New joinee in DIY Arena

That cabinet looks like a coffin :eek: Where did you find that carpenter!! :eek:

Ok as long as you don't sleep in it during the day and emerge at night, I will feel safe. :)

Great going!! You remind me of "Speedy Gonzalves" a cousin of Jerry in Tom'n'Jerry :eek:hyeah: :clapping:

Cheers

Tip: If it doesn't work out you can always convert it into a shoe-rack :eek:hyeah:

Gobble is the Most amazing guy I ever met in any forum :lol: I must agree.

And Yeah... they do look like a coffin as off now.

But I am optimistic ;)

Lets see, if that can deliver what I am looking for.

In between, any comment on the cross over connection?

And whether I can use a tweeter with the full range Bolton driver? I will shield the Tweeter with a capacitor though.

Gobble is the Most amazing guy I ever met in any forum :lol: I must agree.

YeeeeeHaaaw! YeeHaaw! YeHaaaww! "ndale! ndale! Arriba! Arriba!" :eek:hyeah: :lol:

Look here to decipher the above: Speedy Gonzales - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :clapping:

And Yeah... they do look like a coffin as off now.

But I am optimistic ;)

Remember to light candles all around the speakers when you enjoy the music for "mood" lighting :rolleyes: :D

But more seriously, it will look good once closed up and upright :)

Lets see, if that can deliver what I am looking for.

And whether I can use a tweeter with the full range Bolton driver? I will shield the Tweeter with a capacitor though.

Do you have calculations for what capacitor rating to use? What brand of cap are you planning on? You may need a capacitor and something called an L-Pad. Fostex makes some. Google for it.

cheers

Hi Tapas,

There are readymade cross-overs available in the market with different crossover points. Why don't you use one that is suitable to your driver than making them which is much more difficult. I've seen Eminence selling some.

Gobble is the Most amazing guy I ever met in any forum

hi TapasDas1980-

also, Gobble is the most amazing guy you will ever meet - there are not many people like Gobble who walk this earth-

back to earth - about whether you can use a tweeter with the full range Bolton driver -

that particular full-range Bolton has useful output till about 8000 hz -

if you crossover the tweeter at, say, 2500 hz, - then between 2500 hz and 8000 hz you will have two transducers trying to reproduce the same frequencies-

as you can imagine - it would be like two (pitch-imperfect) lady audiophiles screaming their heads off (loudly) about which remote control is the least damaging to their long fingernails.

in other words - it would not work -

if you used a super-tweeter which worked from, say 7000hz to 33000 hz, that might make good music- and sound like mature audiophiles having a quiet conversation.

Iaudio (member of our forum) has a pair of these Bolton full-rangers - if he is not using them, you could beg him for one so that you have a pair to fast-track your project

Last edited:
Hi Rajesh, i am trying to source Eminence 6A mid drivers. Are they available in Chennai? please let me know.

Regards,
Anil

Hi Rajesh, i am trying to source Eminence 6A mid drivers. Are they available in Chennai? please let me know.

Hi Anil,

I met the guy running the dealership some time ago and he said he has stock of not all the items but has good number of items. Will check and get back.

Thanks a lot Sir,

Now I understand the whole point. Just like, if some one tries to manage two wives, right? :lol:

Then what if I use a sub woofer with the full range? Will it not produce more THUMP or low ranges?

If Yes where will I get those cross overs? I am complete novice in electronics. :sad: But going through different books and sites day by day.:cool:

Thanks a lot Rajesh Sir,

It seems that we have a dealer in Chennai.

I will call them today to check if I can order some.

Eminence - The Art and Science of Sound

In between.

My Bolton fullranger is 8" 8 ohm 40watt model 20BF22. Also if I use a woofer along with that, which is 100watt 8 ohm, which type of cross overs shall I use?

In the mean time, please have a look at these cross overs from Ahuja.

C-350/450 : 350W RMS Two-Way Crossover
Type : Two-way crossover
Power Capacity : 350W
Crossover Frequency : 2kHz
Nominal Impedance : 8
Low Pass Filter Slope : 12dB/Octave
High Pass Filter Slope : 18dB/Octave with protection
Dimensions : W187 x H32 x D141 mm
Weight : 0.72kg

C-500/750 : 500W RMS Two-Way Crossover
Type : Two-Way Crossover
Power Capacity : 500W
Crossover Frequency : 1.2kHz
Dimensions :W225 x H35 x D169 mm
Weight : 1.2kg

Kindly suggest if these are OK?

