866). THC also got SVS PB-4000 also on demo, you can experience that beast as well (high-excursion 13.5-inch driver, 1200 watts RMS, 4,000+ watts peak power amplifier, 70kg weight).

I suggest you audition the subwoofers before buying. I recommend SVS PB-1000.

Subwoofer placement is very important especially when single subwoofer is used, dual subwoofers provide more placement flexibility.
Since the room is extending to dining room area, you may consider higher model like PB-2000 if budget allows.

You can audition them at HTStore or THC (The Home Cinema, Rupesh, 9731258866). THC also got SVS PB-4000 also on demo, you can experience that beast as well (high-excursion 13.5-inch driver, 1200 watts RMS, 4,000+ watts peak power amplifier, 70kg weight).
Thank you, i have contacted Rupesh for demo.

Visited a newly built home theater today with denon x4400 + polk S series as LFE+center+surrounds and PSW550 (?) as sub. I was impressed by S series, but the sub was really underperforming, though he claimed it was installed by professionals. Not sure whether it was not properly tuned , but my pb1000 performs far far better than this.

Visited a newly built home theater today with denon x4400 + polk S series as LFE+center+surrounds and PSW550 (?) as sub. I was impressed by S series, but the sub was really underperforming, though he claimed it was installed by professionals. Not sure whether it was not properly tuned , but my pb1000 performs far far better than this.

Possible tuning issue as the DSP Pro 550 sub is quite good when compared to the basic Polk subs (PSW 125)....the new series of HTS 10 and 12 are far better.....at the end of the day, all subs are different in terms of performance due to its build up, material, size etc....each one has its own signature.....it is crucial that one auditions any sub before purchase and read a lot of user reviews (after installation reviews) to get first hand feedback. Also the buyer needs to keep in mind the dealers treated room (hence the awesome performance) versus his home or room which may be untreated or odd shaped.

Possible tuning issue as the DSP Pro 550 sub is quite good when compared to the basic Polk subs (PSW 125)....the new series of HTS 10 and 12 are far better.....at the end of the day, all subs are different in terms of performance due to its build up, material, size etc....each one has its own signature.....it is crucial that one auditions any sub before purchase and read a lot of user reviews (after installation reviews) to get first hand feedback. Also the buyer needs to keep in mind the dealers treated room (hence the awesome performance) versus his home or room which may be untreated or odd shaped.
Very true..
Taking demo in such rooms and then expecting same performance at home will not work.
That's why one has to select the sub according to their requirements.

I recently bought the PB1000. As is quite clearly stated in almost every review, it may not be a great match for music but in my case its almost 100% movies, so after setting gain to 100%, frequency to LFE (on receiver its 80hz) but then matching the DB level to my speakers through the reciever, bass is thunderous and as was my expectation chest thumping. Though I will like to point out my room is rectangular/square and only 12 x 12 feet.

PB1000 is better than DSW 550

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back