New gen basic receiver vs old gen high end receiver

This whole avr jargon is quitr confusing. From what little i know the whole chain of hifi shud infact be hifi.. your performance will be limited to the weakest link in your chain.. if i have the latest and greatest avr but my speakers are nit so great my performance will be compromised. If i have the best speakers and my avr is basic entry level, same case again!
I am pretty much going to be using amazon prime netflix and other streamimg services for the most part for my movie watching. Infact right now i dont even have a blu ray player (though i plan to get one) not because ill be getting blu rays but i though i'd play some good english movies thru pen drive.
As suggested an avr shud be future proof. I may be getting an atmos enabled avr but to start off it is going to be 5.1. If in case later down the line i plan to go atmos then what other enhancement i may need outside of the speakers. Like how is the source going to change? Are atmos enabled movies available on Netflix amazon etc.. also if i attach a usb to my br player will it support atmos if the movie file is atmos?

Most of the streaming contents are 5.1,some services are offering Atmos I heard .But those Atmos are by Dolby digital + which is lossy ,If u want to experince Lossles Atmos then Atmos to be rendered through Dolby TrueHD (There is a noticable diffrence between these two ).Blurays have this lossless TrueHD Atmos ,also many Bluray Rips are available. For this you may need to have Bluray Player to play Bluray or an HTPC/Media player to play the Bluray Rips to experience the TrueHD Atmos.
Please let us know your Budget ,so that members can suggest accordinlgy the Speakers and AVR.

I am currently eyeing marantz sr5013 and denon x3500.. speakers i already have polk rti a7's and csi a4.. selecting an avr is like next level s***. So confusing! Was considering 6013 but it was way out of my budget and i guess i wont need 9 channels for atleast 2 to 3 years.. wont invest much in the coming years..

selecting an avr is like next level s***. So confusing!

Keep your choices for the AVR open and not restrict it to popular brands..

I am currently eyeing marantz sr5013 and denon x3500

Between the two, Denon x 3500 is one level higher than that of Marantz SR5013..

Was considering 6013 but it was way out of my budget and i guess i wont need 9 channels for atleast 2 to 3 years.. wont invest much in the coming years..

If you won't invest in the coming years, then good to settle for an AVR that offers maximum features for your money.. Since you are considering Denon x 3500, your budget must be roughly 80 ~ 90K.. It is a 7.2 only AVR.. Capable of 5.2.2 set-up..

An other choice is which you can consider in your budget is the Pioneer LX 303, 9.2 AVR, capable of 7.2.2 (or) 5.2.4 set-up for much less than Denon x 3500.. This gives you the option to add height speakers whenever your wish to..

Right now, the best 9.2 AVR aval in India for abt 70K has to be Pioneer LX 303 & Onkyo TX NR 787, IMO.. Sadly no other brand has any 9.2 AVR in that price segment..

Keep your choices for the AVR open and not restrict it to popular brands..

Between the two, Denon x 3500 is one level higher than that of Marantz SR5013..

If you won't invest in the coming years, then good to settle for an AVR that offers maximum features for your money.. Since you are considering Denon x 3500, your budget must be roughly 80 ~ 90K.. It is a 7.2 only AVR.. Capable of 5.2.2 set-up..

An other choice is which you can consider in your budget is the Pioneer LX 303, 9.2 AVR, capable of 7.2.2 (or) 5.2.4 set-up for much less than Denon x 3500.. This gives you the option to add height speakers whenever your wish to..

Right now, the best 9.2 AVR aval in India for abt 70K has to be Pioneer LX 303 & Onkyo TX NR 787, IMO.. Sadly no other brand has any 9.2 AVR in that price segment..

I am getting marantz sr6013 and denon x3500h almost at the same price. Which one should i choose? I guess extra 2 channels on 6013 wud be a more prudent choice no? Some ppl have suggested that since u might b e getting a separate emotiva 2 channel power amp for music u may get denon as it is more bassy and better for movies.

I am getting marantz sr6013 and denon x3500h almost at the same price. Which one should i choose? I guess extra 2 channels on 6013 wud be a more prudent choice no? Some ppl have suggested that since u might b e getting a separate emotiva 2 channel power amp for music u may get denon as it is more bassy and better for movies.

If you are getting both for the same price, then without a doubt SR 6013 as it offers the most features.. You can aim to complete a 7.1.4 set-up with additional 2 channel power amplifier over time..

Don't forget : Pioneer AVRs currently come with a 2 year warranty. This is huge , especially for something as finicky as an AVR.

BTW, how much does a basic ATMOS ceiling speaker cost?

@rajuisback : So you are in a good position to let FMs know about the build quality.. did the AVR die or did you just upgrade?

Last edited:

No doubt pick the Marantz sr6013 , u will get 11 channel processing and 9 channel amplification ,Music will be better .With additional 2 channel power amp u can do 7.2.4 at the max.
Still if u prefer Denon ,then u can look Denon x4400 or x4500 which offers equivalent spec with an additional feature of Auro3d inbuilt.

No doubt pick the Marantz sr6013 , u will get 11 channel processing and 9 channel amplification ,Music will be better .With additional 2 channel power amp u can do 7.2.4 at the max.
Still if u prefer Denon ,then u can look Denon x4400 or x4500 which offers equivalent spec with an additional feature of Auro3d inbuilt.
Thanks Rajith.
I purchased 6013 :)
God knows will i ever add that many channels :p

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back