New joinee in DIY Arena

TapasDas1980

Hi Gurus,

I have gone through all the discussion thread in this DYI section and all the pages of each discussion. Really speaking, more I am exploring this forum, more I am getting excited. How amazing? When I see daily news paper in the morning, there are people who are after this country to tear it apart and when I log in to this forum, I see the real India, where everyone stood by others. I am sorry if I am getting emotional here. my sincere thanks to all members, like Suri, Captrajesh, gobble, Murli,heamntwage, vivek.saikia, and the list will never end.
:clapping::clapping::clapping: to entire team who made this forum like another world with their dedication.

Today I went to SP Road to get items to build my first project. I tried to kept it as simple as I can.

Bought 2 2" DOME Dainty full range driver. 2 Low range 6" Dainty woofer. Also two local made cheap cabinet to fix them. I asked about cross over but it seems that they don't have good knowledge about them. But at one shop, one elderly person told me that with this kind of cabin and speaker set, I might not need any cross over. But he gave me two capacitor to connect to those Dome drivers.

Came back at home by 3:30 pm and watched Ayodha verdict for 30 min but could not control myself. Hence started my first DIY project and just 10 min back, they are done. I am quite happy about their output. :) But I think I am not in a position about their quality as this is my first project. So if anyone wants to spend some time at my place to hear them and would like to share their thoughts, they are most welcome. Please inform me few days earlier. We can arrange the day and time.

I will post the pictures in my next post.

Hi Gurus,

I have gone through all the discussion thread in this DYI section and all the pages of each discussion. Really speaking, more I am exploring this forum, more I am getting excited. How amazing? When I see daily news paper in the morning, there are people who are after this country to tear it apart and when I log in to this forum, I see the real India, where everyone stood by others. I am sorry if I am getting emotional here. my sincere thanks to all members, like Suri, Captrajesh, gobble, Murli,heamntwage, vivek.saikia, and the list will never end.
:clapping::clapping::clapping: to entire team who made this forum like another world with their dedication.

It is nice that my name is mentioned...thanks...and if is nice the half knowledge I gave you over phone was somewhat useful

BTW - you get cabinets too? any cabinet you swa which can accomdate SINGLE 8 inch driver?Thanks to DR Jaudere ( a DIY speaker enthu) I have 2 * inch hilips fullrange,which I want to test in a good enclosure.

Tapan, this might be the start of something big! Congrats on Doing It Yourself.

I think you are talking about a 2" dome tweeter from Dainty rather than a full ranger driver, and a 6" woofer. But you would need the crossover to split up the respective frequencies to the woofer and tweeter.

Tapan, this might be the start of something big! Congrats on Doing It Yourself.

I think you are talking about a 2" dome tweeter from Dainty rather than a full ranger driver, and a 6" woofer. But you would need the crossover to split up the respective frequencies to the woofer and tweeter.

I am sure that you are right. Lack of my knowledge. :sad: But I am sure that with yours and others guidance one day I would become enough knowledgeable. :)

It is nice that my name is mentioned...thanks...and if is nice the half knowledge I gave you over phone was somewhat useful

BTW - you get cabinets too? any cabinet you swa which can accomdate SINGLE 8 inch driver?Thanks to DR Jaudere ( a DIY speaker enthu) I have 2 * inch hilips fullrange,which I want to test in a good enclosure.

I am sorry to say Hemant, but you would not like to use those enclosures. Wait for my pictures. Then you would understand why I am saying like these.

However, while searching for shops to get cabinet and speakers, I saw one small shop in NR Road, next to Ahuja, which claims that they prepare custom made speaker cabinet. I will visit again there. Because of Ayodha issue, it was closed today. I will keep you posted about this.

Last, it was not only because you talked to me, but because the way I saw you guys sharing information and guiding newbies like me for everything. These is something really commendable.

Today I went to SP Road to get items to build my first project. I tried to kept it as simple as I can.

Bought 2 2" DOME Dainty full range driver. 2 Low range 6" Dainty woofer. Also two local made cheap cabinet to fix them. I asked about cross over but it seems that they don't have good knowledge about them. But at one shop, one elderly person told me that with this kind of cabin and speaker set, I might not need any cross over. But he gave me two capacitor to connect to those Dome drivers.

Came back at home by 3:30 pm and watched Ayodha verdict for 30 min but could not control myself. Hence started my first DIY project and just 10 min back, they are done. I am quite happy about their output. :) But I think I am not in a position about their quality as this is my first project. So if anyone wants to spend some time at my place to hear them and would like to share their thoughts, they are most welcome. Please inform me few days earlier. We can arrange the day and time.

I will post the pictures in my next post.

I will drop by next weekend. Busy this weekend ... ok with that?

Cheers

I will drop by next weekend. Busy this weekend ... ok with that?

Cheers

That would be very good. You can come any day from Monday to Thursday after 5:30 pm and on Friday I have off, so entire day off. :)

In between, I am thinking of gathering some dampening material to fix my poor speakers set. Will keep posted.

