Newbie: Transmitting TataSky video to LG80FR LCD via DVD using component?

avink

First up - I stumbled upon this site couple of days ago and was pleasantly surprised to find such a high-quality-discussion Indian site and the quality of response people get for their queries. Great Stuff!!! Keep it up!
I dont own the kind of cool gear/stuff folks mention on these forums (though I aspire too and might buy someday :) ). I have a Samsung Home Theater 5.1 DVD HT-TP33 and TataSky. I recently bought a 32 LG 80FR LCD. Now I am looking at hooking up these together in best possible way. As obvious, the video quality of the TataSky is worse than the CTV.

So basically I have this question:The Samsung service guy (though I doubt his statement) told me that since it already had progressive play, it also has some upscaling/upgrading capabilities built in (not sure if even progressive and upscaling are linked :)..anywaz.. I connected the Tatasky via composite video to my DVD receiver (because thats the only to get video out of tatasky). Then I have component-connected my DVD player to LCD BUT the video doesnt show up. However if I connect DVD via composite (video in) to LCD it plays fine). So would I get a better video if the tatasky signal is routed to LCD via component connecting my DVD and LCD? If yes then how?

Thnx!

You can't watch TV signal through your DVD player as there is no "input" on the DVD player. You have to directly connect to TV or via an AV receiver.

Tata Sky ----------- Composite Cable ---------- TV (in connection)
Tata Sky ----- Composite ------- AVR (in connection )---------- Composite ----- TV (in connection)

First up - I stumbled upon this site couple of days ago and was pleasantly surprised to find such a high-quality-discussion Indian site and the quality of response people get for their queries. Great Stuff!!! Keep it up!
I dont own the kind of cool gear/stuff folks mention on these forums (though I aspire too and might buy someday :) ). I have a Samsung Home Theater 5.1 DVD HT-TP33 and TataSky. I recently bought a 32 LG 80FR LCD. Now I am looking at hooking up these together in best possible way. As obvious, the video quality of the TataSky is worse than the CTV.

So basically I have this question:The Samsung service guy (though I doubt his statement) told me that since it already had progressive play, it also has some upscaling/upgrading capabilities built in (not sure if even progressive and upscaling are linked :)..anywaz.. I connected the Tatasky via composite video to my DVD receiver (because thats the only to get video out of tatasky). Then I have component-connected my DVD player to LCD BUT the video doesnt show up. However if I connect DVD via composite (video in) to LCD it plays fine). So would I get a better video if the tatasky signal is routed to LCD via component connecting my DVD and LCD? If yes then how?

Thnx!

You can't watch TV signal through your DVD player as there is no "input" on the DVD player. You have to directly connect to TV or via an AV receiver.

Actually the DVD player hav 2 AV inputs, 1 component out, and 1 AV out, and as i mentioned in my original post ...if i connect tata sky via AV to DVD player and then from DVD AV out to LCD it plays fine ..my only concern is i might not be leveraging my DVDs upscaling (if it has any) capabilities when i connect via composit rahter than Component.

Actually the DVD player hav 2 AV inputs, 1 component out, and 1 AV out, and as i mentioned in my original post ...if i connect tata sky via AV to DVD player and then from DVD AV out to LCD it plays fine ..my only concern is i might not be leveraging my DVDs upscaling (if it has any) capabilities when i connect via composit rahter than Component.

Mars this is the same confusion that a few others have had. When they refer to the 'DVD Player', they are referring to the main unit in an HTIB that has the DVDP and the amplifier built in.

AVINK, Tata Sky to AV In, and AV Out to LCD are composite all the way. There will be no upscaling. You will have some chance of upscaling only if you connect the Component Out to the LCD. Check if there there any settings you have to do in the HTIB in terms of specifying inputs and outputs.

But more important, I don't see any reference to upscaling or upconversion is the HTIB specs. Please check your manual again carefully and see where it mentions this.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hello Friend
Let me congratulate you on your purchase and I wish you many hours of delightful viewing.
I also picked up a 42LG53FR three days ago. It didnot have a USB in. Since the USB input seemed important, so instead of the 60FR or the 80FR, I picked up their DV388 hdmi out upscaling DVD player.
I also have a Tata Sky connection. I was wondering if I were to connect the TataSky composite connection through the USB connection of the LG388 player(via triple RC to USB lead), and connect the same to my LCD through HDMI or component, I should be able to use the upscaling capabilities of the DVD player to convert TataSky signals to 1080p or 1080i.
I haven't done this because I am scared I might fry the USB in of the DVD player.
Could the more knowledgeable members please help?
Thanks.

Even if it's possible to upconvert and upscale via the DVD player/HTIB, I wonder if the results will be any better than the inbuilt upscaler of the LCD panel.

Dear SHUVC ans spivorious,
Thanks for your helpful inputs.
My mind would be at rest if you could assure me that the plugging in of the composite out of the TataSky to the USB of the DV388 won't damage the USB port of the DVD player.
Eagerly awaiting your learned advice.

Dear SHUVC ans spivorious,
Thanks for your helpful inputs.
My mind would be at rest if you could assure me that the plugging in of the composite out of the TataSky to the USB of the DV388 won't damage the USB port of the DVD player.
Eagerly awaiting your learned advice.

Composite out of the TataSky to the USB of the DV388 will not help at all as DVDp will not recognise it.
You can try that & it will not damage the DVDp as it is not high current input.

Folks as far as I know, a lot of these panels will upscale only the component video signal (and that too 480p) and not the composite video signal or for that matter the RF input.

To complicate matters a bit, some of the AV receivers cannot switch video signals as in you cannot input a composite video and output a component video.

So if you want your set top box composite video output to be upscaled by your panel, my recommendation is one of these:

1. If you have a high end AVR that can do video switching please route your set top box composite video through your AVR and output a component video (or HDMI) to your panel.

2. Buy an external device such as one sold by Audio Authority which scales and switches between composite and component video and feed that into your panel/AVR

Personally I haven't either of them but here's my take: Your next version of set top boxes will have HDMI/Component out so you just have to live through this one till these pieces show up on the market.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back