New Member Pandamaudio - Genelec India Distributor

Pandamaudio

Hi All,

I just registered on this interesting forum as a commercial member. To introduce myself, I am Prashant Damle and my company Pandam Professional Audio is the exclusive distributor of Genelec active loudspeakers for Commercial Install and Custom Home Install for India.

I started in 1991 manufacturing entry level hi-fi and home passive loudspeaker systems and marketed them countrywide in India for more than a decade. In 2000 I was introduced to amazing active loudspeaker technology from Genelec OY - Finland and after using them in my install projects for a few years, I eventually began distributing Genelec systems countrywide in India after setting up a state of the art showroom in Mahim - Bombay a few years ago.
PANDAM Professional Audio

I look forward to be involved in this interesting forum and participate in discussions and contribute and learn from you all

Thanks & Regards - Prashant Damle

Hi pandamaudio, welcome to hifivision. I have listened to pandam systems as they were very popular in restaurants a few years ago. They used to sound very good, especially the ones similar to the Bose jewelcubes. Nice to know more about your product range:)

Welcome Prashanth. Since you have been manufacturing speakers, it will be really nice to get some serious article from you on speaker technology.

Cheers

Prashant
I've been to the Estate lots of times, but never entered your premises....
Always wondered what kind of equipments you dealt with.....
Can you give us some details of your range of speakers with prices???

Regards

No they are not same ,I dont know either of Prashat personally,but read they are different.

hi Prashanth/pandamaudio

i have used the pandam speakers for quiet a while

have owned a few of your speakers
pair of BS (triangular shaped 2 way) still have them in a seperate set up.

sub sat (passive) ,this is now used as the back sorrounds in my HT.

A massive active subwoofer 12",this did a splendid job and and was in fact better then many impoted brands of similar price range, hated to sell but had to make space, have never come across such a solidly built and heavy sub in that price range , this sub served me for 10+ years

Recently did hear a genelac active sub/sat @ music ranch ,bangalore, very impressive sound for its size ,the roundish sub looked very stylish, am sure the other bigger active speakers must be rockingly good. these speakers definetly need to be heard in better room

Last edited:
By the by, if my knowledge serves me right, Pandam is on the same floor as Mr. Bajaj's NORGE.

Prashant, many [make that many many many] moons ago, I visited your home [@ Dadar, I think] looking for speakers and was impressed by your take on the Bo$e sub/sats. Of course, at that age - sound didn't matter so much as looks. :)

Hi Prashant,

Do you have the latest Genelec 8260A on demo? Have been hearing in the gossip circles that it beats the performance of the latest B&W Nautilus! Is this the case? Would love to check it out at your showroom someday.

Hi Prashant,

Do you have the latest Genelec 8260A on demo? Have been hearing in the gossip circles that it beats the performance of the latest B&W Nautilus! Is this the case? Would love to check it out at your showroom someday.

I can feel the flame throwers being primed!

Hi Prashant
You still make Pandam branded speakers????
I had your very small bookshelves...very good sound...

Thanks to you all for the warm and friendly welcome and good wishes. I am happy to see so many comments and questions.

Santhosh - Those were some of the entry level passive speaker systems I used to manufacture. Those were interesting early years where nothing much was easily available. Since I was no rocket scientist electroacoustics engineer, I designed that sub-sat speaker system through 'trial & error' with the only decent woofer, midrange & tweeter drivers available at the time from Peerless India. It was economical to make and sounded pretty good for its time and it sold huge quantities into homes and restaurants. During those days, we could not even get proper test and measurement equipment we have now a days. Eventually the Indian market opened up to global business and those models became history. These days, we don't manufacture them anymore, but we have a substantial parts inventory to service the speaker systems sold.

Venkat - You seem to be the guru on this forum. I will be happy to put forth and contribute whatever I can. What kind of article would you like me to do?

