Need to buy new Speakers and amplifier within 50k

sameershenai

Hi all,

This is my first post to Hifivision.
I want to buy an audiophile Amplifier and Speakers for
Industrial Rock/Classical Rock and Fusion Bands like Indian Ocean.

I have already used Telome Speakers with Onkyo Amplifier,but since i have
shifted to hyderabad i need to buy new Music system(used may as well work).

So please help me out in deciding configuration for 50k
I know its less for an audiophile system,but that is my price constraint.

Thanx

Sameer
[email protected]

Hi, can you tell us what you are using as a source? For audiophile quality sound the source is a very important aspect. If your source is going to be a generic consumer CD player, I would honestly recommend that you keep a bit of that 50k aside for getting a good CDP as well.

Generally the speakers are the most important part of the setup, so I'll start from there. Disclaimer, i am not an audiophile, just an audio enthusiast, so these are just some pointers before the people who know their stuff can advise you better.

Speakers
--------

There are two options for you here, going for (moderately) high quality bookshelves or medium quality floorstanders. (moderately) high quality bookshelves start at about 10k, and these include the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s (11k), Polk Audio RTi A1 (14k), etc.,

Or for a slightly higher price you could go for lesser quality floorstanders like the Jamo 406 (a pair should be what 16k?...wait futurebazaar has the whole 5 speakers package for 17k) or the Polk Audio Monitor 50s (19k). These will probably have slightly inferior detail and clarity but will provide better bass thump which you may want for rock music.

Amplifier and CDP
--------

Depending on how much you spend on your speakers, you can have anything between 38k to 30k left for the amp and CDP. If for instance you go for Wharfedale 9.1s for 11k....you'll have 39k left, then you could consider going for a combination of a Cambridge Audio 340C CD player (14k) and a CA 540A (20k?) or a CA 640A (25k?) amplifier.....if you've spent a bit more on the speakers, you could consider economising on the source and going for a Cambridge Audio DVD89 which is a 1080i upscaling DVD player that also does a good job of playing audio CDs....this is for 10k......

there are other options from marantz and NAD as well in these price ranges, which others I am sure will chip in with.

At the end of the day listen to all these things....spend all the time that you can afford to spend....and see what makes you happy.

There are loads of similar posts on the forum. I suggest you try to read them. Pl look for them in the spk & amp section.
As it would enable you ask more,also get more pointed & detailed ans.
Sorry if my ans has disappointed you, but if do go through the other posts, you are most likely to gain more info.
All the best.
Cheers:)

Thanx psychotropic that was really valuable information.
Well i was thinking of going for NAD C521BEE cd player,and also i had Cambridge Audio 340C in my mind.
>Does source play important role in choosing speakers?
>Will i be able to manage B & W speakers and NAD amplifier(coz i love NAD) in my budget.?
>Where can i get good deals for speakers and amplifiers in india.?

@Neo:"Thanx dude, actually i went through the posts in amplifier and speakers section,But it confused me more than helping,So i thgt of starting this thread."

Thanx

Sameer

>Will i be able to manage B & W speakers and NAD amplifier(coz i love NAD) in my budget.?

The only B&W speaker pair that I can think of that will fit your budget is the DM303. I am not sure they are available any more. In the new series, the least inexpensive pair will be around 30K.

Cheers.

You can also add the tannoy F1 custom to your list of auditions. They are arnd 18k.

What is the kind of music that you listen to & can pl aslo describe your room.
All the best

Hi,
Thanx everyone for the replys..

Well i listen to Industrial rock(nine inch nails),Classical rock(Pink floyd) and trance/electronic. I want to install the System in my Bedroom.I dont want my system to sound too trance(like onkyo that i already have back home) nor too jazzy or muddy.

> need to know if there is any cd players within 12k like NAD,CA that comes with USB support so that i can connect my FLAC files from Harddisk to the player.

>Also what is the sub woofer that i should include?

>I have checked Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s, Polk Audio RTi A1,Polk Audio Monitor 50s,tannoy F1 custom,,monitor audio bronze br1 and the CA 540A / CA 640A amplifiers on the internet. Well which one to choose from these??

Thanx
Sameer Shenai

Hi everyone

I just joined this community and this was the thread i was looking for.
My music requirements are some what similar but i dont want to pump in 50 grand for music system now so can some one recommend me a system arnd 35 grand?

wht if i go for second hand system?

santhosh kumar

Sameer I'm not aware if there is a cd player with a USB input , so the the option would be to go get a dvd player & also i'm not sure if they will play flac files.

I woundn't recco a sub, instead spend that money on a quality spk,amp cd/dvd player. You'll be much happier with less but better components.

From the list as provided buy you i would go for the Tannoy with the CA 540, but i insist you get an auditon as sound is a very personal choice.

All the best.
Cheers.

santhosh,

Go for a CA 540D DVD player that is also very good with music (15k) or a CA 340C CDP (14k)

Go for a CA 340A amplifier for 14k (or the 340A SE for 16k, 5w per channel extra, plus aux-in in front) and wharfedale diamond 9.1s (11k)....total 39k to 42k....

and tell me how it is :D because i am also planning to pick up this combo. I haven't gotten around to auditioning it as yet, because of lack of time. As soon as I do, I'll let you know, but please do one yourself and post results in the meantime.

