New Member Pandamaudio - Genelec India Distributor

Hi Prashant,

I knew about Genelec, but I just visited your site, and I was surprised to see Denon and KEF also present. Actually I'm torn between a toss up of going the amp/speaker route or active route and was thinking of these two brands among others. I'm also tentatively looking at a Denon or Cambridge Audio CDP, so welcome again - you'll certainly be of help to me :)

Hi Prashant,

Nice to have you in this forum.

I recently heard a Pandam bookshelf speaker which was like 15 years old. The bookshelf body was showing signs of aging but the sound coming out of those speakers was pretty decent considering the fact that they were about 15 years old and made in India (at that time).
I think I missed the Pandam showroom when I visited the Norge workshop. Anyways, I will definitely pay a visit to your showroom and check out the collection.
I just wanted to know if you still sell custom made speakers or you just deal with only imported stuff?

Cheers!
Vivek

Hi Prashant,

I knew about Genelec, but I just visited your site, and I was surprised to see Denon and KEF also present. Actually I'm torn between a toss up of going the amp/speaker route or active route and was thinking of these two brands among others. I'm also tentatively looking at a Denon or Cambridge Audio CDP, so welcome again - you'll certainly be of help to me :)

Hey man, if you're considering active speakers, you oughtaa listen to Genlec. It is quite mindblowing for the money one pays. have heard 'em in a sound studio. very very satisfying.

Once again, thank you all for the warm and friendly welcome and good wishes. More replies

Hemant / Vivek - Nice to hear from satisfied customers and thanks for buying my products. I wonder which bookshelf models you are referring to as there were several early versions. Perhaps you should send me a photo to [email protected] . Our last Pandam bookshelf was launched in 1999 and used a special version of the Peerless SKO-130 which was a 6 ohm 130mm bass driver and the Peerless 25mm SR-10DT soft dome tweeter. We actually tried to develop this vented 80 watt speaker system model in three phases. The first phase was to develop it as a simple high quality two-way passive speaker system with an on-axis flat frequency response from 50Hz to 20kHz. The second phase was to upgrade it with the Peerless 25mm aluminum dome tweeter newly developed at that time and seat it in a large waveguide to reduce edge diffraction and provide constant directivity. The third phase was to make the speaker bi-amp active. The first phase happened quite easily and was a massive success when launched in the local market. But we ran into huge technical difficulties developing the second and third phase, so they never did make it to production. But the learning experience made us respect the highly developed waveguide solutions Genelec was already using successfully, for addressing edge diffraction & constant directivity, and their special driver-specific negative impedance compact amplifier design, and their clever active crossovers allowing for all the necessary compensations. It turned out to be too complicated a project for our small little team with limited capability, to handle. We finally stopped all speaker manufacturing in 2007.

Vandal - and all who have kindly responded, please do not hesitate to visit my showroom whenever you can. I will be happy to help you with any advice you need. Do phone me in advance on +91 9867345336 to make sure I will be there when you visit.

Venkat - That's a lot of work to develop those kind of technical articles. I will try and work on them when I have the time and will let you know when I have put something together that's interesting and informative.

Subhash / Malvai - Glad to hear you think well of the active speaker concept. Over the years we have had mostly praises, but there have also been many critics who don't believe that a well designed active studio monitor can serve the purpose as a proper sound reproduction device fit for audiophiles and perfectionists. They have never been able to put up a convincing technical explanation why. But then, you win some, you loose some.

