Need suggestions for Bookshelf speakers around 30K

Wow, hadn't even heard of this brand before joining this forum couple of days ago and now this review is really making me reconsider choosing between the Q acoustics 3020i and ELAC B5.2...Any place in Delhi you know where I can audition the Mission QX2?
Not that i know of unfortunately. The pair thati heard had been ordered from hifimart.com. the 3020i and elac are great speakers but its not fair to compare them with the 6.5 inch driver of the mission qx2. The missions are supposed to be rs.20,000 dearer than the 3020is in international markets i.e. is positioned a whole segment above the elac b5.2 and 3020is but for some reason, the price difference in india is more or less negligible.

the 3020is and 3030is were my budget favourites before i heard the qx2. The qx2 convincingly outdoes the 3020i in every department.

The qx2 produces much more bass and dig deeper than the 3020is, sound has more scale and deeper soundstage while being more refined.And its a complete no contest insofar as build quality is concerned (love the clean aesthetic of the 3020i but the qx2 is simply more robust and uses much better quality materials).

Not that i know of unfortunately. The pair thati heard had been ordered from hifimart.com. the 3020i and elac are great speakers but its not fair to compare them with the 6.5 inch driver of the mission qx2. The missions are supposed to be rs.20,000 dearer than the 3020is in international markets i.e. is positioned a whole segment above the elac b5.2 and 3020is but for some reason, the price difference in india is more or less negligible.

the 3020is and 3030is were my budget favourites before i heard the qx2. The qx2 convincingly outdoes the 3020i in every department.

The qx2 produces much more bass and dig deeper than the 3020i, sound has more scale and deeper soundstage while being more refined.And its a complete no contest insofar as build quality is concerned (love the clean aesthetic of the 3020i but the qx2 is simply more robust and uses much better quality materials).
Is it possible to power QX2 directly from computer without any amp. I am getting tempted with your praises and now want to try them

Is it possible to power QX2 directly from computer without any amp. I am getting tempted with your praises and now want to try them
No! :p
And though they are not difficult to drive, do them a favour and power them with something decent if you grt them and they’ll shine.

I got the BA A26 and kef q350s before i got any amps and i used to pwer them with the f&d 6000u sub which had an inbuilt amp for powering its satellites. I know audiophiles may consider this atrocious but majoboori ka naam mahatma gandhi :p

Last edited:
There are some class D budget amps are there in the For sale section of this forum. If you are okay with the pre owned ones, you can consider that budget options.

The qx2 produces much more bass and dig deeper than the 3020is, sound has more scale and deeper soundstage while being more refined.And its a complete no contest insofar as build quality is concerned (love the clean aesthetic of the 3020i but the qx2 is simply more robust and uses much better quality materials).
Santhosh prosonics deals with mission x2speakers.you can deal with him

No! :p
And though they are not difficult to drive, do them a favour and power them with something decent if you grt them and they’ll shine.
Hi dear DB1989,
Your review of Mission QX2 has given me also a new perspective of looking for high quality speakers at a very affordable price. I was looking for a bookshelf pair either from B&W (entry level 607 or 606 S2) or Dynaudio (Emit M10 or Emit M20) to pair with my Onkyo AVR no. HT- R670. Although both these brands' new speakers were currently out of my budget but I was searching in used ones.
But I need valuable input here from learned members:
1. My Onkyo AVR recommends to pair speakers between 6 ohms to 16 ohms and not below 6 ohms. It is 7.1 channel having output of 130w/channel. These mission QX2 and also Dynaudio Emit M20 are having impedance of 4 ohms. Can I pair any of these to Onkyo?
2. Onkyo AVR has 130w/channel but many speakers' power handling capacity of amplifier is 100w or 120w max. Can these speakers be paired with my AVR?
3. I also saw one used Dynaudio emit m20 selling for around 40k. Now, as Mission QX2 is a new contender here, which will be a better proposition for music listening, used Dynaudio Emit M20 or brand new Mission QX2? I mostly enjoy Jazz or Rock kind of stuff via digital media.
Thanks for reading!

Regards,
Tapish

Hi dear DB1989,
Your review of Mission QX2 has given me also a new perspective of looking for high quality speakers at a very affordable price. I was looking for a bookshelf pair either from B&W (entry level 607 or 606 S2) or Dynaudio (Emit M10 or Emit M20) to pair with my Onkyo AVR no. HT- R670. Although both these brands' new speakers were currently out of my budget but I was searching in used ones.
But I need valuable input here from learned members:
1. My Onkyo AVR recommends to pair speakers between 6 ohms to 16 ohms and not below 6 ohms. It is 7.1 channel having output of 130w/channel. These mission QX2 and also Dynaudio Emit M20 are having impedance of 4 ohms. Can I pair any of these to Onkyo?
When you say it recommends speakers between 6 and 16ohms, does it specifically say not to use speakers below 6 ohm? I'd heard the QX2 through a Marantz NR1509 which does not have a 4ohm load specified but it drove it just fine. Newer AVRs and amps usuallydon't have a problem driving 4ohm loads but it's a good idea to call up the manufacturer - Onkyo directly and confirm.

