Newbie questions on system configuration (speaker/amp pairing, etc)

Sorry, I forgot the exact amount. I didn't get to audition the 9.2 as it was not in stock (or the 9.3), but I did get to audition the 9.6 floorstanders. It definitely sounded like a bigger speaker vis a vis the 9.1, but I also thought that some clarity was lost.

I saw your other post as well... I listen to your kind of music as well (mostly rock but with a lot of variation), and I really did not find the 9.1 suitable for my kind of music (I played A Perfect Circle). Interestingly, there was another guy at the audition who played Shakti, and it really sounded good!

I'm also currently trying to find a place in Pune that stocks the Monitor Audio Bronze BR2.

I played RATM on them. They kind off sounded small The bass was lacking but when they guy played a hindi track it sounded good. Did you audition them at Silo Media (mittal court)?

What others brands have you tried so far? I think we could share some dealer details.

I have just started auditioning speakers, and only got to hear Diamond 9.1, 9.6, and Quad11L. Yes, Silo Media it was! ?Haven't been to any other vendor yet. Do you know of any?

I have just started auditioning speakers, and only got to hear Diamond 9.1, 9.6, and Quad11L. Yes, Silo Media it was! ?Haven't been to any other vendor yet. Do you know of any?

There is one more dealer for wharfedale.But he is not ready give a demo (he says how many products can he display ata one time? :confused:)

Here are the details

NISARG AVISHKAR (for Wharfedale, Vanguard, DAC, AAD, Byford Audio)
Satara Road, Pune.
Tel: (9520) 24225001, 24223159, 9422030330, 9423566435.

got them from designer-audio's website distributors for Wharfedale.

Other than wharfedale I have tried out PSB B25 and will be auditioning the status 203 and RS180DC amps from Pulz Audio at Oceanic near M.G Road.

Last edited:
Sherwood 4109 seems to be a good VFM receiver... and it even has a phono input (I have an old LP player that I plan to repair and use as a source someday), has a healthy power output of 105W @ 8ohms, which should be sufficient for driving floorstanders as well (compare to CA Azur 340A SE rated at 45W @ 8ohms). It also has some solid features like discrete amplfiers for each channel and binding posts.

The one thing that concerns me is the THD rating (0.9%) and (bass) response of this amp (40Hz - 20KHz). Compare to Norge 2000 or 1000 rated at 0.04% THD and freq. response of 10Hz - 80KHz, and priced at 10,500/- and 9,500/- respectively. AFAIK, Norge amps don't have phono inputs though, and the remote is optional, but I can live with this limitation. In fact, I really don't want another remote! Am going crazy managing the existing ones! Plus, we can actually take the Norge amps to their Mumbai factory if it needs to be serviced or repaired.

Biyer, have you considered Diamond 9.5 floorstanders? It is more expensive at about 25k, but is a floorstander (made a big difference to my ears after listening to even high quality bookshelves), has a 6.5" driver, and has good low-end freq. response (30Hz - 24KHz). Diamond 9.2 also has a 6.5" driver incidentally compared to 9.1 (5").

Where did you audition the PSB B25, and what was the price? I would like to audition this speaker. Does it also have sufficient low-end and mid-range power for rock/alternative?

Sherwood 4109 seems to be a good VFM receiver... and it even has a phono input (I have an old LP player that I plan to repair and use as a source someday), has a healthy power output of 105W @ 8ohms, which should be sufficient for driving floorstanders as well (compare to CA Azur 340A SE rated at 45W @ 8ohms). It also has some solid features like discrete amplfiers for each channel and binding posts.

The one thing that concerns me is the THD rating (0.9%) and (bass) response of this amp (40Hz - 20KHz). Compare to Norge 2000 or 1000 rated at 0.04% THD and freq. response of 10Hz - 80KHz, and priced at 10,500/- and 9,500/- respectively. AFAIK, Norge amps don't have phono inputs though, and the remote is optional, but I can live with this limitation. In fact, I really don't want another remote! Am going crazy managing the existing ones! Plus, we can actually take the Norge amps to their Mumbai factory if it needs to be serviced or repaired.