Once again, thank you all for the warm and friendly welcome and good wishes. More replies

Hemant / Vivek - Nice to hear from satisfied customers and thanks for buying my products. I wonder which bookshelf models you are referring to as there were several early versions. Perhaps you should send me a photo to [email protected] . Our last Pandam bookshelf was launched in 1999 and used a special version of the Peerless SKO-130 which was a 6 ohm 130mm bass driver and the Peerless 25mm SR-10DT soft dome tweeter. We actually tried to develop this vented 80 watt speaker system model in three phases. The first phase was to develop it as a simple high quality two-way passive speaker system with an on-axis flat frequency response from 50Hz to 20kHz. The second phase was to upgrade it with the Peerless 25mm aluminum dome tweeter newly developed at that time and seat it in a large waveguide to reduce edge diffraction and provide constant directivity. The third phase was to make the speaker bi-amp active. The first phase happened quite easily and was a massive success when launched in the local market. But we ran into huge technical difficulties developing the second and third phase, so they never did make it to production. But the learning experience made us respect the highly developed waveguide solutions Genelec was already using successfully, for addressing edge diffraction & constant directivity, and their special driver-specific negative impedance compact amplifier design, and their clever active crossovers allowing for all the necessary compensations. It turned out to be too complicated a project for our small little team with limited capability, to handle. We finally stopped all speaker manufacturing in 2007.

Vandal - and all who have kindly responded, please do not hesitate to visit my showroom whenever you can. I will be happy to help you with any advice you need. Do phone me in advance on +91 9867345336 to make sure I will be there when you visit.

Venkat - That's a lot of work to develop those kind of technical articles. I will try and work on them when I have the time and will let you know when I have put something together that's interesting and informative.

Subhash / Malvai - Glad to hear you think well of the active speaker concept. Over the years we have had mostly praises, but there have also been many critics who don't believe that a well designed active studio monitor can serve the purpose as a proper sound reproduction device fit for audiophiles and perfectionists. They have never been able to put up a convincing technical explanation why. But then, you win some, you loose some.

Their loss man!
I am a fan though. Soon, someday soon!
But, nevertheless will pop in one of these days to say hi and chat up, if that's fine with you.

Hemant / Vivek - Nice to hear from satisfied customers and thanks for buying my products. I wonder which bookshelf models you are referring to as there were several early versions. Perhaps you should send me a photo to [email protected] .

Hi,

I was talking about these:

The owner said the speakers were having peerless drivers and has 50watt power handling per channel. Although no label or stickers were there on the speaker to verify it's origin, but the owner said that these are from Pandam.

Thanks again to all, for the warm welcome and kind regards.

Vivek - Unfortunately that speaker in the photo is not a Pandam product. Those drivers are from Peerless India though. We never had any model with a vertically mounted tweeter like the one in the photo. Also the wooden cabinet joints are clearly visible which is unlike our quality standards. There were many companies that eventually tried to build Pandam look alike speaker systems, and sell them as Pandam products, so this may just be one such spurious product.

Thanks again to all, for the warm welcome and kind regards.

Vivek - Unfortunately that speaker in the photo is not a Pandam product. Those drivers are from Peerless India though. We never had any model with a vertically mounted tweeter like the one in the photo. Also the wooden cabinet joints are clearly visible which is unlike our quality standards. There were many companies that eventually tried to build Pandam look alike speaker systems, and sell them as Pandam products, so this may just be one such spurious product.

i have the same model as the above pic by vivek, let me chk on it and get bak, will post a pic too

i guess these were sold as a passive sub/ sat combo

Hi,

I was talking about these:

The owner said the speakers were having peerless drivers and has 50watt power handling per channel. Although no label or stickers were there on the speaker to verify it's origin, but the owner said that these are from Pandam.

Hi Vivek
That bookshelf in the picture is made by DNM (sakinaka, mumbai). They also used Peerless drivers.

Hi Prashant
Welcome to hifi
I doubt if you will remember me :)
Had come to you maybe 8 to 10 years back looking for a sub. At that time had no knowledge about active, passive subs and how are they to be connected
I had purchased 2 passive subs from you. As a youngster I was also behind big bass but did not realize my amp will have trouble handling 2 passive subs as a single sub is designed to be used with both the channels and with sats.
Unfortunately one of them is still lying unused since all these years.
Whenever possible would love to come and audition the Genelac active speakers

Hi Rikhav, sorry I am unable to place you, as it was a long time ago, but I am sure I will recognise you if I see you. Yeah, those speakers are probably from DNM. You are all welcome to visit my showroom whenever you like. Thanks again to you all for all the good wishes.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back