Hi everyone

I just joined this community and this was the thread i was looking for.
My music requirements are some what similar but i dont want to pump in 50 grand for music system now so can some one recommend me a system arnd 35 grand?

wht if i go for second hand system?

santhosh kumar

Hi you can check out the Pulz Status 203 speaker with the pre power combination of Pulz RS 1OO and RS 250 power amplifier.
Pulz amps and speakers are known for their legendary sound reproduction quality and service support reliability

Please check out http://www.rns.co.in,http://www.pulz.co.in

Hi all,

This is my first post to Hifivision.
I want to buy an audiophile Amplifier and Speakers for
Industrial Rock/Classical Rock and Fusion Bands like Indian Ocean.

I have already used Telome Speakers with Onkyo Amplifier,but since i have
shifted to hyderabad i need to buy new Music system(used may as well work).

So please help me out in deciding configuration for 50k
I know its less for an audiophile system,but that is my price constraint.

Thanx

Sameer
[email protected]

Hi you can check out the Pulz Status 203 speaker with the pre power combination of Pulz RS 1OO and RS 250 power amplifier.
Pulz amps and speakers are known for their legendary sound reproduction quality and service support reliability

I have heard the Pulz pre and power. It was actually this combination that made me fall in love with the Wharfedale Diamonds.

Unfortunately the Chennai branch of Pulz got burnt one day, and they have not go their act together after that. Pro Musicals does represent Pulz in Chennai, but they are focussing more on professional equipment right now.

The web sites has no information on their Home Audio. If someone from Mumbai can visit Pulz, and post some data, it will be wonderful.

Cheers

I am not sure if that is the case, you can check with their Chennai office on 9840044432,they have a set up for demo for you to hear.
They also can give you the specifications etc.
I am sure Promusicals can also help you out with the information
What do you mean by Chennai has got burnt.

I have heard the Pulz pre and power. It was actually this combination that made me fall in love with the Wharfedale Diamonds.

Unfortunately the Chennai branch of Pulz got burnt one day, and they have not go their act together after that. Pro Musicals does represent Pulz in Chennai, but they are focussing more on professional equipment right now.

The web sites has no information on their Home Audio. If someone from Mumbai can visit Pulz, and post some data, it will be wonderful.

Cheers

Can anyone give me dealers for CA,Warfdale,Polk audio,NAD,Tannoy in hyderabad.
if not then in india..
i need a demo before buying them.

thanx

sameer shenai

Last edited:
I am not sure if that is the case, you can check with their Chennai office on 9840044432,they have a set up for demo for you to hear. They also can give you the specifications etc.
I am sure Promusicals can also help you out with the information
What do you mean by Chennai has got burnt.

This was a long time ago when I was actively looking for pre/power. I called the Chennai office of Pulz, and they said they had lost all their equipment to fire (or stealing?). I have not followed up after that.

I am very familiar with Pro Musicals. As I said I have heard the Pulz Pre/power there only.

Cheers

Hey Sameer,

Polk - Profx, Somajiguda - babukhan mall
Wharfedale(aldiamonds, 9.5, 9.5. 9.1, upus or varus etc) & Dali(Ikon 6, mentor series too, helicon subs) - vector systems, nagarjuna circle - contact person Sriivas 9348666336.

NAD & tannoy - I guess Sound and Vision, airport road begumpet. see for first house on left(no signboards) when entering the road - Shyam - 9959555910.
Uday - 9959555912.

cambridge audio - I u have Av max and call the number for SV Sound Systems, they just do not answer or shout back at us(my experience).
Call up FXntertainment - delhi. thay will help

Hope this helps.

regards,
Anooj mangalam

Thanx Anooj.

Hey This is the configuration i decided.

1)Warfdale diamond 9.1
2)CA 540D DVD player
3)CA 340A SE Amplifier

Do i need a subwoofer with this??
And Should i go for Diamond 9.2 ??
What is the cost of Tannoy custom F1??

Thanx
Sameer

Sameer,
Diamond 9.1's are pretty good. Bigger would be better, but then also, you might need more power. By the way, did u audition Cambridge with Diamonds. Because, you might like them individually, but not together. I think Diamonds being not that efficient and 340SE is also not that powerful, you might not be able to blast them or use them for bigger rooms. So, make sure you are satisfied with the volume level etc; Cambridge 540D v2 has been appreciated a lot for its musical capability. So, thats a nice choice. Whats the pricing you are getting these for and where in Hyderabad.

Thanks.
Gopi.

Thanx Anooj.

Hey This is the configuration i decided.

1)Warfdale diamond 9.1
2)CA 540D DVD player
3)CA 340A SE Amplifier

Do i need a subwoofer with this??
And Should i go for Diamond 9.2 ??
What is the cost of Tannoy custom F1??

Thanx
Sameer

Sameer, if you're building a system only for audio I think you should get a dedicated CD player rather than a DVD player. I think the Marantz CD-5001 will fit your budget at around 14,000.

The Diamonds are excellent speakers for their price. You also have the choice of Mordaunt Short Avant 902i bookshelf. I think they are under 10k.

I agree with Gopi that your chosen amp is a bit weak. You could look for a used NAD, CA or Marantz amp or buy a new Norge amp. The Norge Concerto Gold (don't remember the model no) should be around 9k. However a NAD 355 would of course be much better.

Do remember to reserve some of your budget for good interconnects and speaker cable.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back