New speaker build - Altec/Onken

@anilva,them speakers are lookin mighty good there :licklips:.am sure they sound fabulous!!!would love to get a listen sometime,if i may impose :).cheers

The Speakers are awesome...
I am sure these would rock as they have since ages at various legendary rock concerts..

The Speakers are awesome...
I am sure these would rock as they have since ages at various legendary rock concerts..

Thanks for the compliments. Yes these sound quite powerful, while also being tremendously efficient.

I got the opportunity to audition these last month, and they do sound very nice

Thanks George. It was great having you over for the audition. I might have tried showing you too many things instead of focussing one one thing.

Cheers.

Anilva how would you rate the speaker DIY for your AV receiver?

I am an absolute near zero and would love to have atleast a pair of DIY speakers to taste the real punch!

1.What would you suggest?

2.What do i need to do/procure /read to start from the very basics of audio world to be able to succesfully complete a DIY project for an AV receiver of the GENRE of YAMAHA RXV 667?

3.Dont dissapoint by saying no because am really really interested in DIY speaker set up.
[NO,as in "i wont be able to and stuff" LOLz.]

4.Hope you understand the level of Enthusiam in me.
Am starting a Thread for the same,so that it would be helpful for others as well.Will post the link to it here.

Thank you,would appreciate if you help and make me realise my dream DIY.

Last edited:
Great stuff! May I invite myself to your place for a listen one of these weekends? :D

Cheers

Abyshines

To do a decent diy speaker system, first of all do some basic reading and figure out what kind of system attracts you-size, drivers, efficiency, room size and budget are all factors that will influence your final decision. Suffice it to say that there is a whole lot of information on the internet that is available.

Thank you George,guess what i am doing the home work already.

George would love to ask you a question,Is it worth having a succesfull Diy speaker set up in terms of performance even when price is not much of an issue?

Can a decent DIY be justified against the Copmpany speakers ?

I mean,dont wanna repent later!

Thank you George,guess what i am doing the home work already.

George would love to ask you a question,Is it worth having a succesfull Diy speaker set up in terms of performance even when price is not much of an issue?

Can a decent DIY be justified against the Copmpany speakers ?

I mean,dont wanna repent later!

George has already answered you. For the commercial vs. DIY speakers, I would recommend a commercial speaker, if you are a beginner. If you want to try out the first few builds and not have great expectations, then try DIY. After you get some confidence, then you can plan a good DIY build, which will outperform a commercial speaker very easily. Of course you need to keep in mind budgets. High end commercial speakers are not easy to be outperformed.

+1 to Anil's post. Diy is a trial and error process, but a good diy speaker can easily outperform a commercial product. One hurdle for us here in India is that speaker driver options are limited here. I have had to get all of my drivers from the US-Scanspeak, Raven. Focal, Fostex Audax. All these are not cheap, but way ahead, preformance wise of the local ones.

Abyshines-in my view a high end DIY will easily outperform a commercial product costing as much.

In general, a commercial product may not have more than about 40-50%( sometimes even less) of it's list price as the actual parts cost(material cost) whereas this is 100% for DIY. Naturally one has to scout around to get a good diy design, and that requires some research-however there are many good designs available. FYI, floor standers Vs stand mounted is a simple choice, 2 ways Vs full range is another. Your amp may also narrow down your options.

I am going slow withthe research part to understand things better,Already started hunting for proper equipments like a router and a table saw.
Guess have other implications for the purchase of tools as well in the long run.LOlz

Will keep on seeking help from you time to time.

I visited anilva last weekend and got to listen to the Altec-Onken's and was hugely impressed. Frankly, when I saw the size of the speaker (HUGE!!) and especially the horn tweeter, I was expecting to experience fatigue especially since Anil had mentioned earlier in this thread that this pair of speakers were meant to entertain an audience of ~500. But there was zero fatigue, just smooth highs from the speakers. The 15 inch drivers produced not only good lows but also great mids!! Sound signature is very cinema like and I specially enjoyed listening to Bollywood numbers on this one.:).

I also listened to Anil's other DIY gear:
  • Fostex Back Loaded Horn Full range speakers paired with his DIY Nelson Pass F5 amp
  • Tone Tubby & Fostex open baffle speakers powered by Emotiva XPA-5
  • Dual 12 inch subwoofer in a sealed box powered by a Crown PA amp (modded??). Listened to these subs paired with the Altecs.

If I had to choose my favourite, it would have to be the the Fostex BLH - Nelson F5 combo. Very musical and best full range speakers I have heard thus far.

I came back fully inspired to start a DIY speaker build, but that will have to wait until I complete my DIY sub.

Thanks Anil for being a great host and sharing your DIY creations with me. Like George often says, your home is indeed an Alibaba's cave - what with the inumerable PCs, countless turntables, gadgets and all those AV goodies:licklips:. Hats off to your passion and efforts... they clearly show in your build:cheers:.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back