Need suggestions for Open baffle Design

Here you go with the vented box. I had to modify the box tuning to avoid a deep notch created by the vent velocity at 3433Hz. I will not be surprised if you hear this peak with the recommended winisd values. I had to modify the vent dia and length to get rid of this nasty notch.

There you go!
Now you all tell me, which one would you go for?

I have always call Ahuja 12-FRX as Gold and this is why!!

If you simulate the Ahuja AS15-200X for ported enclosure, you can see that it goes down to 30Hz!!
With OB it is showing a booming response.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,

Ravindra.

Though my phone cannot not record Bass and and it seems to love treble more than actually it is there, nevertheless you can get an idea of what OB delivers when the recording is good :

Bass on Ahuja OBs is different, nothing anywhere like the boxed speakers, but you need to unlearn something to experience it. I'm sure this bass will not give you headaches, even if you listen for days together...

My OBs playing Streamed Content on Spotify, With Northstar Supremo DAC and Rega Brio amp, Kimber 4pr Cables.

There you go!
Now you all tell me, which one would you go for?

I have always call Ahuja 12-FRX as Gold and this is why!!

If you simulate the Ahuja AS15-200X for ported enclosure, you can see that it goes down to 30Hz!!
With OB it is showing a booming response.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,

Ravindra.
I will not prefer the vented enclosure as it has a over damped response in the low end and can cause listening fatigue. As this is a quick simulation, there is a scope for improvement by carefully adjusting the driver position, vent position, vent tuning and stuffing of the enclosure to bring it to critically damped region. I have 15 years ago used a JVC 8" woofer having similar response and i was never able to tame its low end because i did not have any simulator at that time and did not know where to go looking.

I will not prefer the vented enclosure as it has a over damped response in the low end and can cause listening fatigue. As this is a quick simulation, there is a scope for improvement by carefully adjusting the driver position, vent position, vent tuning and stuffing of the enclosure to bring it to critically damped region. I have 15 years ago used a JVC 8" woofer having similar response and i was never able to tame its low end because i did not have any simulator at that time and did not know where to go looking.

I must say Hari that you have a special gift.
You can tell from the graph that the bass is going to cause listening fatigue.

Regards,

Ravindra.

Very nice. Is it just the Ahuja 12” FR playing ?
Yes it's just Ahuja Frx 12 playing, they were playing better in some sequences, in my treated room, than MA Silver RX6 & our FM @Nikhili accompanied me.

Thanks, your posts on OBs helped a lot. The transparency in the speakers is unbelievable. The change in audio is sonically evident for every small change in electronics components etc

Though my phone cannot not record Bass and and it seems to love treble more than actually it is there, nevertheless you can get an idea of what OB delivers when the recording is good :

Awesome sounding. So much fuller even though captured with a mobile phone.

How is the HF extension on the Ahuja FR ?
Honesty Frx 12 is excellent mostly in the mids, (I'm listening to all oldies Cds and Hindustani classical collection all over again) it'll be benefitted by both Super tweeter and LF drivers ; the higher sensitivity of the driver makes up for the need of tweeter so you can get away without a HF support. But ideally you'll have to support it with a LF driver, again a OB LF would be a better option, I'm confused as far as the driver choices for LF in OB goes, as you can see I've left a place for LF driver to be added later.

Further, how is the HF dispersion ?
I feel my room is a bit small for the driver, @19ftx14ft, so I'm overwhelmed by the HF effects because I sit in the middle of the dispersion field. A rather big room would have been better IMHO.
am in a great dilemma wrt using miniDSP
I was running with Dirac filters over my room treatment. Dirac helps a lot in getting the sound right. I have tried with Taga SW 10 and Pioneer Subs and Marantz SR 7010 in 2.1 mode but the sub and OBs never gelled seamlessly. Playing OBs alone was much better IMHO. That's why I'm looking for good dedicated OB LF drivers.