Biyer, have you considered Diamond 9.5 floorstanders? It is more expensive at about 25k, but is a floorstander (made a big difference to my ears after listening to even high quality bookshelves), has a 6.5" driver, and has good low-end freq. response (30Hz - 24KHz). Diamond 9.2 also has a 6.5" driver incidentally compared to 9.1 (5").

Where did you audition the PSB B25, and what was the price? I would like to audition this speaker. Does it also have sufficient low-end and mid-range power for rock/alternative?

You can audition the PSB B25 at A.V excellence Akshay complex near. D.P.road.

Hi Arun, I am not considering floorstanders as space is a limitation in my bedroom. Also will be keeping my bookshelf speakers on brackets attached to walls (not recommended ). So what I am basically loooking for is a PSB B25 like bookshelf at a much lower price.The 9.2 seemed quite tempting at the price they weere selling for some time back(14.5k) But now it seems the prices will increase at told by the dealer(16k).

The sherwood amps specs dont seem that good on Paper. But donno ho they will sound in real.

OK Has anyone checked out both the PSB B25 and diamond 9.2?
How does PSB B25 compare to diamond 9.2 soundwise? How does the low end compare? What about dynamics

Recently I had a conversation with one of the owners of a HiFi speakers manufacturer based in Pune.He's also helping me get pre-owned equipment.

He was of the opinion that Due to high import duties, Shipping and other cost's what you end up paying for entry level foriegn brand speakers is much more than what they are worth.He even suggested a particular Indian brand instead if one is on a very tight budget.

This has made me wonder should I consider speakers by norge and Pulz audio instead??

Hi Arun, I am not considering floorstanders as space is a limitation in my bedroom. Also will be keeping my bookshelf speakers on brackets attached to walls (not recommended ). So what I am basically loooking for is a PSB B25 like bookshelf at a much lower price.The 9.2 seemed quite tempting at the price they weere selling for some time back(14.5k) But now it seems the prices will increase at told by the dealer(16k).

The sherwood amps specs dont seem that good on Paper. But donno ho they will sound in real.

OK Has anyone checked out both the PSB B25 and diamond 9.2?
How does PSB B25 compare to diamond 9.2 soundwise? How does the low end compare? What about dynamics

Biyer - as I have mentioned earlier, there is no point in comparing the Image series monitor with the Diamond 9.2. There is really no area in which the 9.2 wins over the Image. The B25 is overall the better speaker and by some distance.

Another option to consider is the Sonodyne 102R amp. It goes for 13k. However, I read another post in this forum that was very harsh on Sonodyne's decline in quality. Coincidentally, I spoke to a Sonodyne distributor and he said that the Sonodyne preamp/poweramp combo (20k) also faced quality issues. However, the amp looks quite slick as well, and has fairly good features like phono in, full remote etc.

By the way, does anyone have any feedback on Acoustic Portrait Monitor series speakers, or Corrson assembled kits? They seem to use high quality components like Vifa drivers, and seem to be a very good deal compared to imported speakers. Plus, we get to support an Indian company!

I also notice a big big gap in Indian speaker offerings. At the low/mid-fi end, we seem to have Norge, Sonodyne, Acoustic Portrait, etc. with speakers roughly in the 10-25 range. After this, we only have high-end speaker manufacturers like Cadence, Lithos, Lyrita, Audire, etc. who's range starts from 50-60k onwards. Are there no Indian speakers in between this price range? This is quite surprising as I would imagine that most people beginning their hifi audio journey (which is most people!) would want to buy speakers in the 20-50k price range.

Similarly, apart from Norge and Sonodyne, is there no other Indian company that makes reasonably priced but good quality amps?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back