Here I go with my small audio paradise. Excuse me for that metal table which I am sure is spoiling the picture and I am fighting hard to get a new DYI table. :)

My Onida DVD Player is connected to Yamaha RX-V465 with a Bandridge Coaxial cable and with a composite video connection to my LG32LD460 LCD TV.

Total Cost:

LCD: 39K(3 months old)
Yamaha AVR : 20.5 + 2% for credit card
2 speakers Box set : Rs 2250

I can provide the break up for the speaker set but as I got all of them from one shop, hence the total. :)

ImageShack Album - 3 images

Journey Begins Here :

Today I consulted with one near by carpenter. After all the explanation, surprisingly, he told me that he will charge me around 1K for 1pair of tower with size range as below.

Hight : 34"
Wide : 12"
Width: 16"

He also told me that per hole, normal charge is at max Rs 50. And there are almost 3 shops available who can do it anytime.

Then went to near by MDF ply shops and after much looking, I get know that for .5" thick good quality ply, I may need to shell out approx Rs 40-60/sqft.

Now I need to get the price for wood. I know this will be bit costly.

Oh I forgot to upload the picture of the kind of tower I am planning. I will upload that in my next post. In the mean time, any suggestion for what kind wood I should use? My plan is to use .5" MDF ply pasted to a .5" wood. Plywood will be the outer part and wood will be inside.

Good News:

Got some dampener from my office. Will post the picture here.

ImageShack Album - 2 images

Please share your thoughts about these.

COMPLETE DISASTER.

Worked only on one box. But to my ear, the sound is not like before. It has lost the punch. I have connected them individually and the other one with out the dampener sound better. At least to me. I will wait till some one else hear the sound and pass comments.

ImageShack Album - 2 images

Tapas - what exactly are you trying to do? If I understand right - you have bought a midwoofer and a tweeter and you are trying to slap them in a readymade box that you bought. Right?
If yes, it does not quite work that way. The box size would depend upon the parameters of the drivers. Do you have the driver params? If not, what you are attempting may not work at all.
Your "dampener" seems fine.
You are using the words plywood and MDF interchangeably. They are both different.
Your to be built towers - I hope they are to be built from a proven design. What drivers are you planning to use - not the drivers you bought I hope - unless a proven design exists that uses the exact same drivers you have.

Last edited:
Yeah it wont work like that. Look at some speaker design plans on the internet to understand the complexities.

Dampening material will only dampen your enthusiasm not the reflected waves. To work with the physics of waves you need damping material. The pink damping material in your pic might introduce pink noise into your system so beware :cool:

Cheers :) :D

Hi Keith and Gobble,

Thanks to both of you and you both are correct. My lack of knowledge is the criminal. :mad: But I am not going to loose heart. I am sticking around to get the ultimate sound I am dream to get. ;)

I have started going through Suri and anilva's discussion and also few others DIY projects.....

Will shoot questions in time to time to bug you gurus.. :)

Dear Shri Das

There is something called T/S parameter which helps in specifying how an enclosure should be dimensioned. You have been well advised by esteemed forum members on this.

However, I would go ahead and build the boxes anyways. This is a way to learn and theorising too much at this stage might put you off. Just dont spend too much money at this moment! Lets face it in the 70s we had no clue on T/S parameters but still build boxes. Some of these actually sounded pretty decent !

Even if you stick to all parameters and design guidelines, there is no guarantee that your build will deliver audio nirvana. Experimentation will provide you a great deal of first hand knowhow. For instance you have already learned that your dampeners have not produced the desired result. You may also face issues with the MDF+Plywood sandwich although it has some advantages too. But soon you will figure out a satisfactory approach by tinkering with these and that is one of the essences of DIY

Speaker building, as with other DIY, can be as complicated as one wants it to be. You need to find an acceptable compromise. So go for it and enjoy the journey, not just the destination.

I know purist Gurus will trash me for this blasphemy, but I will first try to accumulate as much practical tricks before tackling the numbers.

All the best !

Last edited:
Dear Shri Das

There is something called T/S parameter which helps in specifying how an enclosure should be dimensioned. You have been well advised by esteemed forum members on this.

However, I would go ahead and build the boxes anyways. This is a way to learn and theorising too much at this stage might put you off. Just dont spend too much money at this moment! Lets face it in the 70s we had no clue on T/S parameters but still build boxes. Some of these actually sounded pretty decent !

Even if you stick to all parameters and design guidelines, there is no guarantee that your build will deliver audio nirvana. Experimentation will provide you a great deal of first hand knowhow. For instance you have already learned that your dampeners have not produced the desired result. You may also face issues with the MDF+Plywood sandwich although it has some advantages too. But soon you will figure out a satisfactory approach by tinkering with these and that is one of the essences of DIY

Speaker building, as with other DIY, can be as complicated as one wants it to be. You need to find an acceptable compromise. So go for it and enjoy the journey, not just the destination.

I know purist Gurus will trash me for this blasphemy, but I will first try to accumulate as much practical tricks before tackling the numbers.

All the best !

Right way to go!! Hands-on experience and warm-up motivates for the more involved corrections needed later ...

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back