Nine meters to finish, Just bought my CDP

srramanujam

Its been a slow progress over two years and i am just nine meters from finish line.

(http://www.hifivision.com/my-audio-video-setup/14334-after-4-months-living-my-hi-fi-samsung-dvp.html).

Fourteen months after buying Usher MD1, and nine months after buying the Amps (Shindo + Khartago), i finally bought my CD Player (840C). The devilish luck chased me again. With the amps, it was a soldering that had come off, which i had to deal with some trepidation and anxiety. With the CD Player, it got a little more pulsating. Within about thirty minutes of playing, the CDP blew up and brought down the fuse in the house. The player also got so baking hot it was almost glowing in the night. Over a tense sunday, i waited for some quick service. With some help from Bombay dealership (though i had bought the CDP from the Delhi dealership to save octroi), i was promised a replacement. The only catch was that i had to take the CDP to delhi and take delivery of the replacement too in Delhi (its like a legitimate penalty for trying to save octroi legitimately). Though i shuttled to Delhi often, it took a month for me to plan a trip where i can handle this luggage (and some interesting and great lessons in smuggling a fully packed CDP in cabin baggage - try low cost airlines, they are more permissive, try T1 - the security is more accommodative and avoid T3 in Delhi, its too long a walk with the CDP). Also remembered the cliche, product screw ups happen and service quality can come to rescue.

Eventually, last night the CDP came alive and is playing still. With the CDP i have also added another Audio Art IC between the pre and monoblocks. I choose 840C CDP after listening to a few players and it seemed to fit my music taste (a lot Indian, both classical and filmy). It is also, to some extent future friendly with digital inputs (no USB though). True to the advice i got in the forum, the sound has certainly opened up a lot and it seems like a worthwhile investment (my wife is yet to close her gaping mouth since i told her how much it cost). I get a deep soundstage and the singers are sound like they are almost sitting in the french windows. I can hear a lot more detail, especially in A.R Rehman and Neil Diamond.

Now, i need nine meters of speaker cable to complete the set up. I am still using speaker wire bought from the friendly neighbourhood hardware store.

A deep comfort was flashing in my mind as i went through this experience. I somehow had the assurance that with an active hifivision forum around, i am certain to get good service. It happened exactly the same way, although it never had to figure in my conversations. An active forum like this makes the customer community more aware, and the dealers more sensitive. My sincere and immense thanks to all those who keep this forum alive, and hoping to see back those who left for one way or another.

Welcome SRR after a long gap, could not see your post in recent times or I am not active.

So another sound stage performance by an singer in your house too. I look forward to see/hear the same in my house too. However i don't have a french window in front and I have my blank wall with TV in front and i have a already put a stylish Welcome carpet to sit and sing in that:licklips:

Opps, missed the point and your last para is touching.. touching...:)

Fourteen months after buying Usher MD1, and nine months after buying the Amps (Shindo + Khartago), i finally bought my CD Player (840C).

Now, i need nine meters of speaker cable to complete the set up. I am still using speaker wire bought from the friendly neighbourhood hardware store.

Amazing audio journey I must say. Akin to a guy sipping his single malt and munching on 'Moong Falli / Meen Fry' instead of caviar, for 14 full months.;)

Dear Ramanujam,

Congratulations. Very glad to know that you are close to finishing your stereo rig set-up.

You are in Bombay, and so I do not see any difficulty in finding a good speaker cable for whatever budget. I know Sangram uses Cardas cables with his MD1 speakers. You may also look at a few of the Kimber. Dinyaar is the local expert there in terms of using many of these cables and also locating them in Bombay and also finding a good price for them. I suggest you seek his advice. You can also contact forum member magma (Ali). He is another inventory on everything that is available in Bombay.

You have written above that you are using an AA IC between your pre and power. Well, how about between your CDP and the pre? You need a decent IC there too. Please contact Dinyaar/Magma with your preference (neutrality etc) and information on the rest of your system (bright/warm/neutral etc) and your budget. With such people in Bombay (and many many others in stereo, and there are many more in multichannel), you should have absolutely no problem finding cables of your choice and budget.

We all would expect a detailed write-up of your listening impressions at various points of ownership (like they have in team-bhp: initial ownership reports, long-term ownership reports). Probably nobody except a few folks like me is keeping their rig intact a few months down the line and upgrading :sad:.

Regards.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back