New AVR with front pre-outs.

noblejose

Looking to get an AVR for KEF R series speakers.

Hey There,
I've upgraded my speakers to KEF R300s and R200c (getting r200c this week!). surround will be Q300s. The R300s are powered by Marantz PM7004.

Currently I'm using Onkyo htr-390 (basic model) with Pioneer Andrew Jones series floor stander (LR) + center and surrounds + Onkyo passive sub for movies.

After my speaker upgrade to R series, I felt a big improvement in stereo performance. Naturally, I'm leaning towards making my R300 for movie duties as well... thats when I decided to get R200c center channel.. So I can use same setup for stereo (about 60+ % of my usage) and movies as well.

also thinking about upgrading my AVR now. I'm leaning towards Marantz NR1606; and take left and right pre-outs to Marantz PM-7004 power amp in.. so the load on NR1606 is only towards center channel and surrounds for now. (i'm planning to stick with 5.1 and may add Atmos later to make it 5.1.2).
Since the load on front speakers are out of NR1606, I think it will be good enough to power KEF r200c and q300s(surround)?.

Another thing to note is that, I can't buy a powered sub as of now, so if I move to NR1606, I've to run it without a sub for some time.. If I go with onkyo, i can still use the current onkyo sub; but I've to manually connect speaker cables from onkyo AVR to R300s everytime I switch from stereo to movies - also, I doubt whether it will power R300s, r200c, q300s, and passive sub simultaneously?

What you guys think? should I move up to NR1606 or stick with my onkyo avr now and later go for a more powerful AVR? I also have an idea to get a used SR series Marantz AVR.. maybe SR5008 or so.. but then I will miss-out future atoms upgrade. Expert opinions please..

Thanks!
Noble

Last edited:
Hi

The SR series has all the connectivity required except the older models have no Atmos etc....if you are willing to sacrifice that then it makes sense....else you would need to invest quite a bit...(i too am hunting for a pre owned SR series....Atmos does not really matter so does wifi or bluetooth).

On OLX have seen a couple of ads around marantz SR series....you should check it out....

The NR series is a 7.2 AVR.....if the speakers have Bi Amp connection, you can configure the NR1606 to drive the fronts effective....you still can use 5.1 setup.....

It is your call now depending on what you want and what is the budget.

Looking to get an AVR for KEF R series speakers.

Hey There,
I've upgraded my speakers to KEF R300s and R200c (getting r200c this week!). surround will be Q300s. The R300s are powered by Marantz PM7004.

Currently I'm using Onkyo htr-390 (basic model) with Pioneer Andrew Jones series floor stander (LR) + center and surrounds + Onkyo passive sub for movies.

After my speaker upgrade to R series, I felt a big improvement in stereo performance. Naturally, I'm leaning towards making my R300 for movie duties as well... thats when I decided to get R200c center channel.. So I can use same setup for stereo (about 60+ % of my usage) and movies as well.

also thinking about upgrading my AVR now. I'm leaning towards Marantz NR1606; and take left and right pre-outs to Marantz PM-7004 power amp in.. so the load on NR1606 is only towards center channel and surrounds for now. (i'm planning to stick with 5.1 and may add Atmos later to make it 5.1.2).
Since the load on front speakers are out of NR1606, I think it will be good enough to power KEF r200c and q300s(surround)?.

Another thing to note is that, I can't buy a powered sub as of now, so if I move to NR1606, I've to run it without a sub for some time.. If I go with onkyo, i can still use the current onkyo sub; but I've to manually connect speaker cables from onkyo AVR to R300s everytime I switch from stereo to movies - also, I doubt whether it will power R300s, r200c, q300s, and passive sub simultaneously?

What you guys think? should I move up to NR1606 or stick with my onkyo avr now and later go for a more powerful AVR? I also have an idea to get a used SR series Marantz AVR.. maybe SR5008 or so.. but then I will miss-out future atoms upgrade. Expert opinions please..

Thanks!
Noble

Hi Noble,

If you are looking for an AV Receiver with Pre-Out then there is a mid level AV Receiver model from Yamaha, i.e RX-V781. This is 7.2 160W/Ch ATMOS and DTS-X capable Receiver. Also it has bi-amp capability with 7.2 pre-out which you can use to connect active speakers.

Thanks
Sujit

Hi Noble,

If you are looking for an AV Receiver with Pre-Out then there is a mid level AV Receiver model from Yamaha, i.e RX-V781. This is 7.2 160W/Ch ATMOS and DTS-X capable Receiver. Also it has bi-amp capability with 7.2 pre-out which you can use to connect active speakers.

Thanks
Sujit

Thank you Sujit for your suggestion, hmm... Yamaha is a good suggestion, but I think, in that budget, I will prefer to get the latest Marantz SR5011/ NR1606/07 or Denon AVRX3300 or so...

Hi

The SR series has all the connectivity required except the older models have no Atmos etc....if you are willing to sacrifice that then it makes sense....else you would need to invest quite a bit...(i too am hunting for a pre owned SR series....Atmos does not really matter so does wifi or bluetooth).

On OLX have seen a couple of ads around marantz SR series....you should check it out....

The NR series is a 7.2 AVR.....if the speakers have Bi Amp connection, you can configure the NR1606 to drive the fronts effective....you still can use 5.1 setup.....

It is your call now depending on what you want and what is the budget.

Thank you efernand!
I too keep an eye on OLX for used SR series.. I can postpone Atmos for couple more years as its just started to come true atmos enabled tracks on movies...
Bi Amp; don't need as I'm planning to divert front L/R through my Marantz PM7004 (power amp in) if I get an AVR with pre-outs.

I also got some suggestions by other people to stick with my onkyo now, and get a good powered SUB now! and later go for a proper AVR upgrade.. I am inclined towards this route..

So my plan is to keep my avr, and switch left and right R300 speakers from stereo amp to AVR whenever i need to watch movies. So I can run R300s front left and right, R200c center, Q300s surrounds, and onkyo passive sub connected from my existing ONKYO HTR-390... Does that sounds good?

Many thanks!

Hi

In that case then buy a speaker switcher and use the current AVR....god knows...you may just get a SR series in some time in the near future for a steal deal price!

All the best

Hi,

I would suggest that as well, hold on to your current AVR and go for big upgrade like Anthem.

You would not look for upgrade in a long time with it.

Thanks
Satya

If your budget is more than 100k for AVR then I will suggest you wait for few more months, save more money and look no further than Anthem AVR. You will be more than happy with Anthem AVR than what you have listed and will never turn back in future other than Anthem.You will be addicted to Anthem sound. Seriously Anthem AVR will be a milestone in your Hi-fi journey.

Sent from my Le X507 using Tapatalk

Since u r having good Speakers, I feel it's better to go for Marantz SR5010/5011 or SR6010/6011

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I have put my SR6009 for sale, interested buyers can pm me, thanks

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
You may want to update the title of your post which says 6011, instead of 6009.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back