new laptop..

anything but dell. My office purchased some 8-10 dell laptops at various times, over the last couple of years. Every single one of them, the battery has died within 1.5 years. I also know 2-3 others outside of office who have bought dell laptops who have sufferred the same fate. One or two incidents I would have said it's bad luck and all that, but this problem appears to be endemic.

I think this is common amongst my friend's as well. It has failed after an year and before 1.5 years. However my Dell laptop has been going strong for 3 years and still get about 1.5 - 2 hours of battery life. It's my download rig as well. I regularly disconnect the battery from the mains power to allow it discharge and recharge, this way the battery would be fresh and run long.

i have to check dell then

is there any notebooks too available in dell are they better than laptop

i like them coz they are smaller than laptop

i want windows vista,hdmi ,hd and all latest stuffs

though about alienware are they available here in india and starting form what price

i have to check dell then

is there any notebooks too available in dell are they better than laptop

i like them coz they are smaller than laptop

i want windows vista,hdmi ,hd and all latest stuffs

though about alienware are they available here in india and starting form what price

I seriously doubt netbooks will offer HDMI & HD. The reason being they run on Atom processors (Well most) and wouldn't have a good graphics card. I will recommend you to look at the Dell XPS model which are primarily aimed at this high end graphic. XPS also looks and performs good.

Hi Psycho
I agree with you on the battery issues of Dell. Both my cousin and his neighbor had bought Dell 13 inch laptops. Batteries of both the machines died in less then a year. But other cousin of mine who had purchased a DELL from USA had the battery working for for 4 years.
Sony and Toshibas are also fragile.

Hi Psycho
I agree with you on the battery issues of Dell. Both my cousin and his neighbor had bought Dell 13 inch laptops. Batteries of both the machines died in less then a year. But other cousin of mine who had purchased a DELL from USA had the battery working for for 4 years.
Sony and Toshibas are also fragile.

you are right about sony my sony vaio battery died just 6 months from its purchase

Those wanting 802.11n + hdmi out on laptops should wait another 4 to 6 months. Many models are due American Thanksgiving/Christmas shopping season.

After some more research I found the general Internet opinion makers say Atom processors are only suitable for screens below 19" so if you plan to plug a 24" monitor via hdmi out hd video may become jerky.

Look for Nvidia 9400M chipset with intel ULV cpus in the laptop - it will provide the best future proof platform (not including comment on comparable AMD/ATI chipset since I did not research these).

Cheers

PS: Dell XPS13 looks really nice ... for now :)

Those wanting 802.11n + hdmi out on laptops should wait another 4 to 6 months. Many models are due American Thanksgiving/Christmas shopping season.

After some more research I found the general Internet opinion makers say Atom processors are only suitable for screens below 19" so if you plan to plug a 24" monitor via hdmi out hd video may become jerky.

Look for Nvidia 9400M chipset with intel ULV cpus in the laptop - it will provide the best future proof platform (not including comment on comparable AMD/ATI chipset since I did not research these).

Cheers

PS: Dell XPS13 looks really nice ... for now :)

i caaaan wait for 4 to 6 months i'm not in a hurry :)

A friend of mine recently picked up a sony vaio Zseries one. I find it excellent - optimum combination of style and substance! Ultra light carbon fiber body with 2.8Ghz Core2, 500gb hdd and 8gb ram. Unfortunately its uber priced in India. If you have any friends coming down from abroad, they can pickup one discounted online and get it to you.

Cheers.

A friend of mine recently picked up a sony vaio Zseries one. I find it excellent - optimum combination of style and substance! Ultra light carbon fiber body with 2.8Ghz Core2, 500gb hdd and 8gb ram. Unfortunately its uber priced in India. If you have any friends coming down from abroad, they can pickup one discounted online and get it to you.

Cheers.

thanks bro though i don't have any friends abroad but my younger bro in australia but he is not coming before 2011 :sad:

I dont think they are silent. The fan when starts makes enough noise. And people around me have faced issues of overheating laptops once they are a year or so old. Not that desktops dont have any problems but I would any day prefer a laptop if i have to use it sitting at one place. Ofcourse this is only my opinion

i own a vaio model it is very silent... even at 12 at night

they do well till three+ years atleast i guess...one important thing is if u use as desktop replacement...charge batt to 70% remove and run on ups..because batt has 500 cycles .. continuous on power will spoil it in 1.5 year ,even if there is overcharge protection...

for your noise part ,
nevermind i think it depends on model /mfr(mainly).. i have seen overheating...noisy old lappies from compaq,toshiba..
new laptops come with advanced copper pipe/fins heatsink .. many time my laptop runs 24 hrs ..does not heatup at all even near the fan itz cool...starts in 10 sec with vistaHP

Last edited:
Manu why not HP?
See in Jalandhar in all probablity HP service center is there .and anything goes wrong HP covers you like anything -generally no questions asked.

After getting many different service expereinces in India and abrod I rat HP service got # 1 above all!

I generally have 2 laptops at time ( right now I have 3 but 3rd is too old and I am planning to convert into Flac machine!) so think - insted of spending 60 K = on 1lap Buy a netbook for 20 K and another lap for 40 K.

Also ACER is moving fast in market and have timeline laptops which has battery life of 8.5 Hrs!!

.charge batt to 70% remove and run on ups..because batt has 500 cycles .. continuous on power will spoil it in 1.5 year ,even if there is overcharge protection...
i own a vaio model it is very silent... even at 12 at night

they do well till three+ years atleast i guess...one important thing is if u use as desktop replacement...charge batt to 70% remove and run on ups..because batt has 500 cycles .. continuous on power will spoil it in 1.5 year ,even if there is overcharge protection...

for your noise part ,
nevermind i think it depends on model /mfr(mainly).. i have seen overheating...noisy old lappies from compaq,toshiba..
new laptops come with advanced copper pipe/fins heatsink .. many time my laptop runs 24 hrs ..does not heatup at all even near the fan itz cool...starts in 10 sec with vistaHP

Manu why not HP?
See in Jalandhar in all probablity HP service center is there .and anything goes wrong HP covers you like anything -generally no questions asked.

After getting many different service expereinces in India and abrod I rat HP service got # 1 above all!

I generally have 2 laptops at time ( right now I have 3 but 3rd is too old and I am planning to convert into Flac machine!) so think - insted of spending 60 K = on 1lap Buy a netbook for 20 K and another lap for 40 K.

Also ACER is moving fast in market and have timeline laptops which has battery life of 8.5 Hrs!!

yaaa bro you are right about hp but i don't like its design and yaaa acer has some good specs and design too i like acer's design is it vfm product

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:
I generally have 2 laptops at time ( right now I have 3 but 3rd is too old and I am planning to convert into Flac machine!)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back