New speaker build - Altec/Onken

Congratulation Anilva, these look amazing and can only wonder about the sound.
Do let us know when you are ok with bearing the discomfort of having us come over for a listen :) .If possible, i am definitely looking forward to hearing this !

This thread led me to fair amount of reading about the Le'Cleach horn and I must say you have made a superb choice going with this horn profile.

They look gorgeous atop the Onkens, do they blend well with Speyside malts as well?:thumbsup:

Hi,

Anil,when Santosh is back you should listen to his Lyrita DHT pre with the F5's and Altecs at your place.

I am betting the sound will be to your liking.:)

Regards
Rajiv

Hi Rajiv,
Srini is ordering the DHT Pre too. He mentioned it was a very good addition to his system and that you guys (Capt, yourself & Srini) tried the Lyrita Pre with his Quicksilver Monos->Thiel 1.7s.

Anil,
Eager to hear your system with the recent changes, have read so much about the Azura Le'Cleach and moreso the version designed by Lynn Oslon, will get to hear it finally. Please plan a small meet at your place preferably after 21-Dec (when I am back from SG :)). Happy to bring the Lyrita Pre along.

it would be great to hear it with the Pass labs as well as the SET !

Hi Rajiv,
Srini is ordering the DHT Pre too. He mentioned it was a very good addition to his system and that you guys (Capt, yourself & Srini) tried the Lyrita Pre with his Quicksilver Monos->Thiel 1.7s.

Anil,
Eager to hear your system with the recent changes, have read so much about the Azura Le'Cleach and moreso the version designed by Lynn Oslon, will get to hear it finally. Please plan a small meet at your place preferably after 21-Dec (when I am back from SG :)). Happy to bring the Lyrita Pre along.

Santhosh,

I will coordinate with you for a listening session after your return.

Cheers.

This thread led me to fair amount of reading about the Le'Cleach horn and I must say you have made a superb choice going with this horn profile.

They look gorgeous atop the Onkens, do they blend well with Speyside malts as well?:thumbsup:

TJ,

I am not a hardcore speaker designer like you, but I have gone by recommendation of Lynn Olson for the horn. While I did not jump into his design earlier, I might have been putting together the same set of Altec components that he was suggesting in his design. I was independently searching for a horn to mate with the 288s. Rajiv pointed this design in 'Beyond Ariel' thread and I got hooked.

Cheers.

Hi,

Anil,when Santosh is back you should listen to his Lyrita DHT pre with the F5's and Altecs at your place.

I am betting the sound will be to your liking.:)

Regards
Rajiv

Rajiv,

My B1 et al are ready to go into a new preamp chassis for mating with the F5 Turbos. The preamp should be ready by Christmas and will be interesting to test out DHT pre and B1.

I was thinking at the same time to take one of my F5s to Santhosh and see it work in that set up.

Cheers.

TJ,

I am not a hardcore speaker designer like you, but I have gone by recommendation of Lynn Olson for the horn. While I did not jump into his design earlier, I might have been putting together the same set of Altec components that he was suggesting in his design. I was independently searching for a horn to mate with the 288s. Rajiv pointed this design in 'Beyond Ariel' thread and I got hooked.

Cheers.

I intend to use a waveguide for my current project. Even though my interest was towards the OS waveguide and unity horn, properties of Le'Cleach's curve looks interesting. Downloaded Jean Michel's spreadsheet today, if time permits, I would like to build samples of Le'Cleach and OSW for comparison.

During HFV BLR 2011, I had an interesting conversation with Rajiv as he was mentioning the the benefits of using a single driver for the entire midrange. I liked the idea then and now planning to try it out in my current project.

Last edited:
Hi,

During HFV BLR 2011, I had an interesting conversation with Rajiv as he was mentioning the the benefits of using a single driver for the entire midrange. I liked the idea then and now planning to try it out in my current project.

One of the more interesting variations. A modified version of the legendary JBL Paragon.