Thanks a lot Sir,

Now I understand the whole point. Just like, if some one tries to manage two wives, right? :lol:

Then what if I use a sub woofer with the full range? Will it not produce more THUMP or low ranges?

If Yes where will I get those cross overs? I am complete novice in electronics. :sad: But going through different books and sites day by day.:cool:

hi TapaDas1980 -

that particular full range Bolton driver has no useful (in room) output below 100hz - the SPL (sound pressure level) falls off rapidly below this, and the subwoofer is called upon to do duty between 30hz and 70 hz - any more than this will entail the use of dual subwoofers - it is best to cut the subwoofer ouput at 60 hz - and get high quality midwoofers which have useful output till about 60 hz (in room).

this way - there will not be disturbing overlap

Thanks a lot Rajesh Sir,

In between.

My Bolton fullranger is 8" 8 ohm 40watt model 20BF22. Also if I use a woofer along with that, which is 100watt 8 ohm, which type of cross overs shall I use?

I'm not an expert in speaker design & crossovers but IMO, Ahuja are known more for PA equipment and so would be their crossovers. I'm not sure about the SQ.

The cross-over frequency would depend on the rollover frequencies of the drivers that are being used.

Now I understand Rajesh Sir.

They are indeed good in PA system.

In the mean time just finished with clucking both my coffin boxes. Courtesy Gobble. :eek:hyeah:

And learned one more information that I need a gun to apply the Silicon gel. He he..

Used Dr.Fixit Silicon gel.

Silicon Gel---Rs. 120
Gun---------Rs. 105
;)

Enjoying the learning..........

Ohhh Ho forgot to mention one thing.

My Wife seems to liked Gobble's idea of turning the coffins into Shoe racks. :lol: She already started to find places where those Coffins can be placed. :sad:

Attachments

• IMG_0067.jpg
    IMG_0067.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 104
Thanks a lot Rajesh Sir,

In between.

both these cross-overs are unsuitable for your application-

Thanks Suri for confirming.

I will go through Eminence - The Art and Science of Sound as suggested by Rajesh Sir. Will post few 2 way crossover's specification here to selection.

From tomorrow, back to office. :sad:

Have to wait till Monday to start over again.

In the mean time, wish you all a Happy Durga Puja and Navaratri. Enjoy.
:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Here the price list for Eminence Crossovers available in chennai.

S.NO MODEL NO HZ UNIT PRICE RS.
1 EMINENCE PX2-3K5 CROSSOVER 3500 4000.00
2 EMINENCE PXB2-3K5 CROSSOVER 3500 1200.00
3 EMINENCE PXB2-5KO CROSSOVER 5000 2000.00
4 EMINENCE PXB2-2K5CX CROSSOVER 2500 1750.00
5 EMINENCE S-3904 CROSSOVER 1600 2700.00

Please suggest me which one I should use for my Bolton Full ranger with a woofer and which shall I use for my previous woofer and tweeter setup.

Thanks in advance.

Here the price list for Eminence Crossovers available in chennai.

S.NO MODEL NO HZ UNIT PRICE RS.
1 EMINENCE PX2-3K5 CROSSOVER 3500 4000.00
2 EMINENCE PXB2-3K5 CROSSOVER 3500 1200.00
3 EMINENCE PXB2-5KO CROSSOVER 5000 2000.00
4 EMINENCE PXB2-2K5CX CROSSOVER 2500 1750.00
5 EMINENCE S-3904 CROSSOVER 1600 2700.00

Please suggest me which one I should use for my Bolton Full ranger with a woofer and which shall I use for my previous woofer and tweeter setup.

Thanks in advance.

Are these original equipment and "phoren" maal or are they Chinese knock-offs? Didnt know one could get these on SP road. :eek:

Happy Durga Pooja and Navaratri and Dussera!! :clapping:

Cheers

Oops, they are really expensive. Didn't know that. You can try Philips crossovers, they would probably be cheaper.

@ gobble, they are really firangi grade maal.:D

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back