Next best option if I can't get a Toshiba U7980 (Budget 70k, Chennai)

psychotropic

My (old 2013 vintage) Samsung LCD died very recently. Thanks to the wise people on this forum and elsewhere I narrowed in on the 65" Toshiba U7980 as the best option to buy in my somewhat limited budget (70k max, and that too with the help of interest-free EMIs :p). I've been looking out for this TV since the end of November at least, but I've been unable to find any in Chennai (neither Amazon, nor Flipkart nor Reliance Digital have it in stock for Chennai).

Calling their call centre is of no help because they are spectacularly clueless. Sending them an email has been useless because no reply. (All these factors are also making me quite concerned the after-sales experience from Toshiba/Hisense).

I also checked the Hisense U7QF and Pricehistory.in showed me that it had during the pre-Diwali sales dropped to 72,000 on Amazon, at which price it seems like a nice upgrade from the U7980 considering the QLED and the better motion handling. But right now it's selling for 90k and therefore far outside my budget.

MY question for the learned members of this forum is - If let's say by the end of January I am unable to get hold of a Toshiba U7980 (or a Hisense U7QF at the 72k price point), what should I consider as the next best option in my price range? Should i Just get a TCL/IFFALCON 65 incher? Should I get a Vu? Should I get a Mi 65 incher? I know none of these offer FALD or high brightness, but of the lot, which would be the least compromise in terms of performance? And no my budget can't exceed 70k, I might push to 72k for the U7QF, but definitely no more.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

PS. I first got on this forum while doing a TV hunt circa 2008, when I ended up buying a Samsung Plasma, and here I am back again!

Did you check out this one, it's a new launch. No further info.

Samsung Frame will be the next best choice, but 65 inch may be little pricier.
I did yes, but didn't find it particularly exciting apart from the QLED. No FALD, no brightness numbers, and all that for 55k.

I did consider the frame but it's 78k and for 55 inches.....don't think I can stretch that much, unfortunately. I don't mind downsizing to 55, but I definitely don't want to go much above my 70k budget.

My (old 2013 vintage) Samsung LCD died very recently. Thanks to the wise people on this forum and elsewhere I narrowed in on the 65" Toshiba U7980 as the best option to buy in my somewhat limited budget (70k max, and that too with the help of interest-free EMIs :p). I've been looking out for this TV since the end of November at least, but I've been unable to find any in Chennai (neither Amazon, nor Flipkart nor Reliance Digital have it in stock for Chennai).

Calling their call centre is of no help because they are spectacularly clueless. Sending them an email has been useless because no reply. (All these factors are also making me quite concerned the after-sales experience from Toshiba/Hisense).

I also checked the Hisense U7QF and Pricehistory.in showed me that it had during the pre-Diwali sales dropped to 72,000 on Amazon, at which price it seems like a nice upgrade from the U7980 considering the QLED and the better motion handling. But right now it's selling for 90k and therefore far outside my budget.

MY question for the learned members of this forum is - If let's say by the end of January I am unable to get hold of a Toshiba U7980 (or a Hisense U7QF at the 72k price point), what should I consider as the next best option in my price range? Should i Just get a TCL/IFFALCON 65 incher? Should I get a Vu? Should I get a Mi 65 incher? I know none of these offer FALD or high brightness, but of the lot, which would be the least compromise in terms of performance? And no my budget can't exceed 70k, I might push to 72k for the U7QF, but definitely no more.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

PS. I first got on this forum while doing a TV hunt circa 2008, when I ended up buying a Samsung Plasma, and here I am back again!
I have a feeling that in Parry's corner there are a few shops selling Toshiba 7980 and 8080 at a wholesale price. I am planning to go there someday to check it out myself. I will let you know if it is available.

I have a feeling that in Parry's corner there are a few shops selling Toshiba 7980 and 8080 at a wholesale price. I am planning to go there someday to check it out myself. I will let you know if it is available.
Oh, that's interesting. Please do let me know if you figure this out. Thanks in advance!

U8080 havent yet released in india

Anyway let me re-pose the question. From among the BUDGET 65 inchers, which one would be the....least bad? TCL? Vu? Mi? Any others? Please do let me know if anyone has some insight on this subject.

I dont understand the U7980 is available in certain places and not in some. Is it due to covid restrictions? Tv is available in Mumbai but not in Nagpur.

I dont understand the U7980 is available in certain places and not in some. Is it due to covid restrictions? Tv is available in Mumbai but not in Nagpur.
I believe they were revamping their production after the govt banned imports from China earlier this year. The stock availability in certain regions is likely the leftover stock. This is also why the U80 never got released.

However, as an FM pointed out on the U79 thread, they are now assembling the TV in India, which is also why in some regions it's coming back in stock. I believe availability will increase substantially in the coming months as production picks up.

The patient and the early birds often win when it comes to purchasing value tech. Impulse buyers often regret their decisions.

Anyway let me re-pose the question. From among the BUDGET 65 inchers, which one would be the....least bad? TCL? Vu? Mi? Any others? Please do let me know if anyone has some insight on this subject.
Among the 65" models, the U79 and the U7QF are the only models I'd pay money to get below 80k. The rest (TCL, MI) are a sheer waste of money. VU has some good models but some really bad models too. So tread carefully there. I personally haven't looked that carefully at VU portfolio so won't comment on what you should buy.

There are no good reviewers in India. Most of them consider the new MI QLED as a disruptive set lol.

"Sheer waste of money" is a relative statement. What works for you might not work for others and vice versa. Again, I don't like beating around the bush too hard and you win if you do not accept what I said.

"Sheer waste of money" is a relative statement. What works for you might not work for others and vice versa. Again, I don't like beating around the bush too hard and you win if you do not accept what I said.
Please tag the person if you want to reply to them or quote them. A tag works like this (@lightgamer .....) and a quote will automatically work if you click the reply button at bottom right.

Also, if you think I'm wrong, please suggest a TV to the OP. I'm not aware of any other TV I'd spend 1L on for 65". So if you know of some other models, it will help the OP.

If you are willing to compromise on the size , you can get the Samsung Frame 2020 55 inch model at 74k (using an ICICI or Kotak card), it's 79k without the discount ( they have smaller discounts for other cards too) . It is available in Chennai for now. But the 50 inch isn't. So I'd grab it fast if I were interested. Seems like supply chains of most companies have still not recovered yet

Toshiba u7980 has changed the game completely. The price it operates from 45-67k completely obliterates others at this price range and also some other higher priced Tv's. Currently this is the most bang for buck Tv out there which makes other chinese brands a sheer waste of money at this price range. The only thing going against it is availability .

65" - Nothing even close to your budget.
55" - Nothing within budget. Samsung frame and sony x9500g are just above budget. X9500g better.

Bigger the tv, more apparent are the defects. Taking that into account Mi, TCL, other non names will fail miserably to deliver above 50"-55".

Toshiba u7980 has changed the game completely. The price it operates from 45-67k completely obliterates others at this price range and also some other higher priced Tv's. Currently this is the most bang for buck Tv out there which makes other chinese brands a sheer waste of money at this price range. The only thing going against it is availability .
There is Sanyo Kaisen 65" which might be a ok deal but nothing spectacular.

55 incher Frame is in budget if you have corporate account applicable for Samsung India site, bank offer and 3000 on site off(20k advantage) I saw price coming near 70k'ish for 55incher. Just check once.

Samsung Serif 55" is available for effective 70k from croma CC offer. Check if you have the relevant CC.

(94k-20k off) plus 0% emi and 4.99k worth free headphones.

You cant wall mount it but it looks absolutely stunning on the table top.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back