New McIntosh hybrid tube amp

I am also using the Lyngdorf as a pre and hence the in built DAC with the MA 252...Obviously one of them has to go and if I keep the Mac then would need to buy a DAC as well.... The above video I posted was connected to my trusted 15 year old NAD 521 CDP which I switched on after almost 3 years.. The Lyngdorf DAC and pre is way better sounding with the Mac and the amp just has 5-6 hours of listening as of now.... The shrillness has gone completely... I may have to learn to be patient with tubes and letting them warm up going forward...

I am also using the Lyngdorf as a pre and hence the in built DAC with the MA 252...Obviously one of them has to go and if I keep the Mac then would need to buy a DAC as well.... The above video I posted was connected to my trusted 15 year old NAD 521 CDP which I switched on after almost 3 years.. The Lyngdorf DAC and pre is way better sounding with the Mac and the amp just has 5-6 hours of listening as of now.... The shrillness has gone completely... I may have to learn to be patient with tubes and letting them warm up going forward...

As for the DAC, you have anything in mind if you are going for a new one? I might go for a Denafrips terminator.. nothing decided as of now though...

Sir, baby steps.. I need to convince myself to fork out money for the Mac first.. Then I need to sell the Lyngdorf and only then I think of buying a DAC :) .. But Denafrips is the flavour of the season so can consider that although I wasalways very happy with the Chord DACs and the Qutest is a good DAC at it's price...

@panditji , you have a lovely setup sir. I’d recommend against the Chord DACs especially for your Tannoys. It’s not until you try a DAC that does natural timbre, you’d realize how Chord DACs fall behind in that department (speaking from my personal experience).

I have not heard a Termi. But the impressions on its tonality is all over the place. Some reviews call it warm, while some have described it to be bright (brighter than Chord DACs). I believe someone in Delhi owns one. Perhaps you could try and demo it.

Will do sir.. I have been reading a lot of good stuff about the Terminator and would love to hear one myself... However I believe the job of the DAC is to extract details and information for the 0s and 1s and that it should do to the best of its abilities.. It's the amplifier and the speakers which make it warm or bright...

Detail extraction is the only thing I look for in a DAC and I prefer one which only focusses on that aspect...

@panditji Congrats on the new acquisition, i must say your listening setup looks lovely!
On DACs - They do have a character that influences sound greatly, i recently had an opportunity to hear the Rockna Wavedream R2R Dac, it sounded more like live music than my TT setup :)
I too have heard very good things about Denafrips, i will possibly try them in my setup in the coming months.

Finally got to hear the McIntosh MA 252 in my setup.. It's brand new out of the box and therefore sounds just a little shrill but the dynamics and details are spot on.. I know it's a hybrid amp but wanted to know how long do the tubes take to settle down and will the sound be one a little warmer as it runs in..I have it for the next 2 days and will post my feedback on Monday.. Loving the look, the dynamics and detail extraction with only the shrillness bothering me.. Come to think of it, my Tannoys sounded terrible straight out of the box but mellowed down after about 150 hours or so and then became better and better..
Some pictures for me to show off even though it's on demo only at my house...

Beautiful.

Macintosh and Tannoy have been historically a synergistic pair for their older models. not sure how the new ones are but it sure looks awesome. the older Macs were a lot more warmer although the newer ones are more "Modern" in sound. I remember @Rajiv, mentioning that the new designs bias tubes much higher than before and hence compromises tube life hence do factor that as a recurring cost as well

Thanks Arjun..will research on the Mac forums on it.. the amp has completely opened up after another 5-6 hours of running in and is now giving a hint of the tube sound with SS dynamics and slam. Yesterday evening it showed it's true colours and I am very very pleased with the sound...

Thanks Arjun..will research on the Mac forums on it.. the amp has completely opened up after another 5-6 hours of running in and is now giving a hint of the tube sound with SS dynamics and slam. Yesterday evening it showed it's true colours and I am very very pleased with the sound...
Homer's Sirens (mermaids) are slowly seducing and luring you in :D
Cheers,
Raghu

@panditji Keen to hear your impressions, do post about it

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back