New McIntosh hybrid tube amp

Although, there is probably an unhealthy amount of intrigue around PrimaLuna’s DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated lately!

Hey Unleash, Even I have not been immune this effect after seeing Kevin Deal's gushing review on youtube. Many things he says seems to be logical. Have you listened to it ? What are your thoughts ?

If i may chip into your conversation with unleashme..

its a wonderful amp - the primaluna dialog HP Integrated. Had a 1 hour session with it connected to latest Focal Sopra floor standers..at Dubai Audio.

The combination made music and i liked the construction of the amp and it is quite fast as well and less tubey than one would expect but in a nice way.

i havent watched the youtube video but if i had the money ( & room ) and if i did not mind a chinese made product
( i have this thing about made in china - no apologies here ), i would have bought it.

regards

Have you listened to it ? What are your thoughts ?

An old friend of mine is powering his ART Emotion Signatures with a Jeff Rowland Continuum S2. These days, he is toying with the idea of going all tube. We borrowed a DiaLogue Premium HP recently and tried it out in his system. I was impressed. To be honest, I prefer the combination of the ART and PrimaLuna over his Jeff Rowlands; which by the way, as you might know, is no slouch! There's something about the clean and natural warmth of PrimaLuna that appeals to me first and foremost. Added to it, the design features make it a very attractive contender. We are also on the lookout for a Leben CS-600 to audition.

If you don't want the headphone amp ( hp version ), it is cheaper at 3399 $. That is quite an achievement at that price point !!

Panditji,
I have heard Tannoy Turnberry with Luxman 550 (Class A 20W) in Tokyo Yodobashi and it was amazing. I could do an on the fly switching between
Harbeth Compact 73s3 and Turnberry (the old version) the difference was huge . Loved the synergy between two.
May be you can upgrade to Luxman 550 though not sure about the cost difference between McIntosh hybrid and Luxman550.

Hi Renjith, good to hear from you... I agree that the 550AX would be a super match with the Turnberrys.... The cost of both the Mac and Luxman would be the same and I am assuming both have a similar sound.... That is why I am confused and asked if anyone on the forum has heard the new McIntosh amp....

Panditji, Luxman and Mcintosh sound different. Accuphase is closer to Mcintosh sound. To my ears Luxman is a more lively sound. It all comes down to personal preferences

Of course, you must listen to the new Mcintosh amp:)

It’s always great to hear all amps in your consideration list and then take a informed decision.

My post was basis my hearing of Mcintosh, Accuphase and Luxman models of the past. And I have not heard the Mcintosh you are considering. So that too a large extent negates my opinion

If you don't want the headphone amp ( hp version ), it is cheaper at 3399 $. That is quite an achievement at that price point !!

I believe the HP stands for 'High Power' rather than headphone.

HP has 8 tubes... Other versions have 4

Besides the headphone amplifier, as mpw pointed out above, their HP model is also substantially more powerful than the Premium one. A quick comparison from their site.

DP_INT_4.jpg

DP_HP_INT_5.jpg

I'm especially interested in their 'Adaptive AutoBias' feature.

Regardless of the differences, with such quality components, it's indeed an achievement what they have accomplished with these amps. Very commendable.

I believe the HP stands for 'High Power' rather than headphone.

Besides the headphone amplifier, as mpw pointed out above, their HP model is also substantially more powerful than the Premium one. A quick comparison from their site.

DP_INT_4.jpg

DP_HP_INT_5.jpg

I'm especially interested in their 'Adaptive AutoBias' feature.

Regardless of the differences, with such quality components, it's indeed an achievement what they have accomplished with these amps. Very commendable.

Adaptive Auto Bias indeed makes dramatic difference, I've experienced it first hand. Fundamentally it is the servo control mechanism working on real time basis.

Sorry to Interupt the flow ,I have not heard much tube amps except Ayon audio and Torvin and dont have much idea on tube amps . Ayon audio which I ve heard was very nice one. How does Primaluna compares with ayon audio tube amps. Just curious to know.

So my quest to upgrading my Amp, had me considering a Mcintosh.

@panditji I saw the MA252 you mentioned, yesterday, but did not audition it. The reason being, it was an already lengthy audition at the Mcintosh showroom. I will probably do it the next time I am there.
What I did audition was the Mc275 Tube amp/C52 preamp & their newer integrated MA5300 (launched last year), to be honest I was extremely impressed with the integrated. I think the new generation Mcintosh's are special.

Last edited:
McIntosh sounds typical Americian sound with emphasis on both extremes. Luxman is a breed apart, smooth yet detailed.

So my quest to upgrading my Amp, had me considering a Mcintosh.

@panditji I saw the MA252 you mentioned, yesterday, but did not audition it. The reason being, it was an already lengthy audition at the Mcintosh showroom. I will probably do it the next time I am there.
What I did audition was the Mc275 Tube amp/C52 preamp & their newer integrated MA5300 (launched last year), to be honest I was extremely impressed with the integrated. I think the new generation Mcintosh's are special.

I would still be interested in listening to a tube mcIntosh amp. Will check with Vinay Arora about the owners in Delhi... Would be great if you could also post your listening impressions as and when you get a chance to hear them...

@heliumflight I disagree, Ive had lengthy auditions of quite a few high end Integrated Amps, and id rate the Macintosh right up there with the top ones.

@panditji the Mc275 is their Tube power amp, Its a Stereophile Class A recommended component forever. I actually went there exclusively to listen to it, it sounds fabulous on vocals, string instruments and percussion. But it can't keep up for modern fast paced music - techno & music like Massive Attack are ruled out.
I guess that is the same with any Tube Amps, I had a similar experience with the Line Magnetic. So it is a solid state for me next.

Last edited:
http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Prod...ils.aspx?CatId=integratedamps&ProductId=MA252

Need feedback on this beauty as and when someone is able to audition it....

I heard a couple of tracks at BestBuy when in Denver on memorial day. I noted it was some $3.4K type price and touched the vol control a little reverently (no remote around the display unit)

It was hooked up to a BD player and playing through KEF LS50*

The set up (BS speakers not on a stand!) and positioning (huge 4k glass) and no seating. And in a big box store.

I was trying to get a handle on the speakers really and listened to Do it again and Dirty Work. I paid no attention almost to the amp or source.

I did not start hearing new things or feeling stuff. I run my pre amp without the tube buffer (I've got only the stock i'm told POS tubes). Nothing felt any different. Is that a bad thing ? Well with all that green glow I half expected some tube magic but nothing happened for me. No feet tapping, no Fagen sneering silently that type of thing. I preferred the Vidar Saga thing over this.

This was a very brief session in sub optimal conditions but nothing grabbed me. I'm easily impressed and even then.

ciao
gr
* heartbreak. they were out of box and available for $900. There was no way I could carry it to my hotel in CA and then onwards to base in Hyd. Couldn't buy a thrill :(

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back