2. Onkyo AVR has 130w/channel but many speakers' power handling capacity of amplifier is 100w or 120w max. Can these speakers be paired with my AVR?
This is going to come as a rude shock but your Onkyo AVR probably can't put out 130w per channel. Or can put out only 130w through one channel which gets drastically reduced when two or more channels are playing. Or worse still, 130w is rated at a very high THD, usually greater than 0.1% which is considered too high and unlistenable. On the other hand, the speakers are rated at the maximum power they can handle. Now assuming the direct case even scenario which is that your AVR can actually put out 130w per channel at <0.1%THD (no chance), the question you need to ask yourself is whether you ever listen to the music with the volume maxed out. If you don't, you're probably not using all the power on tap. Take for example the Porsche Cayenne - a favourite amongst soccer moms. It's a blazing fast SUV with some versions of it having in excess of 500bhp. It can do 0-60mph in less than 4 seconds and rated top speed is above 170mph. Simply because the soccer moms in question may not have been able to use the entire 500bhp on tap to accelerate at that rate and hit that top speed because they didn't possess the requisite skills (i suppose most of us can't btw), does it mean that the soccer moms couldn't drive the car at all? In your case, if the speakers are rated at a low power rating, simply don't crank up your AVR volume. I've used my altec Lansing mx5021 whose satellites are rated at 20w per channel with my Marantz sr6013 which is rated at 105w for a 2 channel load at <0.1% load and upon listening at reasonable volumes, the speakers survived just fine.
3. I also saw one used Dynaudio emit m20 selling for around 40k. Now, as Mission QX2 is a new contender here, which will be a better proposition for music listening, used Dynaudio Emit M20 or brand new Mission QX2? I mostly enjoy Jazz or Rock kind of stuff via digital media.
Depends on subjective taste. But more importantly, good sound does not get old. Newer speakers simply try to achieve better sound quality at a lower price point, especially so after andrew Jones did a number with his pioneer line and the new elacs. Nowadays, most manufacturers are trying to replicate that mojo.

Also, speakers are hardy so age is usually not a factor if maintained well. have a look at the condition before putting your money down. The Dynaudios are highly regarded speakers with many happy owners whereas the mission QX2s are the perfect all-rounders in my books. You can't go wrong with either.
Thanks for reading!

Regards,
Tapish
All the best mate.

Cheers

When you say it recommends speakers between 6 and 16ohms, does it specifically say not to use speakers below 6 ohm? I'd heard the QX2 through a Marantz NR1509 which does not have a 4ohm load specified but it drove it just fine. Newer AVRs and amps usuallydon't have a problem driving 4ohm loads but it's a good idea to call up the manufacturer - Onkyo directly and confirm.

This is going to come as a rude shock but your Onkyo AVR probably can't put out 130w per channel. Or can put out only 130w through one channel which gets drastically reduced when two or more channels are playing. Or worse still, 130w is rated at a very high THD, usually greater than 0.1% which is considered too high and unlistenable. On the other hand, the speakers are rated at the maximum power they can handle. Now assuming the direct case even scenario which is that your AVR can actually put out 130w per channel at <0.1%THD (no chance), the question you need to ask yourself is whether you ever listen to the music with the volume maxed out. If you don't, you're probably not using all the power on tap. Take for example the Porsche Cayenne - a favourite amongst soccer moms. It's a blazing fast SUV with some versions of it having in excess of 500bhp. It can do 0-60mph in less than 4 seconds and rated top speed is above 170mph. Simply because the soccer moms in question may not have been able to use the entire 500bhp on tap to accelerate at that rate and hit that top speed because they didn't possess the requisite skills (i suppose most of us can't btw), does it mean that the soccer moms couldn't drive the car at all? In your case, if the speakers are rated at a low power rating, simply don't crank up your AVR volume. I've used my altec Lansing mx5021 whose satellites are rated at 20w per channel with my Marantz sr6013 which is rated at 105w for a 2 channel load at <0.1% load and upon listening at reasonable volumes, the speakers survived just fine.

Depends on subjective taste. But more importantly, good sound does not get old. Newer speakers simply try to achieve better sound quality at a lower price point, especially so after andrew Jones did a number with his pioneer line and the new elacs. Nowadays, most manufacturers are trying to replicate that mojo.

Also, speakers are hardy so age is usually not a factor if maintained well. have a look at the condition before putting your money down. The Dynaudios are highly regarded speakers with many happy owners whereas the mission QX2s are the perfect all-rounders in my books. You can't go wrong with either.

All the best mate.

Cheers

Thanks dear DB!!

I am not very well versed technically as far as technical specifications are concerned as I am now learning audio technicals slowly. I am attaching herein the manual's few screenshots (highlighted in red boxes and arrows) and pic of one of my satellite speakers for your reference. You may be able to infer it better and suggest. Just to mention here that mine is American model of Onkyo. Its specifications are bit different from Asian model, both of which are mentioned in attached pics

I normally like to play the amp. loud at around 70% to 85% of max. volume. I have downtoned the bass of woofer at around 60% to 70% of max capacity as its active one. The bass at this level doesn't hurt and is enjoyable with Punjabi numbers.

