Newcomer on the HiFiVision Forum

sbala2k1

My name is Bala, aged 48 years, an engineer from a rural area in Tamilnadu. During my younger age, I used to be a sound freak and was doing all sorts of audio arrangements available in the market for my home use. My favorite set-up was Sony Walkman (Dolby) + Technics Power Amp + Stereo Speakers. In mid 90s, my job made me so mobile within India, that had to carry the audio set-up wherever I go by train. Finally I had to rest all those, when I first bought first music system in 1999- Sony. Fixed it the middle of living room. Once again my job become mobile, but this time globally. I had to drop all my sound hobbies. Just was limited to Laptop, Mobile, headsets etc.

Going back, in 1993, I had a set up with all open amp circuit boards and pre-amps and even cassette players. Nothing was boxed up, all were kept open. You can see the motor turning, pinch-rollers pulling the tape, belts and mechanisms working. All naked. Only boxed up item was the speakers.

Slowly in late 2008, I got hooked in the digital sound world when I was in Singapore. I was in Simlim towers to buy a printer. Sound that came from an audio shop nearby completely mesmerized me. I went in. Without buying a printer, I bought a Denon AVR 5.1 and Wharfadale Speakers without even knowing what will be weight and how I am going carry them back to India. Brought them back to the hotel where I was staying. Fully confused on how to carry them to India. Then I used to travel almost every weekend back to my home in interior Tamilnadu via Chennai from Singapore. Brought all the kits in 3 weekends and set it up on the 4th weekend. My face was lit with 2000 watts when I heard the first music from the 5.1 set-up. It was a Ilayaraja Tamil song- Chinna Chinna vanna kuyil .... I was completely sleepless that whole night :yahoo:. I came to spend a long 4 days weekend with family, but spent only listening to music. After that, I never such a long time to listen to music. The set-up with Denon DVR, Sony Blueray, Wharfadale speakers + Tatasky HD + a Epson Projector on white wall still exists, but rarely used. I spend some rare time laying on the floor with all sofas and other furniture moved to wall listening/watching on this set-up. You can't experience that effect even in the nicest of the theaters in India or elsewhere.

I wish to spend more time and energy into the hobby again.

Frankly speaking, I am not following up with any new technological innovations or upgrades in audio/video area now. I completely ignorant of what is in the market now. Recently to buy a good headset, I struggled a lot to choose. I was in Dubai Duty Free running my brain around, Bose, B &O, Parrot etc. Finally selected B & O H8. Costed a huge chunk of money :sad:.

I have more to share in future posts. I humbly request, other members to educate and update me.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back