Newbie help for HTPC

arnprasad

Hi All,

I have a samsung 46 inch LCD and a hacked Wii which I use to play video files on my TV. I have a pioneer 1020K receiver. My problem is that my Wii doesnt play files 720p and above.

I am not a techie and hence not smart enough to build anything on my own.

I have a Intel i5, 4GB ram and 350GB Gateway laptop with Blue Ray drive (NV 59) and an Integrated graphics card and a HDMI out. I have installed XBMC and will use my external hard drive to store and play audio and video files.

Will my laptop be called a HTPC? Also is it possible to control the XBMC on my laptop with a remote control and if so what kind of remote control is it and how much will it cost?

Last edited:
Will my laptop be called a HTPC? Also is it possible to control the XBMC on my laptop with a remote control and if so what kind of remote control is it and how much will it cost?

Even if someone does not call it HTPC, as long as it meets your requirement, you shall continue with the same. Your config is good and sufficient.

Now for remote I use cordless keyboard/mouse combo of logitech. If you have a mobile with android, you can install XBMC application to use your mobile as remote.

Even if someone does not call it HTPC, as long as it meets your requirement, you shall continue with the same. Your config is good and sufficient.

Now for remote I use cordless keyboard/mouse combo of logitech. If you have a mobile with android, you can install XBMC application to use your mobile as remote.

Thanks for your response. I will try and buy a wireless keyboard/mouse combo.

Another question - very common one - when I connect my laptop to my receiver via HDMI, only the video is being displayed with audio coming out from my laptop.

I googled and have come across answers like connecting my laptop to TV and then optical out from tv to receiver for audio...is there no simpler and free solution for this since HDMI is assumed to send both audio and video?..dont want to spend another 600 bucks for optical cable now

Which motherboard you are using. You need to configure your sound device is HDMI by default. This can be done by right click sound device icon in your task bar. If you could not find let me know. I assume you have windows 7.

Which motherboard you are using. You need to configure your sound device is HDMI by default. This can be done by right click sound device icon in your task bar. If you could not find let me know. I assume you have windows 7.

Yeah I have windows 7.. i did right click on my volume icon and am in Sound window..its 4 options - playback, recording, sound communication...opened all of them and clicked on properties and didnt see any HDMI option. Thx

Please post a screen shot of your sound device properties. Also post the model number of your integrated graphics card.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back