As for speakers power handling capacity being lower than amp., I understand that I shouldn't play it at full volume to protect the speakers. Also, regarding mission QX2, on mission website says, Nominal impedance : 4 ohms (compatible 8 ohms).

Cheers to you!!
IMG_20210410_185927.jpgIMG_20210410_191810.jpgIMG_20210410_190753.jpgIMG_20210410_190137.jpgIMG_20210329_133932.jpg

Last edited:
Pls. let me know if the pics are not attached as I am not able to see these here in my above post.

With a decent 30k+ INR stereo amp the Emit M20 any day of the week. I have heard the QX2 which is a great speaker in its lower price tier. If you get an Emit M20 at 40k grab it with both hands :)

With a decent 30k+ INR stereo amp the Emit M20 any day of the week. I have heard the QX2 which is a great speaker in its lower price tier. If you get an Emit M20 at 40k grab it with both hands :)
Thanks Vineetrad for your valuable suggestion. I know you have just sold your emit m20. I would have definitely tried grabbing yours, had I been a member here that time.

Thanks dear DB!!

I am not very well versed technically as far as technical specifications are concerned as I am now learning audio technicals slowly. I am attaching herein the manual's few screenshots (highlighted in red boxes and arrows) and pic of one of my satellite speakers for your reference. You may be able to infer it better and suggest. Just to mention here that mine is American model of Onkyo. Its specifications are bit different from Asian model, both of which are mentioned in attached pics
Even though the missions are 4 ohm speakrs, you might want to try it out without flipping the 4ohm switch.
I normally like to play the amp. loud at around 70% to 85% of max. volume. I have downtoned the bass of woofer at around 60% to 70% of max capacity as its active one. The bass at this level doesn't hurt and is enjoyable with Punjabi numbers.
Ive checked the specs and the power is rated at 1%thd which is absurd. Your AVR will start distorting far before it reaches the missions maximum power handling capabilies. As soon as the distortion is evident through the speakers, you ought to turn down the volume.
As for speakers power handling capacity being lower than amp., I understand that I shouldn't play it at full volume to protect the speakers. Also, regarding mission QX2, on mission website says, Nominal impedance : 4 ohms (compatible 8 ohms).
Your AVR should be able to drive the missions just fine.

Cheers.

4 ohm switch on speakers?...coz AVR doesn't have any such control.

Cheers!!
Could be either hardware/software. The specs/ manual quoted by you mentions setting the AVR to 4 ohms if the speaker impedance is less than 6ohms. Some older AVRs/amps had this in the form of a physical switch.

I have Mission MkII LX6 + LXC2 + LX2 with minimum rated impedance at 3 ohm, 4.3 ohm and 3.8 ohm respectively. My Denon S950H drives them beautifully even at eco mode (running them on LFE+Main since I have a weak sub).

The thing about impedance is - it's dynamic and different at different frequencies - it's generally lowest on sub bass frequencies and in most setups it's just crossed out and moved to LFE. Unless one specifically wants to run the speakers in full range and at high volumes (power) most of the time - I wouldn't even look at the impedance levels. From what I've read - on the amps that have the 4 ohm compatibility setting, all that does is limit the dynamic power to the speakers. I wouldn't touch it unless you see your amp over heating.

Could be either hardware/software. The specs/ manual quoted by you mentions setting the AVR to 4 ohms if the speaker impedance is less than 6ohms. Some older AVRs/amps had this in the form of a physical switch.
Ohh... Actually, I had mentioned in previous post but maybe you missed that. My Onkyo AVR is actually imported from US and in its manual, they mention different specifications for both North American and Asian models. North American have impedance of 6 ohms to 16 ohms whereas Asian models having 4 ohms to 16 ohms. So, that setting to 4 ohms is in Asian models only.
But as you suggested and mission website also suggesting QX2 to be compatible with 8 ohms, I believe, it can be easily paired with Onkyo due to variable impedance. Now, eagerly waiting to buy these speakers soon. :)

I have Mission MkII LX6 + LXC2 + LX2 with minimum rated impedance at 3 ohm, 4.3 ohm and 3.8 ohm respectively. My Denon S950H drives them beautifully even at eco mode (running them on LFE+Main since I have a weak sub).

The thing about impedance is - it's dynamic and different at different frequencies - it's generally lowest on sub bass frequencies and in most setups it's just crossed out and moved to LFE. Unless one specifically wants to run the speakers in full range and at high volumes (power) most of the time - I wouldn't even look at the impedance levels. From what I've read - on the amps that have the 4 ohm compatibility setting, all that does is limit the dynamic power to the speakers. I wouldn't touch it unless you see your amp over heating.
I normally like to play it loud most of the time. My Onkyo AVR has an inherent tendency to heat up . Its mentioned on the receiver also that the unit heats up fairly hot which is normal.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back