new or used onkyo ta-rw255 tape deck

nambi112

Hi to all,

I am looking to buy onkyo model no.ta-rw-255. I am in bangalore and one shop in bangalore says it will cost Rs.17500/-. I am looking for this model because i checked up with onkyo service and they are advicing to used or new this model only because spares are available. Lot of used tape decks from diffrent companies are being sold but if it goes wrong you will end u having a tape deck without service.

In addition, phillips has introduced a audio system rip it all. this can be used to convert your casettes to mp3. has anybody used it. share your views. If any specific thing ,pls send pm.

I request forum members to advice me.

paddy
Bangalore

Do not buy any Onkyo make products. I purchased TA RW 255 in USA, from day one the right channel was not working. Hyd Onkyo could not repair it, Onkyo support could not help me. Last week i got it repaired in Hyd, costed me 2k.

Great idea to stay away from the newer plasticy cassette decks from all major manufacturers. They lack the quality of the older ones and are built for use and throw away. Be on the look out, with some patience, and knowledge (read a lot online), you can land up with a very good pre-used cassette deck which will serve you faithfully for a long time.

Hi to all,

I am looking to buy onkyo model no.ta-rw-255. I am in bangalore and one shop in bangalore says it will cost Rs.17500/-. I am looking for this model because i checked up with onkyo service and they are advicing to used or new this model only because spares are available. Lot of used tape decks from diffrent companies are being sold but if it goes wrong you will end u having a tape deck without service.

In addition, phillips has introduced a audio system rip it all. this can be used to convert your casettes to mp3. has anybody used it. share your views. If any specific thing ,pls send pm.

paddy
Bangalore

I saw one in the For Sale forum a few days ago. You can check it out with the seller.
Not sure what kind of advice you are looking for. Here is my .02: Unless you have a large collection of tapes that you cannot either find in CD format or too expensive to replace with CD, you should not venture in to buying a cassette deck. Or you should be willing to put up with the risk which is worth while if you have enough investment in cassettes.

Hi to all,

paddy
Bangalore

Hi Paddy,
I have been using the RW 255 for the last 4 years and have no complaints whatsoever.If you have a large collection of self recorded cassettes or even pre recorded tapes,then it's well worth buying it, especially since it can be serviced if the need arises. If you really like LISTENING to music,then don't waste your time converting your tapes to MP3 or whatever.If the original recordings were good, then there is no difference in the SQ anyway.Check the price though.Cheers,
Sanjay

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back