New AVR for old speakers

kishanvkumar

Hi,
I have been having a HTiB (onkyo HT-R320) for over 7 years(sourced from US) and has been serving very well for the needs. Its a 600W Amp with each speaker/sub rated at 100W. Due to power surge, i believe the AVR is shutting down after power on. Will try to repair, but if its of no use, I want to get some options.

1. I am not an audiophile and had been happy with the amp/speakers except for the subwoofer. The woofer was not really kicking in until the volume is very high.

2. In the quest for a new home theatre, can I just buy a new AVR and a new Sub and pair it with existing speakers? and replace the speakers at a later date when budget is there?

3. Will the speakers rated at 100W get damaged due to the new AVR? Is it a good idea to proceed this way of only getting new AVR and SUB or will it be total mismatch?

Room Size : 11 by 19 (but HT setup is on 11 by 10)
Use : 100% movies/HD Cable TV.
Budget : 30K to 35K for AVR and SUB

If the option is ok, could you suggest an AVR and a SUB for the budget. Would like the SUB to kick in at low volumes and provide a neat rumble.

If this is not a good option, can I go with a AVR and bookshelves and SUB(sub is a must :) ). But sadly now the budget is strictly 35K, Was looking Denon 1613, any suggestions for a good sub?

Thanks,

You can use your existing speakers with new AVR. But getting a good avr and sub for 35K is hard. An entry level avr like Yamaha 371 or Denon 1312 will cost around 22-24K. For the remaining price you can buy Astonia sub which has got good reviews.

Thanks for the reply,
Supposing I try to repair the existing AVR, can I get buy a decent active sub at 25K and pair with this receiver?. Do AVR and active sub have a happy marriage? :) Since Sub has its own amplification unit, the AVR just passes the bit stream to sub and the sub does its own magic, or the AVR needs to be of a certain kind for the sub to be felt? Let me know what options do i have.

Thanks.

Connecting active sub to avr without a sub-woofer line out is possible. Most subwoofers have speaker level input, but I am not sure how will they perform in your case.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back