Denom / Spirovious / Keith - Since you are from Mumbai, its easy for you guys to drop by at my showroom. I have designed and build this CID/RFZ room myself, with a lot of effort, and I am certain you wont be disappointed when you check it out. I will be happy to discuss about the products, technologies and prices when you visit. Hope to see you here soon. I am not the film actor guy for sure! My showroom is in the same corridor as Norge on the 2nd floor of Hammersmith Industrial Estate, Narayan Pathare Street, Sitladevi Temple Road, Mahim, Bombay 400016

Subhash - Nice to hear from a satisfied customer. Thanks for buying my products and noticing and appreciating their finer quality details. When that active subwoofer was being manufactured which was much before the millennium Y2K, it was an interesting time for Pandam. We were deciding which way to take the business. We were asking ourselves, what kind of company we wanted to be in the future. Should we copy famous international speaker systems like almost all local companies were doing? Should we plough lots of money into R&D to develop our own special technologies? Or should we do neither and simply market & install a famous international brand? We studied how all the struggling local speaker companies were doing and then arranged visits to top international speaker companies and studied their operations carefully. We concluded that to be a long term successful manufacturer, we would need to first develop the finest loudspeaker and electronics technologies from scratch and/or collaborate with some big company, develop all the necessary manufacturing technologies to build these efficiently and cost effectively, and finally develop a massive marketing system to sell them. All these three stages had to be perfect for the manufacturing plan to be successful. As I was too small a player in the loudspeaker business, I deemed it quite impossible for me to do all that in India at the time. Now a days things have improved considerably! Since Genelec was perhaps the only company at that time, who we thought, got the whole act perfectly right, we decided to try and do some business with them. It worked well and we are glad to have made the choice we did. We are looking for dealers all over India and hope to have a great demo room in Bangalore like the one in Mumbai. Hopefully you will get to audition Genelec speaker systems locally in Bangalore when it happens.

HiFi - We received the first pair of 8260A last month and was able to show it only for one whole week before we sold it, which was faster than we expected. We did invite a few audiophiles to check them out at our showroom. Unfortunately the factory in Finland is unable to supply immediately due to its high demand. So it will be a while till we get a new consignment. Its difficult to say which is better as I have never listened to a properly setup Nautilus. If one wants to test and compare the Nautilus, they must first be capable of calibrating its external electronics properly which is not something any owner would allow just anyone to do. The Genelec 8260A has a fully automated computerised setup which can easily and quickly setup and calibrate it accurately for reference performance. So it all depends how these tests and comparisons are done. Its unfair to compare them unless both have been accurately setup and calibrated. Have not heard anything officially about such comparison. If anyone is interested in listening to the 8260A immediately, we could plan a convinient date and ask our customer to lend it to us on that day for audition. I can be contacted on mobile +91 9867345336 for the same

Psychotropic - Around 1995, We had an OEM arrangement with EVI Audio India to build the Electro-Voice T251 which used a 15 inch bass driver and a horn loaded compression driver to form a sweet sounding efficient compact two way system for small bands. To complement this we built the Electro-Voice deltamax 2181 dual 18 inch woofer compact sub which put out very deep bass at huge SPL. Our replacement for the huge traditional W BIN was the Electro-Voice T18 compact folded horn subwoofer which was half the size of the W BIN, played deeper and louder. All sound reinforcement companies began copying these subwoofer designs, so we discontinued that business by the year 2003

Last edited:
Venkat - You seem to be the guru on this forum. I will be happy to put forth and contribute whatever I can. What kind of article would you like me to do?

At the outset, let me thank you on behalf of HFV and all the members for the wonderful reply to all points raised.

I would consider articles on three or four scales:

1. System matching. What happens when we are looking at amplifier pumping power at a certain impedance, and we connect speakers with a different impedance. And of course the whole paraphernalia of sensitivity, cabinet volume, driver size, crossover, etc.

2. Some simple to understand information on evolution of components and material used for drivers.

3. For DIY guys, the way to choose parts and what to look out for when making speakers themselves.

4. Some eye openers on speaker burn in. Does it happen at all, and if so, why?

If you are ready and able, let me know and we can make these article sticky.

Cheers

Thanks to you all for the warm and friendly welcome and good wishes. I am happy to see so many comments and questions.

Santhosh - Those were some of the entry level passive speaker systems I used to manufacture. Those were interesting early years where nothing much was easily available. Since I was no rocket scientist electroacoustics engineer, I designed that sub-sat speaker system through 'trial & error' with the only decent woofer, midrange & tweeter drivers available at the time from Peerless India. It was economical to make and sounded pretty good for its time and it sold huge quantities into homes and restaurants. During those days, we could not even get proper test and measurement equipment we have now a days. Eventually the Indian market opened up to global business and those models became history. These days, we don't manufacture them anymore, but we have a substantial parts inventory to service the speaker systems sold.