Vacuum Bibles: ??????.

Regards
Rajiv

Last edited:
Hi,

One of the more interesting variations. A modified version of the legendary JBL Paragon.

Regards
Rajiv

Great looking speakers, they will easily blend in with other furniture. I have come across some clever Le'Cleach horn variations that goes well with the room interiors - here is an interesting bass horn :

090517055721545253677910.jpg

BTW my journey in the constant directivity realm has started off in a good note with this experimental 320Hz Le'Cleach made out of cardboard :).

lecleach.jpg

Last edited:
BTW my journey in the constant directivity realm has started off in a good note with this experimental 320Hz Le'Cleach made out of cardboard :).

lecleach.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Looks Brilliant - awesome work

Last weekend, I had the opportunity to listen to Anil's Altec's in their latest avatar - Larger Format 288 with the Azura 450Hz Le Cleach Horn. The speakers were driven by dual Pass F5s in an active configuration, crossed at 675 Hz.

Anil has done a fine job in integrating the system wherein the system has the magical midrange and HF of the 288s (made a bit more special by the Le Cleach). Having heard his other speakers, I could appreciate how he has tweaked the crossover to get the kind of bass that he likes that too with the Altec 515 - super stuff. With the F5 Turbo V3 now completed, looks like another listening session is in order. Amazing how he completes his projects so quickly :).

Great looking speakers, they will easily blend in with other furniture. I have come across some clever Le'Cleach horn variations that goes well with the room interiors - here is an interesting bass horn :

Those are just gorgeous. Took me a few seconds to spot the 'floor' horns!

BTW my journey in the constant directivity realm has started off in a good note with this experimental 320Hz Le'Cleach made out of cardboard :)

Nice! What are your plans for the horn?

lecleach.jpg

Antony,

Trust you to come up with a brilliant looking stuff made out of cardboard. Amazing work. How do they sound?

Last weekend, I had the opportunity to listen to Anil's Altec's in their latest avatar - Larger Format 288 with the Azura 450Hz Le Cleach Horn. The speakers were driven by dual Pass F5s in an active configuration, crossed at 675 Hz.

Anil has done a fine job in integrating the system wherein the system has the magical midrange and HF of the 288s (made a bit more special by the Le Cleach). Having heard his other speakers, I could appreciate how he has tweaked the crossover to get the kind of bass that he likes that too with the Altec 515 - super stuff. With the F5 Turbo V3 now completed, looks like another listening session is in order. Amazing how he completes his projects so quickly :).

Thanks Santhosh for coming over and having a listen (not audition as George puts it). It is always a pleasure to have you over. Few things have changed ever since. Now the EMT is front ending the Altecs through my Sinovet MC transformers. Preamp now is the frontend of my DSP-A1. Sounds better than last time. Turbo V3 is now powering the Fostex BLHs. A new preamp consisting of B1 and MC/MM preamps is going to be ready this weekend. Overall a big mess of things....

lecleach.jpg

Way to go Anthony!! Saw the pic just now as they were blocked by my office network. Superb stuff there with the cardboard horn.

Appreciate if you can share more info/link on the system in the first pic? The Altec 805 horns have a cutoff of 500 Hz. So curious to know which driver is playing the upper bass and lower mids. Also what supertweeter ?

Antony, the horn looks great. How does it sound?

Nice! What are your plans for the horn?

Antony, Trust you to come up with a brilliant looking stuff made out of cardboard. Amazing work. How do they sound?

I tested the horn with a 2" hard dome midrange which I intend to use in my 3 way project, lot of experiments are due before I could conclude on this profile.

The higher spectrum seems to be most benefited by the horn. upper midrange and instrument separation is good, I need to tweak the horn, crossover and coupling before commenting on the lower mids, at the moment it's sounding a bit thin.

I intend to build a tractrix waveguide as well and do some comparative tests before choosing the horn profile that goes with my design.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back