DIY - New AV Rack

Sachin

Recently, I completed making of my second AV rack, the first rack with fixed glass shelve heights, was made in SS304 around two years back. It is due to the limitation of fixed shelve heights that forced me to look into different type of constructional features to avoid any sort of welding distortion and also look at different material of construction (MOC) to avoid resonances, vibrations and make the rack rigid, which at the same time will allow the flexibility of varying the shelf heights to accommodate / place different gear as per the requirement, convenience and allow change of gears by virtue of upgrades without having to change the rack. Aesthetics and the expandability were the other areas to be considered while making of this rack.

In the process, searched and studied various racks/ designs on the sites and the ones made by the members here and finalized the one (shown in the photos below) as it was meeting my mentioned requirements. Quite a few members have done this rack and are similar to the one sold by Mapleshade, thanks to the members and this wonderful forum :clapping: for the loads of information and ideas, which has inspired me to take up this DIY route yet again.

In the spirit of DIY, I thought of sharing this with you all, so as to help the members planning racks or are planning one in future.

I started making this almost 3-4 months back, but could not expedite due to the work schedule, March year ending delivery pressures and also lost lots of time in sourcing the wooden planks.

ConstructionThe vertical posts are threaded made of 30 mm dia., and are readily available in the hardware shops and come in the standard lengths of 1 meter.

The nuts, end caps and the feet are made of 50mm dia brass rod. They are machined to suit the wooden plates and the studs. The brass nuts (they are purposely kept round to make them look elegant and less mechanical enhancing the aesthetics of the rack. For tightening the nuts, smaller holes were drilled on the sides as seen in the photos.

The wooden planks used for shelf are made of one piece and no joints are used; they are cut from the log to achieve wider and thicker panels, dimensionally they are 600 x 400 and 2 thick. Later, they are leveled, finished to exact dimensions, the holes are drilled to accommodate the studs dimension.

Finish

Studs - The threaded rods (studs) are blackodised for protection from rusting and as well for that dark black look which should look good in contrast to the color of the brass hardwares and give that deserved look.

Brass Hardwares - The brass nuts, end caps and the feet with spikes were machined and buffed to matt finish.

Wooden plates After proper sizing with chamfering of corners and the holes to suit the stud dimensions, they were applied with necessary transparent coats of polish and lacquer to maintain the uniformity while retaining and revealing the grainy structure of the wood, which I love to see in any wooden piece of furniture and that feels natural.

Cost - I am yet to do mathematics, will share the same as soon as I am ready with it.

Result - I am extremely happy with the way it has come up; it is simple, solid, rigid, vibration free, elegant and more than anything else my gear is happy.

Check the following photos (excuse poor quality as they are taken on mobile, will try to post more clear pictures soon)with some of the gears happily seating on the rack, they deserved this luxury anyways, specially my Luxman amp. You can also see in the last photo, those lovely speaker stands by our own magma.

This post is in continuation of tradition of sharing the information, hands on experience and knowledge acquired while in the DIY process. Thanks for reading and happy listening :)

Best regards.

Attachments

• IMG00193-20110519-1052.jpg
    IMG00193-20110519-1052.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG00197-20110519-1053.jpg
    IMG00197-20110519-1053.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG00196-20110519-1053.jpg
    IMG00196-20110519-1053.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG00200-20110519-1634.jpg
    IMG00200-20110519-1634.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 448
  • IMG00201-20110519-1634.jpg
    IMG00201-20110519-1634.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 452
Hi Sachin, great job. The Luxman certainly deserves its new home! I also see u added B&W's.

I've also been on a journey with my system since I heard your amp - we should catch up, what say Pune HFV meet 2011? Lets get Sono involved.

Great stuff, Sachin. Very lovingly and painstakingly undertaken and concluded.
My profound complments.
The selection of wood and working thereof is especially superb.
I can see that you spared no expense on the wood and thats what makes your rack most unique. I was wondering whether you could share the dimensions of the shelves as well as which type of wood you used and where you got it from and at what cost. Also, do let us know whether or not each shelf is without any joint/splicing.

VERY WELL DONE, KEEP IT uP

Thanks in anticipation. . .

Last edited:
Very, very nice. Love the grain on the wood. However, I would like to add, the rack sorta overwhelms the rest of the equipment, like it no more is the accessory but the principal reason to put the rest of the gear together. IMHO, the rack design could have done with subtlety.

Can I request for a pic from the front so we get a sense of perspective better. This would show the gear and rack together so size, etc., become relative.

Thank you all :) for your encouraging words and the appreciation,

trittya the dimensions of the shelves are 600 x 400 x 50 mm; the rack height is 900 mm. The wood used is pine wood sourced from Pune timber market costing @ Rs. 830/- and they are without any joints / slicing.

hifiashok as mentioned earlier, this is my second rack and needed flexibility, cost was not the factor as i got some of the work done in my factory. I am also contemplating building a dedicated music cum movies room (may take long time though), so getting ready with these small things which are in control.
The rack is presently kept in the bedroom instead of living room or dedicated room and is a temporary set up. I had to remove the AVR and other gears and had to accomodate only the stereo related equipment, as they are not in use due to the temporary arrangements. I will definitely post some more pictures showing gear in detail and also the rack extension (specifically made for TT) :)

Viki Yes its time to catch up. Sonosphere was to visit my place, why dont you guys drop in some time, lets spend some time and listen the analogue (have built some good collection since our last session) and as well plan the next meet.

Best regards.

Congrats. Very nice rack. One q: what is the reason for choosing 1" thick planks? Maybe .5" boards would have made it look more sleek. Just my observation.

^^ the 1 inch is what makes the rack look differnt from all other DIY racks
it is this 1 inch that will help rigidity and reduces sway

otherwise such flexi racks would just be what they are "FLEXi"

Thanks santhol2, just4kix and magma for the kind words :)
The finished thickness of the plank is 1-1/2" (levelled from 2" wooden plate). I have enclosed few more photos for better clarity on the rack.
best regards,

Attachments

• Front View-1.jpg
    Front View-1.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 132
  • Front View-2.jpg
    Front View-2.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 131
  • DSCN4581.jpg
    DSCN4581.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 131
Did u keep onkyo separate from the rack?
Hi kittu1977, since shifting my residence and rig last May, the onk 606 is not in use, neither my wharfedale speakers. Planning a dedicated ht sometime soon.....:) Presently in stereo mode :D
regards.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back