New AV rack from IKEA

Subbu68

Kallax is a configurable general purpose shelf from IKEA that many use as AV rack especially the 4 x 4 one. But for the limitation that it cannot accommodate full size components I like many did not go for it. Pretty cheap and can take everything including vinyls in cloth based or acrylic boxes that can be purchased with it.

Hopefully the new version coming up would find many fans among hifi enthusiasts.

Kallax is a configurable general purpose shelf from IKEA that many use as AV rack especially the 4 x 4 one. But for the limitation that it cannot accommodate full size components I like many did not go for it. Pretty cheap and can take everything including vinyls in cloth based or acrylic boxes that can be purchased with it.

Hopefully the new version coming up would find many fans among hifi enthusiasts.

I suppose if you want to have a sturdy AV rack better to get it built by a carpenter, as a single non assembled structure, based on the number of components you want to accommodate on the rack. Use solid wood and rubber feet or padding for the rack legs. It would be much cheaper (around 3 - 8k) and more sturdy than the assembled ones. I have seen on some websites the AV rack goes for exorbitant rates from 30k to 80k.
FYI. I belong to a carpenter family.

I suppose if you want to have a sturdy AV rack better to get it built by a carpenter, as a single non assembled structure, based on the number of components you want to accommodate on the rack. Use solid wood and rubber feet or padding for the rack legs. It would be much cheaper (around 3 - 8k) and more sturdy than the assembled ones. I have seen on some websites the AV rack goes for exorbitant rates from 30k to 80k.
FYI. I belong to a carpenter family.
True, solid wood is good where it is cheaper to do so and wood is available in plenty. INR 8000 translates to roughly 100 USD that I will have to pay here for the carpenter to just cut the wood maybe. Add the charges for making and total could 2-3 hundred USD equivalent. Wood maybe another few hundred USDs.

Wood is expensive outside. On coming to UAE from a teak wood furnished house in Kerala I was shocked to see the particle boards, chip board and MDF all veneered but then that is the world - much cheaper and more enviro friendly - mostly from purpose grown trees.

For that labour I'd have to pay here, I can get from IKEA a solid 30kG weighing AV rack with Walnut veneer (the one in the video https://www.hifivision.com/threads/amazing-little-devil-indeed-lii-f6.90582/#post-1014487 ) and assemble in a couple of hours. Thick chip board veneered and solid ash base seems quite solid. Maintained well they last.

Sound foundation is a good brand. One can do customization in the their available designs. I recently purchase their Alpha Evo 22 Maple (Rectangular) audio rack. Before that I searched for suitable audio rack at ikea etc. The rack from sound foundation is of very good quality with strong real wood shelves and sturdy and heavy support system. The hardware is of excellent quality. There are spikes at the bottom for isolation. Modular in nature, very easy to assemble.

Attachments

• 539dc9ff-ef63-4047-98d9-00d312c6c19e.jpg
    539dc9ff-ef63-4047-98d9-00d312c6c19e.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 63
Hi Everybody, I stay in Bangalore and am planning to work on a project and I just wanted to check if there is anybody else in Bangalore who would be interested in joining me because they have similar requirements (I have already found one interested person outside this forum and was looking for more people). Basically one of the issues that we face in India is to keep our a/v equipment in a dust free enclosure. There are various server rack manufacturers or metal workshops who can build an enclosure customised as per our requirements, the project is for us to collectively create individual requirements based on our specific needs find somebody who can make cad drawings for this and then find a metal working shop who can create these racks for us. We can collectively negotiate a good price with the people we hire. I thought about doing this on my own but it's just way too much work for one person and I thought I would check if there is anybody else in Bangalore who was also looking for something similar and then we can combine our efforts. Please let me know if anyone is interested I have given a link below of a YouTube video for the kind of rack that I am interested in the only differences I also want one which can open from the top as well as as the front so that I can access my turntable Plus I need to make it more aesthetic with a good colour I am sure everyone will have their own specific requirements and we can always ask the vendor to customise as per individual requirement. Please let me know if anyone is interested in joining in here's a link of what I'm trying to build.

I was looking at a sleek and strong rack with good ventillation and easy of cleaning. Most important requirement was flexibility since gears come and go hence the shelves needed to be adjusted vertically in accordance. Even wheels are available for ease of cleaning behind or moving the rack for connecting cables.
I came across Salamander racks which seem very good aesthetically and seem strong with each shelf taking a weight of around 50 kgs. It has overall good views on Amazon and other sites selling them.
Unfortunately they are not available on Amazon India and nobody makes it like them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240215_155850_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240215_155850_Chrome.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 19
Check out sound foundation, talk to them.
ALPHA EVO MAPLE STACK 35 SS
ALPHA EVO MAPLE
Had already contacted Magma long ago but they don't make that kind of rack. For all practical purposes needed wheels & vertical adjustment of shelves flexibility for any future adjustments.
I already have a 4 shelf fixed rack which is not a practical solution for me since I need to adjust the shelves now which is not possible.

Last edited:
Hi Everybody, I stay in Bangalore and am planning to work on a project and I just wanted to check if there is anybody else in Bangalore who would be interested in joining me because they have similar requirements (I have already found one interested person outside this forum and was looking for more people). Basically one of the issues that we face in India is to keep our a/v equipment in a dust free enclosure. There are various server rack manufacturers or metal workshops who can build an enclosure customised as per our requirements, the project is for us to collectively create individual requirements based on our specific needs find somebody who can make cad drawings for this and then find a metal working shop who can create these racks for us. We can collectively negotiate a good price with the people we hire. I thought about doing this on my own but it's just way too much work for one person and I thought I would check if there is anybody else in Bangalore who was also looking for something similar and then we can combine our efforts. Please let me know if anyone is interested I have given a link below of a YouTube video for the kind of rack that I am interested in the only differences I also want one which can open from the top as well as as the front so that I can access my turntable Plus I need to make it more aesthetic with a good colour I am sure everyone will have their own specific requirements and we can always ask the vendor to customise as per individual requirement. Please let me know if anyone is interested in joining in
Interested. DM'd you.

Hi Everybody, I stay in Bangalore and am planning to work on a project and I just wanted to check if there is anybody else in Bangalore who would be interested in joining me because they have similar requirements (I have already found one interested person outside this forum and was looking for more people). Basically one of the issues that we face in India is to keep our a/v equipment in a dust free enclosure. There are various server rack manufacturers or metal workshops who can build an enclosure customised as per our requirements, the project is for us to collectively create individual requirements based on our specific needs find somebody who can make cad drawings for this and then find a metal working shop who can create these racks for us. We can collectively negotiate a good price with the people we hire. I thought about doing this on my own but it's just way too much work for one person and I thought I would check if there is anybody else in Bangalore who was also looking for something similar and then we can combine our efforts. Please let me know if anyone is interested I have given a link below of a YouTube video for the kind of rack that I am interested in the only differences I also want one which can open from the top as well as as the front so that I can access my turntable Plus I need to make it more aesthetic with a good colour I am sure everyone will have their own specific requirements and we can always ask the vendor to customise as per individual requirement. Please let me know if anyone is interested in joining in here's a link of what I'm trying to build.

how different are these from Network Racks that I usually find in all offices ( IT/Software )?

how different are these from Network Racks that I usually find in all offices ( IT/Software )?
They seem to be very similar. My initial thought was to buy a network rack and customise it but I wasn't sure if I can get a metal working shop who can do it well. I was looking for something more aesthetic as well.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back