Denom / Spirovious / Keith - Since you are from Mumbai, its easy for you guys to drop by at my showroom. I have designed and build this CID/RFZ room myself, with a lot of effort, and I am certain you wont be disappointed when you check it out. I will be happy to discuss about the products, technologies and prices when you visit. Hope to see you here soon. I am not the film actor guy for sure! My showroom is in the same corridor as Norge on the 2nd floor of Hammersmith Industrial Estate, Narayan Pathare Street, Sitladevi Temple Road, Mahim, Bombay 400016

Subhash - Nice to hear from a satisfied customer. Thanks for buying my products and noticing and appreciating their finer quality details. When that active subwoofer was being manufactured which was much before the millennium Y2K, it was an interesting time for Pandam. We were deciding which way to take the business. We were asking ourselves, what kind of company we wanted to be in the future. Should we copy famous international speaker systems like almost all local companies were doing? Should we plough lots of money into R&D to develop our own special technologies? Or should we do neither and simply market & install a famous international brand? We studied how all the struggling local speaker companies were doing and then arranged visits to top international speaker companies and studied their operations carefully. We concluded that to be a long term successful manufacturer, we would need to first develop the finest loudspeaker and electronics technologies from scratch and/or collaborate with some big company, develop all the necessary manufacturing technologies to build these efficiently and cost effectively, and finally develop a massive marketing system to sell them. All these three stages had to be perfect for the manufacturing plan to be successful. As I was too small a player in the loudspeaker business, I deemed it quite impossible for me to do all that in India at the time. Now a days things have improved considerably! Since Genelec was perhaps the only company at that time, who we thought, got the whole act perfectly right, we decided to try and do some business with them. It worked well and we are glad to have made the choice we did. We are looking for dealers all over India and hope to have a great demo room in Bangalore like the one in Mumbai. Hopefully you will get to audition Genelec speaker systems locally in Bangalore when it happens.

HiFi - We received the first pair of 8260A last month and was able to show it only for one whole week before we sold it, which was faster than we expected. We did invite a few audiophiles to check them out at our showroom. Unfortunately the factory in Finland is unable to supply immediately due to its high demand. So it will be a while till we get a new consignment. Its difficult to say which is better as I have never listened to a properly setup Nautilus. If one wants to test and compare the Nautilus, they must first be capable of calibrating its external electronics properly which is not something any owner would allow just anyone to do. The Genelec 8260A has a fully automated computerised setup which can easily and quickly setup and calibrate it accurately for reference performance. So it all depends how these tests and comparisons are done. Its unfair to compare them unless both have been accurately setup and calibrated. Have not heard anything officially about such comparison. If anyone is interested in listening to the 8260A immediately, we could plan a convinient date and ask our customer to lend it to us on that day for audition. I can be contacted on mobile +91 9867345336 for the same

Psychotropic - Around 1995, We had an OEM arrangement with EVI Audio India to build the Electro-Voice T251 which used a 15 inch bass driver and a horn loaded compression driver to form a sweet sounding efficient compact two way system for small bands. To complement this we built the Electro-Voice deltamax 2181 dual 18 inch woofer compact sub which put out very deep bass at huge SPL. Our replacement for the huge traditional W BIN was the Electro-Voice T18 compact folded horn subwoofer which was half the size of the W BIN, played deeper and louder. All sound reinforcement companies began copying these subwoofer designs, so we discontinued that business by the year 2003

Man! You are one guy whom I admire. Your speakers were quite rocking at the entry level. Still are, actually.

Plus, I've heard the Genelec's in some of the audio studio's. Simply super!

In fact, when I have a budget for my office space, I wanna put up a active pair, via a phono stage into the Vinyl player.

Would be lovely me-thinks!

Denom / Spirovious / Keith - Since you are from Mumbai, its easy for you guys to drop by at my showroom. 3

Thanks for invitation,
I saw your outlet from outside when I last visited Norge.I wanted to drop in,but was in Hurry.I will visit next time.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back