DHT Tube Pre for the 2 way OB.
I played the OBs with 3W 6j1 based tube amp and I did not need to raise the volume pot above 30%,the driver sensitivity is amazing. At a point of critical listening I was able to make out a difference between Holding the CD player in hand and placing it on the Rack. (I know many will be grimacing at this, but I could hear a difference).

very well recorded tracks amaze me
Yes I use Kodi mostly, though I have got Jriver, I'm pretty used to Kodi since Rpi days. Kodi plays dsd as well, and it's very cool. I'm using HP compact PC /Kodi with i5 and 250 SSD, currently Tidal is what I'm mostly stuck to.

all intruements seem to occupy their different space, so much that I can touch them playing.......
Precisely, this has been my experience!

I must say Hari that you have a special gift.
You can tell from the graph that the bass is going to cause listening fatigue.

Regards,

Ravindra.
Looking at the FR only as it's a over damped response Can you hear the notch at 1645Hz? You have built using winisd hence asking. Check for port noise by putting your ears close to port. You will gain by adding some damping at the port using foam or something similar.

Because of the rectangular shape of baffle and circular shape of drivers, keeping them in the mid will still have different distance between sound source to baffle edge. Plus we are keeping the 12FRX eccentrically on the vertical frame perspective.

Honesty Frx 12 is excellent mostly in the mids, (I'm listening to all oldies Cds and Hindustani classical collection all over again) it'll be benefitted by both Super tweeter and LF drivers ; the higher sensitivity of the driver makes up for the need of tweeter so you can get away without a HF support. But ideally you'll have to support it with a LF driver, again a OB LF would be a better option, I'm confused as far as the driver choices for LF in OB goes, as you can see I've left a place for LF driver to be added later.
You can use AS 15 200 on an plain open baffle or in Ripole way if you want it to be compact. I am happy with Ripole as it supports the AS15 by lowering its Fs thus enabling its capability as a better LF driver. I suggest you keep the LF separate to avoid transferring vibration to 12FRX.

Bass on Ahuja OBs is different, nothing anywhere like the boxed speakers, but you need to unlearn something to experience it. I'm sure this bass will not give you headaches, even if you listen for days together...

My OBs playing Streamed Content on Spotify, With Northstar Supremo DAC and Rega Brio amp, Kimber 4pr Cables.

Your speakers looks great! Share some more photos of it showing around, if that is not a problem for you.

I simulated a MLTL with the Ahuja - 12FR driver and got this very good response. Its way better than the ported enclosure design with a critically damped response with a smooth -6dB roll-off from 50Hz. Will sound great in this setup for sure with well balanced low-end. Also the size is much smaller than the ported design and can be installed in Mumbai type homes.:)

Attachments

• Ahuja-MLTL.png
    Ahuja-MLTL.png
    70.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Ahuja-MLTL-FR.png
    Ahuja-MLTL-FR.png
    108.6 KB · Views: 45
Thanks a lot for your efforts @Hari Iyer .
I will stick to sealed and ported enclosures for the time being.
However, if and when I want/ need to do a OB or a TL, I refer to this work from you.

Great work in pointing out the port noise.
I had that covered and have three ports (refer to the plan shared elsewhere), large enough to not make wind noise in ports audible.

Thanks again!!

Regards,

Ravindra.

Another crucial aspect as noticed by me was the stuffing of the box Over stuffing added to the port resonanc and it's crucial to have the optimum stuffing to get it right. I usually measure the system impedance to balance the stuffing as per required/ design

Thanks every one for the suggestions , Thank you Hari for spending your precious time for the simulations . Most probably this week i will buy the drivers and start building.

I simulated a MLTL with the Ahuja - 12FR driver and got this very good response. Its way better than the ported enclosure design with a critically damped response with a smooth -6dB roll-off from 50Hz. Will sound great in this setup for sure with well balanced low-end. Also the size is much smaller than the ported design and can be installed in Mumbai type homes.:)
I think I remember you did this some time back too for the same driver and the size came out to be enormous for an apartment in Mumbai.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back