New McIntosh hybrid tube amp

Finally got to hear the McIntosh MA 252 in my setup.. It's brand new out of the box and therefore sounds just a little shrill but the dynamics and details are spot on.. I know it's a hybrid amp but wanted to know how long do the tubes take to settle down and will the sound be one a little warmer as it runs in..I have it for the next 2 days and will post my feedback on Monday.. Loving the look, the dynamics and detail extraction with only the shrillness bothering me.. Come to think of it, my Tannoys sounded terrible straight out of the box but mellowed down after about 150 hours or so and then became better and better..
Some pictures for me to show off even though it's on demo only at my house...

Attachments

• IMG-20200829-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20200829-WA0009.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG-20200829-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20200829-WA0008.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG-20200829-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20200829-WA0007.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 126
  • 1598721018419424545368.jpg
    1598721018419424545368.jpg
    740.5 KB · Views: 125
They are already sounding better than straight out of the box with just 4 hours on them... I did not even know that tubes need to warm up to sound their best... Its the first time I have auditioned a brand new tube based amp and therefore am learning every minute... The shrillness has decreased since when I first put it on... Tomorrow evening should give a better picture as I olan to keep it running...

Tubes are like slow to adapt vampires.
When new or not used for a while they act like they are allergic to daylight or ambient light.
Takes about 30-60 mins of warm up time.
After this they give up on their beauty sleep and start singing like larks.
Cheers,
Raghu
There's a term for it: Masochism!

Finally got to hear the McIntosh MA 252 in my setup.. It's brand new out of the box and therefore sounds just a little shrill but the dynamics and details are spot on.. I know it's a hybrid amp but wanted to know how long do the tubes take to settle down and will the sound be one a little warmer as it runs in..I have it for the next 2 days and will post my feedback on Monday.. Loving the look, the dynamics and detail extraction with only the shrillness bothering me.. Come to think of it, my Tannoys sounded terrible straight out of the box but mellowed down after about 150 hours or so and then became better and better..

Off Topic but i love that Owl in the pic, where did you get it from? I want one :oops:

Thanks.

Hppy to see this in your home. If you are not listening at extreme nearfield, do check your primary and secondary reflection points to see if the shrillness is caused by that. The better your gear, more the details and nuances. Hence acoustics become all the more important.

Congrats on the new amp. That painting creates a beautiful aura in your Hifi room. :cool:

Thank you sir for your kind words but I have not bought the amp as yet.. Still deciding but it seems I might be poorer soon..

Nice amp there! I almost bought it before i finally went for the Sugden masterclass... Do share us your detailed listening impressions. Hopefully, i will also get my new amp next week... But, the thing is i dont have Yggy now..... Need to do the listening with SA8005 for the time being...

Enjoy the music!

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back